What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bho - large scale closed system

NorCalChron

ive never seen bho like that. Looks like a good way to do run a lot of material. Luckily for me the Okief is big enough for any extractions i need.

G

I unerstand you have a background in Chem., but where in the world do you (and others) figure this stuff out to begin with?!? Looks amazing though.

gordonliu

FOAF noted the yields were about equivalent to traditional methods.

Im thinking that replacing the steeping pot with a stainless sample filled column might increase overall system flow rate, without affecting yield (columns are ubiquitous in the chemical industry, for various uses, some unrelated)

also, increasing the pressure in the sample vessel should increase yield, and if not it tells you a whole lot about the plants anatomy (no appreciable cannabinoids inside the plant cells)

one final thing, replace all of the flexible lines with hard stainless lines. Not because shit in the lines dissolves (although that is a definite possibility for a closed system), but because the hardlines will make the system more predictable (less uncontrolled expansion) and efficient.

very minor suggestions that, clearly, are not necessary and may only modestly increase any performance figure. good job on the handyman skills! now if you want to be baller, model the system and see how you can make it work better! its going to be a great reminder of transport processes, heat diffusion, distillation theory, and thermo. Go Go Matlab power!

G

Now if I could gather up that much herb... thanks for the schematics :rasta:

foaf

Veteran
you can put a system together for about $1200

Ill put up some pictures soon, Ive been experimenting with some variations, but the original setup/process is still seeming to be the most practical. Damn its easy to make larger amounts of bho once you get this thing running. Im about 1/2 way through processing 2.5 lbs of bubba kush. I finally had to add in a couple of cans of new butane, there are some little losses when you trade out the hoses.

and why arn't you selling these??? i use $600+ a month in vector, just blowing out the end of the tube. you could make a fair amount off me and the other 20 or so guys i know who would buy this.

vinivici

FOAF ur the MAN!! im in the process of bulding one of these, i cant wait till its done... well actually im not doing the building my big bro does industrial ac and cooling work and this seems to be right up his alley.

I''l post pics when its up and running.

Thank you so very much for sharing you great invention!

-Vini

foaf

Veteran
cool - I just finished processing several pounds of bud. It is definately a reliable method of making larger amounts of hash oil. I do have a few changes in technique to tell about.

(caution this is not interesting unless you have one)

1 - I run a batch till it holds a vacuum, but thats not long enough to purge. I keep the unpurged but mostly dry oil to the side as I run another batch, and then I purge several batches, all in teflon bags, together by putting them back in the paint pot, setting the paint pot in a warm water bath, and applying a vacuum
2 - Ill try to do a diagram soon, but when I fill the vessel that has the cannabis in it (through the port that goes to the bottom), instead of changing all the hoses around to transfer it to the evaporation vessel, I just turn the "steep" vessle upside down and let the butane be sucked out out of the top port of the steep vessel that connects it to the tothebottom port of the evap vessel. I now steep for about 30 seconds and I shake it around for that time. Also, I run two runs on each pot full. I get about 70% the first time, clearer, and 30% the second run, slightly darker oil, I steep the second run longer. So to start off, I put the suction/recovery port of the pump on the evap vessel, the port on the pot that just goes to top/vapor, I connect the tothebottom port of the evap vessel to the vapor port of the steep vessel, and connect the tothebottom port of the steep vessel to the liquid port of the storage tank, and of course the out port of the pump to the vapor port of the storage tank. No hose changes are required doing it like this. I fit a small screen on the vapor port of the steep vessel, but it still gums up after a few runs and needs a pipe cleaner run through it.
3 - after about 5 runs or so, the butane must get some humidity in it, it takes longer to purge, so I now run it through a standard refrigerant dissicant cannister ever time I put it in the steep vessel.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
fruits of the system :joint:

104 grams total. looks dark but isnt, when you put 8 or so grams in a bag, it just looks darker, the one on the lightbox is softened and flattened. small teflon baggies are perfect for storage and handling. You can pop them in the fridge or freezer and then break off a piece of any size or crumble and pour the cold powder out.

vinivici

Damn dude, thats a LOT of oil! :woohoo: very nicely done, your Teflon bag idea is exactly what i've been looking for, no more glass jars and scraping!

how much starting material did you need to get 104g?

i've been trying to put one of these together in my spare time, another paint pot and a pump and im set.

I was wondering what do you think about putting the plant matter in some sort of net or mesh pouch? something that'll make draining without plant particulate easy, i might be completely off and it might already be really easy but it was just a thought.

Last edited:

foaf

Veteran
how much starting material did you need to get 104g?
about 1.5 lbs of bubba bud - you dont really need any filter with my system, the pot gives off surprisingly little dust into the butane. I do have a fuel filter inline in the tube that goes from the steep pot to the evap pot, but its clear and I never see any particulate in it. If you were using ground up trim maybe, but I just kinda tear the buds up with my fingers.