What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats your Favorite, and least favorite coco coir "brand" and WHY

As question states.. I had GREAT results with random brand from amazon [bricks).. Had bad results with getting premixed coco [bag]... So wondering what everyone else thinks/feels ect

i bought a brick of Coco coir through uncle jims worm supply amazing stuff it was soft and fragilic then i bought a brick of burpees but its not like that in any way and that was kind of a let down all on its own. Typically with soils and substrates as long as you take care of them you can typically use them non stop.

i bought a brick of Coco coir through uncle jims worm supply amazing stuff it was soft and fragilic then i bought a brick of burpees but its not like that in any way and that was kind of a let down all on its own. Typically with soils and substrates as long as you take care of them you can typically use them non stop.

Yeah grow 1 i had natures valley? Or something like that from Amazon.. Then second grow i went with a premix and just hated it. Going for a 3rd and just wanting to pick some brains lol

Brother Nature

I've always used Canna and not had an issue with it, but I would definitely love to have other options, especially given the cost of Canna products is rather high. There are lots of generic 'bricks' sold at the hardware and gardening stores around here that I'd imagine would work just as well, haven't really had the time to test them though.

F_T_P!

Best is B'cuzz........dont even remeber worst, just spend the money on the B!

You wont regret it.

Goats

i use canna and don't have any complaints. it's the cheaper of the two options at my hydro store unless i want the blocks you need to re-hydrate, which i would prefer not to deal with.

i don't use enough for it to really make a big cost difference so i stick with what has worked.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Brand: Canna
Variant: Depends

Cogr is a dry slab in a black-white bag, maybe 1 meter long. Ready to drop in trays and expand to fill them. Slash the plastic and populate.
It's consistency is like the bigger bits people often sift out of other brands. It's chunky and fast draining. I'm able to take it out the bags and fill 2.5L pots, at about 10 per square meter. That's 25L of substrate per meter, coming in dry and compressed. I forget the weights at run-off and watering time, but getting that 6L of water to them, meant watering many times a day. So there was a good air exchange through displacement, using a feed from a well bubbled barrel. Taken to the roots regularly.
High frequency watering produces real results.

The Pro gets a lot of use. 40L per meter requires a daily watering. Though in peak times, you could offer a little top up. I have had to start washing it for rooting cuttings and starting seeds though.

Normal coco.. I'm about to try it. I'm treating the Pro anyway, and you only buy Pro because it's meant to be done. I'm just wasting money I think.

Other brands have been poorly treated or not had the water capacity that works with my systems. I don't really have time to learn another brand then build a system to make it work. It's expenditure that would never come back. I did for the Cogr because it is a very different consistency, and I knew it would pay off. Most coco is just coco though. It's really not somewhere I'm looking to find gains.

I plan on having a straight direct Coir Grow with my next set of autos honestly, Im getting plenty of more seeds in hopefully soon so theyll be some picking and choosing

Yall do straight coco? Or a perlite or clay pebble mix? I like 70/30 coco/perlite. Drained very well watered daily.. Debating on if i want to feed/water daily or not tho.. Every 2 or 3 days so much easier lol

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I've used Canna coco and Mother Earth coco. The Canna has a better texture and is more shredded so thats what I use. Mix 15-20% perlite to help with drainage and you're ready to go. Never have any pest issues with Canna either.

-Funk

M

MagusMan

i am trying out dna mills coco with added cork.its my first grow ever but i am going to try canna next grow

i am trying out dna mills coco with added cork.its my first grow ever but i am going to try canna next grow

If you read the post youd know i was trying to pick other peoples brains [ I have a favorite kind I use, but wonderrd what others liked]. Feel free to not comment on something, if your not going to help?

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
Pure coco it's better than coco perlite.
I have used coco canna, u grow, plagron, bionova.. But the best it's Atami... And also the slab work very well

Latest posts

Latest posts