What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

CrushnYuba

When i was a kid, Canada was the ganja growing mecca of north America. Supplied most of the usa. Now that the usa produces more cannabis then we know what to do with, what happened to all the weed being grown for export? Did everyone just scale back tremendously?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Most of the weed was grown by bikers. They just changed their focus to coke and chemicals. Speed (and dexies), acid and mesc was always around, but I don't see much of it anymore. I loved mesc. I'm going to try and smuggle a small san pedro cutting home this winter and try to get seeds if I can find them.

rod58

hey TychoMonolith , just read your thread and something aussie a1 said on page one or two
about a product called DE-TER .
i have used it for several years now , at home on my fruit trees and out bush in my grow .
a fantastic product ! its mainly alum , so non toxic , and it gives animals , birds etc a serious feeling of insecurity and that feeling is also passed onto their offspring .
here , my main offenders are kangaroos and its really only from treading on plants , rarely do they eat them and sometimes rabbits get stuck into them but rabbits being
insecure and very suspicious anyway are easy to frighten off .
give it a try , easily bought off EBAY for nine bucks for a 100gms .
get a few packs as rain does affect it and it'll need doing a few times .
cheers lad .

Even if i don't smoke now i anyway happy if all in canada is good.

Marijuana just some point but not is stuff for all live. Just my opinion. Full time weeding is absolutely stoned i think. And part time weeding is not possible in mostly case.

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
[*]Drop small packages of mouse poison in your grow. Lots of them. Don't open them. The mice will open them on their own. I know, I know ... I'm killing mice. But there was a mouse plague here so that's what I'm doing.

Nice thread Tyco. I wanted to comment on the tip about rodent poison. It may help reduce your population but it may also reduce the population of rodent predators like owls, non-poisonous snakes, various birds, not to mention cats, dogs, etc. the latter two could attract attention if people find their pets are getting poisoned.

Many rodent poisons kill by feeding the rodents coumadin, a chemical that prevents the ability to clot blood. They essentially bleed to death. Unfortunately anything that eats their carcass or that kills and eats them as prey can also get poisoned. Also, anything else that eats the poison pellets gets poisoned.

fwiw

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks. I use the same poison around and in the house and my pets are fine. Now maybe my pets don't eat it because they're fed, but I know for sure squirrels hoard it to no effect. They love and thrive on the shit. Lol

I do have fly bait that will kill a raccoon within feed of the feed, but I won't use that because the collateral damage would be significant.

I hate mice more than rippers. 6% of the deer mice here have hantavirus. So with 2000 mice per ha, I'm going to kill 'em.

40degsouth

Hi everyone,
I've really enjoyed reading the thread so l thought l'd chime in and see if l can help with a few of the problems.
An old mate of mine told me they used to mix grain and plaster of paris together, dry, for mouse plagues; after ingesting, the mixture would set in the gut. Non toxic, no secondary kills.......ethical dilemmas.....yes.
As for snails and slugs, they won't travel over saw dust and from memory, coffee grounds. They won't climb over a beer can with the ends cut off and placed over a seedling; but personally l use powdered lime in a two litre bottle, they definitely won't travel across that.
Once I'm in my patch l swap the lids over to one l have drilled a hole in and puff the lime around the seedlings. I must admit these days l use snail bait as well.......to be sure, to be sure.
Cheers 40

onavelzy

Veteran
Thanks. I use the same poison around and in the house and my pets are fine. Now maybe my pets don't eat it because they're fed, but I know for sure squirrels hoard it to no effect. They love and thrive on the shit. Lol

I do have fly bait that will kill a raccoon within feed of the feed, but I won't use that because the collateral damage would be significant.

I hate mice more than rippers. 6% of the deer mice here have hantavirus. So with 2000 mice per ha, I'm going to kill 'em.

I hope I didn’t come across as a know it all to you. We’ve had years of battles with mice, rats and raccoon sharing our house with us. I went the exterminator route one year. He laid out all these “feed stations” that held the stuff but warned me to clear any dead ones as soon as we found them to avoid the dogs getting them. I can’t imagine the dose in a rat would kill a dog but I know pets do die when the get into a bag of the stuff in the garage or whatever. I worry more about the owls and stuff. I’ve been trying for years to get the worlds best rodent hunters to roost in an owl house we put up. Never had one yet. But if we ever did, I’d feel like shit if I killed it with poisoned prey.

Hope you have a great year building on the last one. I had to give up my indoor grow due to electricity costs so I’m trying to learn OD on the hop as it’s my only chance. Thanks for all the tips. Fortunately, I can grow legal and I’m not at the scale you run but they are all still very good things for me to know

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I hope I didn’t come across as a know it all to you.

Not at all. We're all on the same team and here to share and learn.

One thing I love about growing (I only take a toke to test. Two tokes wipes me out. Lol) is that there are so many ways. I start my plants indoor, but everything ends up outdoor because I don't know how to grow indoor. It's a totally different skill set. I grew a couple small autos indoor this winter, but only to try and make fem seeds.

It's definitely not like the book. Lol

CrushnYuba

Why would you use rat poison? Rodents are not hard enough to get rid of that it seems like a good idea. I'll use it in my house, but not outside where anything can get it.

Out here the rodents we have are looking for water. Cali is dry in the summer and they are desperate. There is plenty of good food other then a ganja plant. They mostly chew the bark from the stem because they are thirsty. It's easy to trap them. Put out a bucket for them with water and a ramp in. They can't get out.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Rodents cant digest cork so using pieces of it baited with something works similarly to the plaster of paris and grain natural bait approach. A dog eating the cork or plaster of paris bait traps is still concerning though because its similar things a dog would be attracted towards.

CrushnYuba thats good observation about the rodents in your area being thirsty as the reason for going after the plants. I read a thread here on icmag awhile ago about a guy living in the swamp/bush explaining to dig for water at an angle to allow animals to get to it as well, otherwise they fall in and drown if you dig straight down contaminating all the water.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks guys. I'll move away from the warfarin and go with plaster I think. I've used a bucket with peanut butter on a stick before and it works well.

S

Sertaiz

tycho san pedro and peruvian torch legal and can be purchased on ebay. get one with a tip and use at least 4 inches for your clone

CrushnYuba

Rodents cant digest cork so using pieces of it baited with something works similarly to the plaster of paris and grain natural bait approach. A dog eating the cork or plaster of paris bait traps is still concerning though because its similar things a dog would be attracted towards.

CrushnYuba thats good observation about the rodents in your area being thirsty as the reason for going after the plants. I read a thread here on icmag awhile ago about a guy living in the swamp/bush explaining to dig for water at an angle to allow animals to get to it as well, otherwise they fall in and drown if you dig straight down contaminating all the water.

I live in an outdoor growing area. Everyone grows. Everyone has dealt with rodents. The bucket trick is standard. Dig a hole, put a bucket in the ground. Or make a ramp going up to the lip. Fill with a few inches of water. They can't climb up the sides of the smooth bucket.
Here, they are desperate for water so it's simple. But if you look online, there are all these ways to bait them with food to get them in the bucket. Google "bucket mouse trap". A coat hanger and can over it works well. You would be surprised how mouse after mouse falls for it.

onavelzy

Veteran
bBFXzyp3sks
Thanks guys. I'll move away from the warfarin and go with plaster I think. I've used a bucket with peanut butter on a stick before and it works well.

Hey Tycho, I had forgotten about this video showing this thug assed mouser:

[YOUTUBEIF]bBFXzyp3sks[/YOUTUBEIF]