What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why haven't my buds grown properly?

ChenBenTz

I did everything right this time and they still came out loose and airy.

1000w HPS, DWC SCroG w/H&G nutes. 8 weeks flowering.

Kept the temperature perfectly - 25C at the leaves and 20C at the roots.

No bugs, no diseases, no light leak, no pH issues.

And yet, absolutely terrible buds.

I feel like I want to give up.

Cvh

Supermod
I see that some leaves are clawing. Looks a bit overfed to me. The excess N during flowering might be the reason your buds stretched.

ChenBenTz

I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?

I

Ignignokt

I used less than the amount of nutes recommended on H&G's calculator. How would I control for N?

It's white widow. These are clones of relatively new regular female seeds but I don't see how the strain can be this bad. Is this really the max they can achieve?

What do you mean 'this bad'?
They don't look too bad, just a bit over fertilized or too hot, they still look like they have a while before they are ripe :dunno:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training

My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. :) Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! :tiphat: That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run. :)

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants. :)
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...

axle2u

don't be discouraged, buddy !!
chin up....march forward, and conquer

been doin that, all my life

have a beer, smile....
you will get there....persistence always pays off

axle R. robot
Canada....

money for nothin', chicks for free...

axle2u

My personal take...

First of all, congratulations on growing a crop all the way to harvest. :) Many, many, many growers have failed the first run. Kudos! :tiphat: That being said, here's my to-the-point assessment to help with your next run. :)

Very over fed. My goal is to shoot for a medium to light green, without deficiencies showing. The absolute minimum food necessary for full and healthy growth.

25C at the leaves? I prefer 20C and 30%RH max. RH has to match temps, at 25C your RH should be around 60%'ish. Cool and dry grows resin rich cannabis plants, like the premium hash producing regions of the world. Hot and moist grows giant sized flowers with a lower resin content, like tropical plants. :)
Pick which method you're going to use and stick with it. The plants want the transpiration rate to stay high and consistent.

Zero fade. I'm assuming they were the same dark green color at harvest as the photos? Just awful with chlorophyll and excess nutrients. Once the flowers quit bulking up in size, I begin dropping the nutrient strength to meet their reduced needs. Keeping 'almost' enough nutrient strength (gradually reducing toward harvest) continues the draw of nutrients from the outer leaves.

By the time harvest comes, the res only needs swapped out for r/o about 5 days before it. This leaches the remaining mobile nutrients out of the plant. It should look something like this...<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70975&pictureid=1880999" target="_blank">View Image

nice...
solid feedback...

axle robot

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i would say you didnt do too badly, if you are not happy with the results, it' probably genetics. the plants really don't look unhappy, maybe a bit dark green as mr. Curtis pointed out.

how is the smoke? white widow isn't really specially compact, shes on the sativa leaning side of things. oh how i miss the white widow i had in the 90s, she was such a lovely lady and i knew her inside out. got over 1 gpw every time and only took 9 weeks to be fully ripe, 8 weeks at a pinch.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I run about 15 strains a season, generally two of each. I'm always looking for the strains that perform well in the greenhouse environment I have at 49N. I love Angolese, but it won't finish properly here. Indoors you can control every aspect of the grow environment.
As previously mentioned genetics have the final say. Don't get caught up on a particular strain or name. Don't change a bunch of things you are doing either. Then you won't know what worked and what didn't.
Keep it simple, preparation is everything in growing great cannabis. I don't see a terrible overfeeding issue myself. I'm not a fan of synthetic anything when it comes to nutrients.
Neptune's fish and seaweed works great indoors or outdoors. Research the shit out of what you use(genetics, soils, Ph testing products and nutrients). I highly recommend Ace seeds...PM. Dubi or contact him through email. Let him know everything about your growing (tent size, Lights, containers and nutrients used). He will reccomend a strain for you and any changes you need to make. Your next season will blow you away! Peace

axle2u

I run about 15 strains a season, generally two of each. I'm always looking for the strains that perform well in the greenhouse environment I have at 49N. I love Angolese, but it won't finish properly here. Indoors you can control every aspect of the grow environment.
As previously mentioned genetics have the final say. Don't get caught up on a particular strain or name. Don't change a bunch of things you are doing either. Then you won't know what worked and what didn't.
Keep it simple, preparation is everything in growing great cannabis. I don't see a terrible overfeeding issue myself. I'm not a fan of synthetic anything when it comes to nutrients.
Neptune's fish and seaweed works great indoors or outdoors. Research the shit out of what you use(genetics, soils, Ph testing products and nutrients). I highly recommend Ace seeds...PM. Dubi or contact him through email. Let him know everything about your growing (tent size, Lights, containers and nutrients used). He will reccomend a strain for you and any changes you need to make. Your next season will blow you away! Peace

another very good post,

-axle robot

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I agree to not let it discourage you. It looks like you did lots of things right and you just need to dial it in a bit more and maybe grow something a bit more beginner friendly.

The genetics shout is not a bad one because White widow is an old school dutch line that I love and she is generally not a big eater.

I agree....your stuff looks decent in the pics. I would say it would likely be genetics aswell. I've had some strains that no matter what I did, I couldn't get the buds to thicken up and other strains that you don't pay too much attention too that do amazing. Finding good genetics is key to growing good pot, in my opinion. I cut some stuff a week ago that I thought was pretty fluffy looking and not too happy with, but as it dried, the buds tightened up and are starting to look really nice.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew a blockhead seed that grew like that. After about 9 weeks I decided the genes were so crappy I just chopped it down and composted it. Some seeds really are garbage plants.

Don't put all of your eggs into one basket of untested genetics.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
See if it gets you baked/satisfied! They don't look that bad and probably aren't finished anyway.

ChenBenTz

The fact that you guys think this is my first grow really proves to me how badly I fucked up here.

I've been growing for 5 years, this is my 25th grow. Man, did I drop the ball here.

Unless you're right and it's genetics. In which case, I'm still screwed.

I'll make another post to compare these pics to the final buds (it's not pretty).

maimunji

I will say opposite to others.
They look underfeed to me with terrible calcium deficiency from beginning of flowering. Fan leaves never reach full potencial look how small they are . Whats your ppm? There is always chance this to be genetick but i doubt look how chunky is top nugs. I think plant have some kind of potencial.

palmeezy

are these from clones or have you taken any in recently? how many times have you grown this?

can you bend the stems a good ways without it snapping completely?