What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Autoflowering guide for maximum yield

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
One of the most important nature of the autoflowers they DO NOT GIVE You a second chance to outgrow your mistakes like the photoperiod dependent types..

they will stunt and stop vegetative growth what will cause flowering and you end up with a "gnome"

first days / weeks will define the quantity of the harvest very heavily

let s start with basic rule about the root size, development and the connection of the bigger yield
autoflower wants to grow their roots very agressively in the early stages of their life. this means you have to use very light medium that time. also the shape and size of your growing container will limit your bounty, unless if it is grown in some hydroponic setups.

let's see what i am writing about :

You need the following ingredients (this can be varied ofc):

- 20 liters special auto pot
picture.php

- In a mix of 2/3 plagron royal mix 1/3 enhanced ugrow cocomix 2 spoon of mineral magic 50 grams batguano . rounded by 1 liter of light mix
picture.php

-and some paper rolls, filled with lightmix if You don t plant directly into the final pot, this is an option to avoid transplantshock or early rootbound
picture.php

picture.php

this way you can ensure the roots to grow down easily into the zone where the nutrients can be found, and they will be strong enough to eat it, and don t get burnt of it.
with this setup you can reach an average harvest of 80-120 grams

- give them as much light as You can, start them on a time schedule of 20/4 or 24/0 for the first weeks, let her take advantage on the limited vegetative period and boost her ! this is important. later you can set the lights back to 20/4 or 18/6

-use very lightly the nutrients they are very sensitive on overfeeding.

thanks for reading, and please add your experience what i miss from the guide!
( i will add more ideas into this post later )

must re edit this post because of the missing photos.

photos are back somehow

Last edited:

Vesnican

Yeah, the famous Skunkist way of growing Autoflowering strains. I have tried it this year after several years of experience in growing autos outdoors and I can definitely see a difference.

I personally add mycotrex to support life in the soil mix and haven't add bat guano. Rather use little bit more of my biobizz ferts.

Question: can be a grow considered as organic while using magic minerals? I was hesitating to add them too.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
I read to use big pots and transplant ASAP from starter pots before the roots get too far.

it is possible to do it with some strains, and some will reward you being gnome for that step, because of their sensitive root mechanism... i am tryin to make a guide to avoid all possible causes except genetic traits, which can affect your crop. and find out which environmental factors can make you fail at the beginning, flowering phase isn t that interesting because than they act very similar to the normal plants

@Vesnican you mean the mineral magic from ghe ?

Cvh

Supermod
Question: can be a grow considered as organic while using magic minerals? I was hesitating to add them too.

Mineral Magic is (or better said was) an organic product from GHE.
It consist of nothing more then a natural clay rich in minerals. Don't let the name fool you.

I tried to source a new batch this year but I got the reply from several suppliers that GHE discontinued the product. They said that GHE is now waiting for the wholesalers to sell off their remaing stock and then releasing a new product. Don't belief me? Try to source it yourself. Not many suppliers still have stock.

One of my mentors pointed out that GHE Mineral Magic is nothing more then Montmorillonite and possibly even just Bentonite.
Just look on the label on the Mineral Magic bottle and compare it to Montmorrillonite/Bentonite.

Montmorillonite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

Bentonite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

You are better of buying a bag of Bentonite (or better Montmorillonite if you can find it). Which is very cheap and should be easy to score in any decent garden supply store.

Google on the use of Montmorrillonite/Bentonite in farming or look on the label of the bags in the garden store.

GHE Mineral Magic:
Mineral Magic is a natural silicate powder, particularly important in hydroponics and soil less cultivation as it brings in a rare element, silicate.

Silicate is recognized as an essential element for higher plants.Mineral Magic contains ancient sea-bed deposits of biologically transformed organic matter, plus naturally formed silicic acid clay.

Mineral Magic contains the largest range of minerals (63 !), and provides a naturally soluble form of Silicon which enters plant cells and builds a hardened shield against disease and insect attack.*Mineral Magic’s natural colloids improve cation exchange capacity to nutrient solutions. This enhances nutrient availability.*It stabilizes nutrient solution pH and conductivity which reduces stress for rapidly growing plants.*It protects against toxicity of metals.

Mineral Magic meets organic guidelines as a natural additive for plant nutrient solutions. It is not a fertilizer, and must be used in conjunction with fertilizers to enable plants to grow

Liquid Earth
Mineral Magic is a fundamental complement in hydroponics, be it mineral or organic. By releasing silicate and more than 65 rare organic salts, it allows to bring “earth to hydroponics”. It is one of the basic components of “liquid earth”, a concept particularly sought after by bioponic growers.

Last edited:

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran

MINERAL MAGIC MEETS ORGANIC GUIDELINES

Sillicate(SiO4) 59.6%
Iron (fe) 4.7%
Magnesium(Mg) 2.5%
Sulfur(S) 2.0%
+65 other salts .

Very good buffer in soil mix.
:tiphat:

Vesnican

@Vesnican you mean the mineral magic from ghe ?

Yes sir, I always mess that product name :angrymod:

MINERAL MAGIC MEETS ORGANIC GUIDELINES

Ok buddy! I'll give it a try next season! Do you think it requires more flush time? I usually flush 2+ weeks, I am just curious.

When the discussion brings us to flushing.. Every year I face the same issue, to flush enough to ensure pure taste, but to avoid plant sweating causing bud rot.
This season I was finally able to achive "can size" top bud on one of my green poison af. Eventhough we got really dry summer in my region, fu#*ing budrot appeared. It developed from inside, there were no signs from outside until it was too late. I earned a lesson and now I carefully inspect buds, wearing clean gloves, no matter how dry season is.

Last edited:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
that s one of the reasons to add silicas into your medium, improves cells, and overall resistancy of the plant

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I do the same thing as the 2nd picture in first post. I use the manure cups and cut the bottom out. Then the roots can freely grow out into stronger organic nutrients.
I plant Labor Day weekend in my greenhouse. Never transplant Auto's! Start them in the biggest final container you have room for. 35 and 45 gallon grow bags work well for spacing in a greenhouse. Chicken poop, Leonardite and ground kelp for amendment's. I really like Neptune's fish and seaweed for nutrients.
Feel free to look through my albums. Happy growing! Peace MedDakotabis

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i didn t add all the pictures, but the pot is removed and its place is filled with no nutrient value medium

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have a bunch of Autoflower seeds that I've been trying to grow and getting low yields every time. The buds turn out frosty as hell and dense. I use fox farm ocean forest soil bcuz thats the best soil i can get at my local garden shop. I'm now realizing that I should be planting in bigger pots. What about feeding any organic bloom fertilizer or calcium and magnesium to the plants?

PS: i like the concept of this post.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
at the stage of flowering autoflowers behave very similar to normal plants, excepts the light cycle, and the smaller nutrient need. this is why i focused on the first weeks of their lifecycle.
you can add organic ferts in that phase, and can add gypsum(for example) into the soilmix to release slow Ca there are plenty of methods to add Ca or Mg

Solidopc

Been unable to grow for almost 7 years but fast approaching I will be able to do a small grow unlike all my previous ones. As I havnt really been around for a while. I'd just like to ask which are the best auto flowers you've grown and recommend for great taste & if decent yield. Don't mind indica or sativas. Just like great taste. Cheers dude.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
what kind of taste are you looking for ?

now autoflowers has nice range of good tasting herbs, in taste the best for me was [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sour diesel auto from DINAFEM [/FONT],similar good taste is sour rocket,

autoak47 from huba had really fruity taste and smell, decent yield is up to you on autoflowers, depends on the way you grow them.
automazar, and autonorthernlights from dutchpassion and royal queen are good for some stinkier weed

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Ace seeds hands down is the best. Two new releases coming this spring. They have isolated the auto trait into a Malawi dominate female. Now they are using the new mother in new crosses. Zamaldelica and Panama, I will be running a full auto grow in my greenhouse this summer.
Peace

OakyJoe

OGJoe / Wiener und kein Allemann
Veteran
Mineral Magic is (or better said was) an organic product from GHE.
It consist of nothing more then a natural clay rich in minerals. Don't let the name fool you.

I tried to source a new batch this year but I got the reply from several suppliers that GHE discontinued the product. They said that GHE is now waiting for the wholesalers to sell off their remaing stock and then releasing a new product. Don't belief me? Try to source it yourself. Not many suppliers still have stock.

One of my mentors pointed out that GHE Mineral Magic is nothing more then Montmorillonite and possibly even just Bentonite.
Just look on the label on the Mineral Magic bottle and compare it to Montmorrillonite/Bentonite.

Montmorillonite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

Bentonite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

You are better of buying a bag of Bentonite (or better Montmorillonite if you can find it). Which is very cheap and should be easy to score in any decent garden supply store.

Google on the use of Montmorrillonite/Bentonite in farming or look on the label of the bags in the garden store.

you can source it on ebay europa if you based inside the EU :)
1 Kilo is about 7-10€ including shipping :)

regards!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Been unable to grow for almost 7 years but fast approaching I will be able to do a small grow unlike all my previous ones. As I havnt really been around for a while. I'd just like to ask which are the best auto flowers you've grown and recommend for great taste & if decent yield. Don't mind indica or sativas. Just like great taste. Cheers dude.
I've been impressed with "Afterthought Autos" so far. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts