What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hammerheads HK x TK, BOD 1/6/18

onavelzy

Veteran
D 28 update & photo dump

D 28 update & photo dump

Tincture of time (and some Epsom salts) works well. The plants aren't as chlorotic as last week. Still not the pristine green HH quality but, some room to grow has been achieved.

The plants were all topped about 4-5 days ago. I've been misting with V+B Push foliar. The reduction in the yellowing is probably to new root growth accessing nutrients rather than the foliar but whatever, it's a welcome change.

The #4 pheno remains the most vigorous. It is half again as tall as the others. Each pheno has almost doubled in height since last week. New growth is vigorous. There's some leaf tip burn in some of the other phenos, some leaf crinkling, stem discoloration etc., but definitely better than a week ago, imo at least.

I'm currently feeding at 1.3-1.4 with added Mammoth P (free sample so why not).

Pheno #1,top view, last week then today, D 28 from transplant to the 3L airpots:

picture.php

picture.php

pheno #2:

picture.php

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
photo dump continued, D 28 from transplant to 3 L pots

photo dump continued, D 28 from transplant to 3 L pots

Pheno #3, last week and then today:

picture.php

picture.php

Pheno #4:

picture.php

picture.php

Don't know if it's a random or a thing but the top leaf set on #4 has an even number of blades (well, the one leaf does have a teensie blade but looks pretty eight to me). We'll see if it's just a temporary sign of recent stress or a thing that doesn't make a bit of difference but is different nonetheless

Also, please ignore the "near death's door" clones in the tray of solo cups. This clone run looks to be my humble time. These are the roughly 20% that have shown minimal to no rooting so far and are rapidly digesting their leaves. I'm not trashing them until they are clearly dead but there will be no claims of 100% this go round.

onavelzy

Veteran
Side views day 28 from transplant to 3L pots

Side views day 28 from transplant to 3L pots

Pheno #1:

picture.php

Pheno #2:

picture.php

Pheno #3:

picture.php

Pheno #4:

picture.php

C

cooterbrown420

Ona what is your Ph? also i don't go over 1.2 e.c. in coco in flower maybe try lowering to 1.0 range. Plants definitely looking healthier

onavelzy

Veteran
Ona what is your Ph? also i don't go over 1.2 e.c. in coco in flower maybe try lowering to 1.0 range. Plants definitely looking healthier

Cooter, Thx for looking in and for the suggestions on EC.

I typically feed younger clones (solo cups) at a lighter range, like 1.0 and gradually increase as the root system enlarges with subsequent up potting. I had been stopping at 1.3 as my top end, because that's what ppl seem to say.

I've noticed, however, that i tended to get yellowing and signs of cal/mag deficiency in early veg. I've read that plants under LED tend to need higher ec's.

I decided with this set of seedlings that I would risk going to a higher EC because my "typical" definitely wasn't doing the trick. They were pretty yellow for a while there while they settled into they're first up potting.

So far, they have responded to my initial advance to an EC of 1.3-1.4, along with a pretty good slug of epsom salts per gallon and a foliar that has additional calcium.

As for pH, I try to vary the range from feeding to feeding. I try to keep it in the upper range, 6.0 - 6.3, during flower phase but in veg I try to cover the entire range of 5.6 - 6.3 from one feed to the next.

C

cooterbrown420

i would stay from 5.8 - 6.1 in coco that seems to be the sweet spot.

-BRR-

Fantastic plant shape. Pretty good testament to your skills too just looking at their structure and health. Good luck man will revisit for sure

onavelzy

Veteran
D1 under 630 DE CMH, 9L pots

D1 under 630 DE CMH, 9L pots

Your plants almost hurt me to look at HH.

I up potted from 3L pots to the 9 L air pots yesterday. I put them into the tent under the CMH 630 DE tonight. I'm hopeful the change in light from the lightbulb led's and the increased root zone will improve their appearance.

I have a two pheno's so far, one is about a third taller than the other.

One of the taller plants is persitent in its yellowishness. GThe other plants green'd up nicely after they were up potted to the 3 L post but they have started to look a little weak again. Definitely not HH caliber pics

HK x TK, Pheno's 1 thru 4, right to left
picture.php

HK x TK are 1 thru 3 in the front row and #4 is middle back.
Back left is a GG4 mom and back right is an OG mom

picture.php

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
still putting in that work broski, it'll pay off in the end for sure :respect: will be interesting to see the difference the 630 makes in your setup compared to the 315 prior. :tiphat:

onavelzy

Veteran
still putting in that work broski, it'll pay off in the end for sure :respect: will be interesting to see the difference the 630 makes in your setup compared to the 315 prior. :tiphat:

ABIDA!! thanks for following. As the saying goes, it's a process, or something like that. I think the change of light spectrum from the LED bulbs to the CMH and the larger root oace will get them looking less ugly at a minimum. I haven't done a good job last two grows with temp and humidity control.

According to the various grow shop folks I've asked, my options for a sealed fixture for the 630 DE are none or less. I was advised in two places to try using two 315's as they would cause less heat and better coverage ($200-250 per).

Because its still cool here, I can use ambient temps to keep the tent and plant canopy at the upper 70 range, Once the evenings start to get into the upper 70's and 80's, it will be a different story.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use any de enclosed hood with CMH. I've never seen a sealed fixture for CMH. Just get a 630 ballast and bulb.. You could also use a standard hps 1k ballast dimmed to 660w or use a 1kw DE CMH bulb but bulb life takes a hit.

I use 4 GC 630, 1China CMH ballast 630/wing refector and 1 gavita ballast with a 1kw DE CMH bulb in it.

You will get better coverage with 2 315's. U will get better penetration with a 630. I have my doubts u would see cooler temps with 2 315?.

It got hot today. 87f in flower room. Everything is taking it like champs. I don't use dedicated AC for my grow. I do use the central AC when it gets hot for to long. I will set it to come on from 12am to 7am this summer. Its mainly so I can sleep. When its 100f at night I cant sleep.

We could get plants in tip top shape for you but u would need to make some changes with your medium. U would need a EC/PH meter.

I use a 5x5 tent for mama's, overflow veg/flower or making pollen in. It use a 630w de 4k in it. I have had this tent in operation for 10 years now. Prob time to replace it. It still works fine :D.These plants are over flow flower. I will flip these to 12/12 any day. I already have 20 plants in my main flower room. no room for these.

picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
You can use any de enclosed hood with CMH. I've never seen a sealed fixture for CMH. Just get a 630 ballast and bulb.. You could also use a standard hps 1k ballast dimmed to 660w or use a 1kw DE CMH bulb but bulb life takes a hit.

I use 4 GC 630, 1China CMH ballast 630/wing refector and 1 gavita ballast with a 1kw DE CMH bulb in it.

You will get better coverage with 2 315's. U will get better penetration with a 630. I have my doubts u would see cooler temps with 2 315?.

It got hot today. 87f in flower room. Everything is taking it like champs. I don't use dedicated AC for my grow. I do use the central AC when it gets hot for to long. I will set it to come on from 12am to 7am this summer. Its mainly so I can sleep. When its 100f at night I cant sleep.

We could get plants in tip top shape for you but u would need to make some changes with your medium. U would need a EC/PH meter.

I use a 5x5 tent for mama's, overflow veg/flower or making pollen in. It use a 630w de 4k in it. I have had this tent in operation for 10 years now. Prob time to replace it. It still works fine :D.These plants are over flow flower. I will flip these to 12/12 any day. I already have 20 plants in my main flower room. no room for these.

View Image

Thanks for the input Hammer. I welcome any advice as I know I'm not tuned up.

I do use both a pH meter and EC probe. I use RO water and I have used V + B for both veg and flower. I add epsom salts, at least a 1/4 tsp per gallon. I've been running a little higher EC because a few LED folks said plants need a higher EC with LED and I was getting that pronounced yellowing early on and then it came back last week. I used to use an EC of 1.2 to 1.3. I'm currently using 1.4. My pH's have been 5.7 to 5.9 after you and some others advised lower pH for coco.

I added in Mammoth P because it was a free sample.

I debated switching to soil this go round but I was already rooted in 3L pots of coco. I thought that would be a tougher transition than going from a solo cup of coco to a 1g pot of soil.

I'll move to soil for my next crop. It's worth seeing how it works out in my setting compared to what I have tried in coco. I need to go back to the soil threads a read up. There's a lot more variance in what ppl do in soil compared to coco