Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > USA Cannabis Scene: State By State > Michigan > Thoughts on Michigan's new roadside drug testing?

Thread Title Search
Thoughts on Michigan's new roadside drug testing? Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2020, 05:21 PM #1
TheMan13

TheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant future
Thoughts on Michigan's new roadside drug testing?

After two years of secretive pilots, Gov Whitmer signed this new Roadside Drug Testing into law on June 11.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/go...an/ar-BB15meeD

Back in January during the second pilot I saw Michael Komorn state to Mlive while pimping himself (his law firm) as a "drugged- and drunk-driving attorney" recommend refusing the test and simply taking a civil infraction, but he makes no mention of the specifics about said civil infraction.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...rug-tests.html

Any thoughts?
TheMan13 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:49 PM #2
TheMan13

TheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant futureTheMan13 has a brilliant future
It's awfully hard to find any real information and/or reporting on these Roadside Drug Testing pilots as they have been conducted over the years. Worse I haven't really found anything post June 11, 2020 when the Governor signed then Senate Bill 718 into law as Public Act 718.

I did find an interesting interview with attorney Clarence Dass from October 18, 2019 addressing the then second pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Uu6VswlR8

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Old 06-30-2020, 12:45 AM #3
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivor
"So if you exercise your rights, they penalize you."
Good luck in Michigan man, shit sounds fucked.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM #4
TheMan13

My thought is that this new saliva drug device is simply a law enforcement investigatory tool analogous to the preliminary breath test (PBT) used for alcohol. If you refuse a PBT here you can also receive a civil infraction.

What is important to know/consider is that refusing either of these roadside investigatory tests does NOT mean a "certified Drug Recognition Expert" will lack probable cause to arrest you and get a warrant for a blood draw that will be used to prosecute you. Furthermore voluntarily taking and failing the saliva test will guarantee you that blood draw and likely prosecution.

That said, with alcohol we know the legal limits under the law: a blood alcohol content (BAC) of.08 or greater if over age 21 or .02 or greater if under 21. In addition, Michigan has a high-BAC law with enhanced penalties for anyone caught driving with a BAC of.17 or higher.

So what is the legal ng/mL limit(s) for Cannabis (THC) under this drugged driving scheme/"law"?!?

Last edited by TheMan13; 06-30-2020 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
Because of my neuropathy, I would fail any roadside test. Even sober as a judge who has never toked or dranked.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 10:44 PM #6
shaggyballs

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
I can not find the thread but AAA I think it was ....was unable to prove impairment.
Not what you asked about but all I got....LOL

What are the four D's of Disinformation.
Deny *Disrupt *Degrade *Deceive
shaggyballs is offline Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 PM #7
santamartagold

santamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the rough
"So what is the legal ng/mL limit(s) for Cannabis (THC) under this drugged driving scheme/"law"?!?"

Well I don't think there is a legal limit, or 0 is it. It would be like all the other drugs, it is in your system or not? For weed that makes it challenging because of the time it stays in your system. A good lawyer should get weed off this list, I think.
santamartagold is offline Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 02:03 AM #8
TheMan13

Although Michigan has not yet set a numerical impairment limit for THC as they arbitrarily push for these roadside saliva test and drugged driving charges/convictions, a half dozen other states have and they seem pretty scary IMHO

Six states have established per se limits for THC impairment. Colorado, Montana and Washington have set theirs at 5 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). Nevada and Ohio have limits of 2 ng/ML, and Pennsylvania has a legal limit of 1 ng/ML.

The last time I was tested for THC was during an extensive annual medical lab workup and I was found to be at 366 ng/mL. I had not ingested cannabis for at least 12 hours before hand, nor was I intoxicated as my doctor could attest to having spent the previous hour examining me.

I'd hope that being doctor certified and state licensed for the past decade as a medical marijuana patient would count for something in this regulatory capture scheme ...

Anyone else aware of their THC content?

Old 07-01-2020, 02:22 AM #9
santamartagold

santamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the roughsantamartagold is a jewel in the rough
My apologies TheMan13. I should have checked before I opened my stupid mouth.
santamartagold is offline Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 02:58 AM #10
shaggyballs

shaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond reputeshaggyballs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by santamartagold View Post
My apologies TheMan13. I should have checked before I opened my stupid mouth.
In a sense you were correct.
Like alcohol there is zero tolerance.

You can still go to jail if you are under the limit.

I am a medical patient.
I was pulled over, they found a 2 hit roach in the cab of my truck.
I showed them my card.
They took me to jail.
They impounded my truck.

I went to court thinking this was an easy win.
No lawyer like a dumbass.

Judge said my card was expired but did not want to discuss it.
I called the state as soon as I got home they said everything was fine, they sent proof in the mail.
She suspended my drivers licence for 6 months.
Gave 6 months probation with no cannabis at all.
I could take Vicodin, for my spine but I hate that shit.
I had a script at the time.
I could drink all I wanted to, I don't drink much if ever.

I had to go to marijuana camp, yea they called it that.
A sleep over intervention type thing, psychiatrists and everything there.

Funny story too.
This one time at marijuana camp........

I spent a lot of time talking with the shrinks about the problems with for profit prisons.
I found it strange but enlightening that they actually agreed with me.

Then I told my story over breakfast to a fellow inmate.
He said I know that judge, she lives in my town, she is a drunk, she is on a tether for it right now.
I told him how she suspended my licence.
He said she can not do that.

I said WTF you mean she is the judge she does WTF she wants to.
He said oh no, when you get home you go to the SOS/DMV and tell them you lost you DL and need a new one.

I said oh you mean a state ID?
He said nope, you will get your DL back.
I laughed and took it with a grain of salt.

We talked more throughout the weekend.
I started to trust him more by the end of it all.

I told a different, young kid about expungement.
He had no idea what that was.
I of course learned from experience....LOL
He was looking at a felony for just a bit of WAX.
He was going to change his major after 4 years invested.
It was going to ruin his life if only temporary.
This kids family had money but he was a wild child, but really smart and nice.

So anyway I got home and went to the SOS/DMV and told them I misplace my licence and they gave me a new one.

I was F##king amazed.
I had random piss tests for 6 months, that sucked.

For a roach no bigger than 3 hits.

Funny thing too.
Cops put me in the front seat.
The only time I was ever in the front seat.
I tried to get a good look at the new computers but he turned it away...LOL
I have been in the back a bunch of time never the front.
Anyone been in the front before?

My offence was attempted improper transportation.

What are the four D's of Disinformation.
Deny *Disrupt *Degrade *Deceive
shaggyballs is offline Quote