What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School Seed Grow.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Im starting this thread because another thread in here about germinating old seeds got me wanting to try these seeds i've had since like (earliest i can remember having them)1999 and are as old as 1995-6 maybe. I just separated the seeds i had in the little baggie, i made a most likely gonna pop pile, and a i don't think these seeds were done pile. i put 5 viable looking seeds in a cup with some water to crack. it was 4 seeds but one immediately sank to the bottom and i added a 5th.

all i can tell you about the seeds is they are weed, from guys on the street so it could be anything from anywhere in the 90's.

if this forum isn't for threads like this can you please move it to the microgrowers forum for me. thank you.

picture.php

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
all 5 sank to the bottom, none cracked open after 2.5 days. i had to manually crack the shells with my teeth before putting them in the dirt. lets see what happens. im prolly going to soak some more tonight since they usually crack and have tails by 2 days floating in water. we shall see.

GrowItOut

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

Let's hope you get some sprouts! Then maybe there will be luck for me too. I've just returned to growing, but have a few leftovers from '98. Some Kali Mist from Serious, Greenhouse's White Widow, Sensi Big Bud. I've read here that those old seeds are very worthwhile, as they represent old stock from legendary breeders. But before I try those I'm practicing on some fresh genetics.

Not sure what to suggest that might help. Some say scarification (using sandpaper on the shell), and maybe Rhizotonic (root stimulator) in the H2O.

Best of luck to ya! :wave:

Superstone

Some of the best weed I ever grew and smoked was from bagseed during the ninties.I knew alot of growers at that time and always had access to good "kindbud".I've been strain searching ever since hoping to find something close to what I used to grow back then.At any rate best of luck ressurecting those vintage seeds.My fingers and toes are crossed for you!

DRorganic

Veteran
i love kalimist. i have a cross i made from jlp sourdog that is rez sourD xogbx1 xkalimist
and so far both are very sativa looking slender leafs and one is very sticky just as frosty as my mosca c99bx. the other is i think a longer flowering pheno very slender leaf like a haze but full of bud .

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i never knew any of the names of the weeds we got back then, it was always random connections on the street, etc. anyway no one seemed to care, all i remember is most of it was sativa, soaring highs, we would be high hours from 1 blunt amongst 4-5 people. felt like you were flying and all you were doing was walking down the street, and so giggly, couldnt stop laughing if you tried. sometimes it was indica but mostly sativa's, or hybrids. one i liked was really trippy with a body stone, but not couchlock, just made your feet feel heavy, legs tingly, head feel like a balloon, as it came down it was very narcotic, if you couldnt hang you would be asleep 2 hours after you smoked, but if you managed to teeter on the edge... omg the closed eye visuals like dreaming while being awake. puts you in a trance or something, you are cognitive of everything you can hear but your mind is drawing pictures in your head.

Superstone

I grew this weed that really fucked with audio perception one time.It made me feel like I was at the bottom of a well and all sound reached my ears from above.It was really freaky and I enjoyed the hell out of it. The mature plant was about 2 feet tall.The buds were the biggest I've ever grown and it yielded 6oz. indoors in hydro.They were a little loose but looked like they were dipped in powdered sugar.The smell and taste was pure hash.I haven't had anything close ever since.Damn it!

ijim

Legendary breeders

Legendary breeders

Let's hope you get some sprouts! Then maybe there will be luck for me too. I've just returned to growing, but have a few leftovers from '98. Some Kali Mist from Serious, Greenhouse's White Widow, Sensi Big Bud. I've read here that those old seeds are very worthwhile, as they represent old stock from legendary breeders. But before I try those I'm practicing on some fresh genetics.

Not sure what to suggest that might help. Some say scarification (using sandpaper on the shell), and maybe Rhizotonic (root stimulator) in the H2O.

Best of luck to ya! :wave:

Most of the so called legendary breeders from the early Dutch days distributed seeds from US genetics developed in the 60s and 70s. The legendary comes from being the first to semi legally produce and distribute the seed.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
2 things, im never using jiffy pots again. this is the 3rd time i've used these and the 3rd time theres mold growing all over the pots 1 day in the dome. this time i used jiffy pots, in a jiffy dome, with jiffy starter mix. fuck that, im going with solo cups or something else, these coir pots look like the biz.

lightning has struck again.
picture.php

i hope some more sprout, and im transplanting outta this jiffy pot asap.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
picture.php

alright a week or so later. nothing else came up, but this guy is still alive(looks indica) . im done with the jiffy, i dunno how they do it in the greenhouses but all i get is mold on mine, and i know they use em in nurseries worldwide. ill prolly go back to the paper towel method, i don't think i've ever seen rapid rooters in any store and i only have cash i don't use credit cards so i can't order anything right now.

good old fashioned sprout in a paper towel then transplant to ...whatever.

GDB

im done with the jiffy, i dunno how they do it in the greenhouses but all i get is mold on mine, and i know they use em in nurseries worldwide.

I've never seen mold grow that quick on Jiffy pots, so its probably just algae. The only way mold would grow that quick is if they are old or you have mold spores in your grow area. Try spraying them on the sides and edges with a dilluted solution of H2O2 (not the plants) this will kill any algae or mold.

Paper towel method is the best, it's also my favorite. Good luck on getting things going.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
nah not algae, fuzzy white and green mold, anyway i dunno maybe those pots aren't supposed to see light and be moist? any rate. the seed is still going, im going to call it circa '94 for now. i transplanted it to a hempy styled container as soon as the cotyledons opened, i didn't wanna risk the mold killing it of any of that. been growing good so far, im hoping it doesn't take long for the roots to grow out the bottom of the jiffy pot, and at the same time im wondering if i shouldnt remix the hempy mix before the roots take off. this perlite doesn't hold water much and i dont wanna have to be in the cab several times a day... and this is just veg.

picture.php

i dunno if i posted this already but this was 2-3 days after popping above ground.
picture.php
picture.php

this is like a day or 2 old. as in 2 days ago.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i decided to dump it out of that perlite cuz it dries out too fast based on the other hempy i had in the past and my current one in flower. so when i empty out the perlite i see little teeny tiny bugs and when i go to reach for one it disappears. i thought i was tweaking but it didn't disappear it just jumped or something, really fast. anyway i didn't have time to figure it out and how to kill it so i just got all the perlite off the jiffy pot, luckily the roots had only just begun to poke through the pot so the bugs hadn't been eating my plant yet.

i put it in a different brand of seed mix this time, instead of using the jiffy brand i used the miracle gro brand. i did this last night before i went to sleep and 6-8 hours later when i wake up i took this picture.
picture.php

i can't believe so much growth in a couple of hours. these top set of leaves are the teeny little set of leaves in the middle of the last picture.

ijim

It will be nice toking on the exact same bud you toked on 15 years ago. I love it when I hear someone go against the grain and have some success.