What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ProfessorLefty

JustGrowing420

Have you ever split open an aged Turkish fig?
Nice yeah looks like a dried fig inside
:biggrin:

Love the caramelized look of the resin

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice yeah looks like a dried fig inside
:biggrin:

Love the caramelized look of the resin
If you, like smoking oil still? (I used to love it ha ha).
Once the cob has aged extract the oil with a clean qwiso or similar its like having your eyeballs wide open from one hit!

We used to grind up some cob and mix it with the oil extracted from it into a tar like substance.
Roll matchstick thin joints and take 2 or 3 sips and trip out like your on Mars ha ha.
Smallest joints ever and with something like GT it will have nothing that can touch the high very addictive.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have some OHz about ready to pull, and I want to make some cobs. I was gonn get a vac sealer but now I see parchment paper being used.

This thread is over 300pages now. Can someone please lay out the easy to read steps on the parchment tek?

CDNINCA

I have some OHz about ready to pull, and I want to make some cobs. I was gonn get a vac sealer but now I see parchment paper being used.

This thread is over 300pages now. Can someone please lay out the easy to read steps on the parchment tek?
Hi flylowgethigh,
I'm still new to this myself and am just figuring it out but hopefully this helps. You will need a vacuum sealer - keeps things from spoiling during each step of the process. As you need to open, inspect, re-seal the cob(s) a few times during this process, having a vacuum sealer is key. There may be other options, but its sure helps to have one.
Corn husks have been used historically to wrap the cobs, but there are other options too. When my latest crop was ready to cob fresh corn was not available. I used parchment paper as an alternative but I also know some also say that you can go without - just roll up the product as tightly as possible and vac seal, then begin the process. I think it might be easier if it's wrapped, but I've not tried the "aux natural" method.
I hope that others with much more experience than I have also chime in here...
Hope that helps, Cheers!

Tangwena

Veteran

As far as I know parchment paper is only used to wrap the compressed buds. I haven't used it myself though.
You will need a vacuum sealer though.

Tangwena

Veteran
Do I cut off the leaves, dry by hanging on a rack, then make the cob? What kind of moisture? What is sweating?

I’ll get a vac sealer. Thanks
There are many variations to how to do this.
But given the type of plant and its buds.

Dry the buds as per your usual method for jar curing.
Just take them a bit earlier in the drying process.
Say when your thinking they might need another day drying before going into the jar would be about right.

You can use any shape but rolled like a huge joint is normal.
You dont need a wrapper like paper or anything else naked is just fine.
The vacuum sealer will compress them just fine.

Once sealed in the vacuum bag you need to put them somewhere with a nice warm temp between 28 to 35c is best.
This causes them to sweat moisture inside the bag and start to change color.
Once the color starts changing remove from the bag and slowly dry the excess moisture until it feels dry to the touch.
Reseal and store in a warm 25c to 30c place to cure.

Once you start post pics ect and fellow cobbers will chime in with their own opinions and guide you through the process.

ProfessorLefty

If you, like smoking oil still? (I used to love it ha ha).
Once the cob has aged extract the oil with a clean qwiso or similar its like having your eyeballs wide open from one hit!

We used to grind up some cob and mix it with the oil extracted from it into a tar like substance.
Roll matchstick thin joints and take 2 or 3 sips and trip out like your on Mars ha ha.
Smallest joints ever and with something like GT it will have nothing that can touch the high very addictive.
You know what, I bet just soaking cob in 151 grain alcohol would make a fabulous tincture, I’m thinking maybe 1g cob per 5ml alcohol (~.2g cob per ml tincture)?

ProfessorLefty

Do I cut off the leaves, dry by hanging on a rack, then make the cob? What kind of moisture? What is sweating?

I’ll get a vac sealer. Thanks
I just made 4 cobs at various moisture levels, I weighed the entire plant at harvest and took cobs when the plant had dried down to 50%, 40%, 35%, and 30% of harvest weight—looks like best time to cob is when the plant is 30-35% of harvest weight (plant is fully dry at 25% harvest weight)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks all. I will be cobbling wispy haze. It sounds like the moisture should be such that if they were jarred, they would feel too spongy the next day. Haze is tricky to dry. I have to really watch the jars the first few days.

The pistals like to fall off, the sugar leaves that didn’t get wet trimmed are in the way, smalls dry faster than bigger buds.

Cobbing sounds perfect for haze. Lay out a sheet of parchment, cut the buds off the stems above the paper, catching all that is dropped. Minimal tric loss this way. Pick out the seeds, and roll and vac pak a cob.

I can put the cobs in front of the dehuey exhaust for the temp. Or figure out a way with the led lights in the tent.

Thanks again all, I can get started now and the OHz pull is about to get serious. Any of you cobbers want some haze seeds shoot me a pm. I knocked up OHz with OHz and C99 pollen, so the seeds are either pure OHz or Hazy Cindy.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have my first two cobs sealed and sweating. This is going to make harvesting small and wispy haze buds so much better. I can use scissors to scrape the buds off a stalk onto the parchment, roll it all into a wad, ad the cob will glue it all back together. I think. We’ll see.

I screwed up the first vac bag, so I put that cob in with the other bag, and vac’d them together.

94F37AC8-DA68-494C-A637-522BEF7204AC.jpeg

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
I have my first two cobs sealed and sweating. This is going to make harvesting small and wispy haze buds so much better. I can use scissors to scrape the buds off a stalk onto the parchment, roll it all into a wad, ad the cob will glue it all back together. I think. We’ll see.

I screwed up the first vac bag, put that cob in with the other bag, and vac’d them together.

View attachment 18804321
Please post pics of the buds as you roll them up before and after pics.
Also when you open them later it helps us to help you.

Taima-da

A few years ago I made some Afghan hash plant cobs that were started way too wet and turned into sticky black dog turds.
They sat around not being used for a year or two but never really dried out nicely and I couldn't work out what to do with them. After a very thorough drying (weeks open in a very dry room) and reading Tangewa comment on cob oil I decided to grind them up and soak in food grade ethanol. Filtering and drying left a black mass, liquid when warm but shatter hard when refrigerated. This rubbed through some cob was pretty amazing smoked.
The first time I was in a tree and just melted down through the branches after the first hit or two.
Unforgettable.
But very heavy on the lungs.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Ok, I’ll roll up another from a jar that is a little wet, with some semi-dried buds scraped in to add moisture…

This took about 15 minutes, from starting to scrape the buds off the branches to sealed. Notice how the branches get scraped clean between the scissor blades. The hardest part was picking the seeds from the scrapings. Doing this on parchment helps keep the trics in the pile. If this works it will be so perfect for haze.
6B6DD02B-067D-484D-85FE-FCDA2D1B5622.jpeg
ED5EA990-E5F7-4DDE-8391-EF3368B9D27A.jpeg
5A7C6A7B-C33A-4C8C-92B7-53B5D622157F.jpeg

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You know what, I bet just soaking cob in 151 grain alcohol would make a fabulous tincture, I’m thinking maybe 1g cob per 5ml alcohol (~.2g cob per ml tincture)?
I can imagine using cobs to make butter. I am hoping that a chunk can be sliced up and rolled or vaped.

Thanks Tangwena, I have been waiting for the chance to try this cobbing technique.

Tangwena

Veteran
I can imagine using cobs to make butter. I am hoping that a chunk can be sliced up and rolled or vaped.

Thanks Tangwena, I have been waiting for the chance to try this cobbing technique.
Reply I have made coco butter from cobs but while they are strong the actual cob material has a far better high IMO.
Lately I have been using double my usual dose even more sometimes, chewing the cob into dust and sucking as much juice out of it as I can.
Then spitting out the remaining material instead of swallowing it.
WOW! the high is so much more clearer and trippy with no or little sedation.
If I swallow everything I get a powerful effect all right but a little too stony for my taste.
I think I will continue doing this as the high is unbelievable.

Taima-da

I also find the whole plant experience of chewed cob preferable to extracts.
Always seems to lose something in the extraction process.

And swallowed cob in any dose over 0.1-0.2 usually does slay me for some portion of the day- in a good but maybe not so functional way, somewhat depending on the cob. Usually a very brief lay down- ten minutes or so and we're good to go, and as Tangwena has described, higher.
May have to try spitting a bit more rather than religiously chewing and swallowing.