What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Dankwolf

1: this thread is open to all that are interested in breeding.
2: this thread is mainly about the search/breeding/info/science behind rks skunk and what will get us there
3 : i would like to keep things postive. so i dont want any talk about it not being possable and or that only one person has it and we are all sol .this typ of info is not helpful and has no use in this thread
4: lets bring rks skunk back to life.

Ok i finaly have a direction for my skunk project. I had a few people ask when i planed to pull some of my old genetics back out so this is my answer to them. At this point i need to explain one major thing i do not sell seeds or pot so if and when i share any seeds they will be given away. I am in this for the love of the plant not for money or to be cool.

I have some good older genetics in seed form and i have been trying to decide how i want to procced in my new skunk rks project. The seeds i will be using to find a male are.

1st (male search)cali-o from a old head that i gpt about 10 years ago. Unfortanitly i did not write notes on the parents used all i know is its is just cali-o x cali-o . i do remember the smell of the plants being a fruity/skunky rks / citrus smell in that order. (does not really match desriptions i have seen).

2nd (male search )will be some mexican red hair from a freind . he has been running this strain for a long time and there has been no out crossing done . smell is not the best on it. Just vary old school smelling like good brick weed and lime green with lots of vary red hairs / seeds . he does not pull all males and only grows from seed .

Female s will be cotton candy and "the white " there are pictures in my profile.

I also might inclued if i feel necessary northern lights 5, northern lights 1 and possably a vary special s1.

I am aiming for a lime green leafer bud with minimal dark red hairs with a dizzying rks smell .here is a pic off google ( not mine) that looks close to my end goal looks wise.

Dankwolf

Working on it tonygreen. I have alot of info to add over the coming days it will take me awhile.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Isn't the cheese meant to be either sk1 or a straight hybrid at least? Would it not be worth doing what the others are doing ATM and selfing the cheese and recrossing the s1 seeds to try to recover some of the other possible combinations of the genes.

Dankwolf

I am not trying to recreat sams skunk 1 or cheese(witch are great strains on there own). I am looking to recreate the rks that used to be around oregon and many other states . i am not sure it was even related to sams skunk in any way honestly (i have no prof) . many have tried to get a real rks out of skunk 1 and cheese but after playing around with cheese and skunk 1 i see no way to get a true rks skunk out of them . it seems to have been breed out of them if it was even ever there .

The rks/ skunk i speak of is in every thing its just hidden . i will explain the hidden part at some point . i am going to be isolating geneticly what it takes to get the rks smell /taste . There is more to it then just genetics. i will be going over that aswell and maybe slownickel will hop in and help elaborate on this part of it.i am attemeting recreat the genetics that will produce the smell and taste nothing more nothing less and if you search the back ground on the strains i am using they all have a skunk /rks. Smell, taste, looks and some even my have the rks in them .

The skunk that most refer to are sams skunk witch repersents vary little rks if any in my opinion . i am not looking to recreat that . Many have attepted this and what do we have nothing .so i am after the Afghan side of things that is repersented in many strains .

I have some info and experiance with true rks and it is not what most would think from what i know and have seen . if you trace the time line of when skunk arived and what genetics arived at the same time it will tell the story of where the rks came from and i belive it was afgan/northern lights that brought us that unforgettable rks that i was vary familiar with . light green /deep red hairs/ leafer and triangle shaped buds .

I still have a lot more to add it will take time i am vary busy this week end but i still plan to describ my strian choices.

Last edited:

Dankwolf

My female/Afghan choices for project.

My female/Afghan choices for project.

My Afghan choices : all are clones so no male to use.

1st cotton candy :
i would say its a 70% to 80% rks with a 20% sweets/spicy/berry note. the few i let try it say it reminds them of the old days .3 bags or jar you can still smell the skunk but not perfect . buds also dont have the look that i want .

2nd "the white":
with this strain i was vary unsure at first atfter two indoor try's with less then steller results . under hps = hard small nugs and plants stretch out of control and smelled of lawn clippings lol. So before i chucked ut in the compost i tried one out side and guess what no smell for weeks then all the sudden right in the 9 week of flower a rks smell started showing up and plant did not stretch and look is close to what i am wanting look wise . the only smell i am getting is vary mellow rks smell . there are rumors that it might be just a special northern lights (cant prov it).

3rd rks s1:
Plant shows no resemblance to its perents in smell or taste and i dont know why. the genetics are there just not sure what it will take to bring them back out . i dont know alot about s1 or fem seed .

Pics coming soon.

The back ups if these should not work are afgooey,norther lights 1,2 or 5

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this is your goal... Good luck...
I see years of work in order to realize success in this endeavor.
I doubt RKS was ever stabilised & would be willing to bet that it just pops up at random when the right genetics are involved.

I think it's highly unlikely you'll find what you desire using seed stock that was breed for sweet aromas & flavors. (Cotton Candy)

AND
There really is NO SUCH THING as Road Kill Skunk... That's a very recently made up name for the purpose of selling seeds & nothing more... That said... There is NO SUCH THING as RKS S1.

However,
If you can make & stabilize for RKS terps you'll be the very first.
Again, good luck.

Dankwolf

If this is your goal... Good luck...
I see years of work in order to realize success in this endeavor.
I doubt RKS was ever stabilised & would be willing to bet that it just pops up at random when the right genetics are involved.

I think it's highly unlikely you'll find what you desire using seed stock that was breed for sweet aromas & flavors. (Cotton Candy)

AND
There really is NO SUCH THING as Road Kill Skunk... That's a very recently made up name for the purpose of selling seeds & nothing more... That said... There is NO SUCH THING as RKS S1.

However,
If you can make & stabilize for RKS terps you'll be the very first.
Again, good luck.

The cotton candy you speak of must be from some one else . the cotton candy i have has no real sweet to it compered to todays strains . this cotton candy leans vary heavy to the Afghan side of its genetics . as far as rks being real or not i dont know cause thats just a name . when i say rks i am refering to a specific cut that did exist (i smoked /pushed a bunch of it back in the day lol )

I am not like most so called breeders . i expect to take 5 years minum on this project maybe 10 makes no differnce to me . main reason i started this thread is to share info /gather info for anyone wanting it .

You are correct about 1 thing the rks i speak of had to have been a complete enomaly and was never stabalized. If it was stabelized the s1 stock would have had the triats. The s1 stock i speak of is not from a seed company lol or a breeder i will leave it at that .

One big reason we dont see it any more is due to current growing methods . i will get into this explantion at some point just not now .

Also your pushing the line as far as rules for this thread

Last edited:

Dankwolf

Cali-o from and mex red hair seed will be used for the male search . i will do a brake down of my reasoning later .

Thcvhunter

Veteran
One big reason we dont see it any more is due to current growing methods . i will get into this explantion at some point just not now .

Yuppers.
My buddy up north just got busted after we figured it out. No way to get the RKS expression with hydro/synth. One must realize that much of the information and products out there for growers is wrong and meant to keep the average joe from properly growing cannabis. Anyone can keep a weed from dying for a few months. It takes some wisdom to grow cannabis.
And yes, RKS expressions were found in several of today's strains.

:) :) :)
The end of hydro is just around the corner
:)

Dankwolf

Yuppers.
My buddy up north just got busted after we figured it out. No way to get the RKS expression with hydro/synth. One must realize that much of the information and products out there for growers is wrong and meant to keep the average joe from properly growing cannabis. Anyone can keep a weed from dying for a few months. It takes some wisdom to grow cannabis.

Yup lol .

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
how bout the chems? do you think any of those have an rks aroma? ive grown a lot of stardawg which definitely has some gnarly skunk smells going on.

Dankwolf

Yuppers.

If you dont mind . can you elaborate on your findings . i will to here soon .underatand if you dont want to share lol.

Dankwolf

My male choices and why

My male choices and why

1st: cali-o from old stock (not from a seed company)

This strain is well known for a skunk rks/citrus aroma . my goal is to isolate the sativa side of this strain beacuse i belive how it went down is people were growing a skunk (sativa) and wanted a earlyer finishing plant so they crossed it to a kush (indica) not careing about smell and the citrus they added (fits time line) . i belive this older stock will be the best choice for the male due to the easy identafaction of the skunk side of the gene pool (the sativa side lol ).

Picture coming after i start seeds . soon lol

2nd : male choice will be a mexican red hair ( not from a seed company)
Mexican red hair fits the time line and genetics that would have been aviable and more then likely being grown by many . so the chances are it will provide the needed traits . aldi i have smoked and seen this paticular plant many time s and it fits the bill look wise and has a goos old school smell that i belive could fit the bill . desription earlyer in thread.

Pictures coming soon after i start seeds . soon lol.

The reason older genetics are going to be used for the males is not only they were more then likly in the mix. They are also genetically diverse and not bottel necked like many of the strains people would think to use . i believe by introducing these two genetics with there exstensive diversity it should yield many differnt possibility s and there for many different options . yet still based of two females plants that allready are repersenting ether the look or the smell.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Sensi star has potenial if thats in stardawg.

Never grown Sensi Star myself, nor seen a living plant but the SS i smoked in Amsterdam wasn't skunky.
..and i was abit dissapointed after all the hype i read about the strain, but maybe it was not the best pheno.

Peace.