What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about posting on social media

bobert

Hey fellow icmag-ers.

I usually keep to myself when it comes to showing off my goodies, it serves me quite well. I never have before but I thought about posting pictures of a single plant operation on a social media site like Twitter or Facebook. In a non-legal state so I'm quite cautious.

It's already done and gone. So I was thinking I could add some type of disclaimer. Like they do with music on YouTube stating I don't own the rights to this, no copyright infringement intended, for entertainment purposes only, etc.

What do you fellas think about this?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
There was a post on here recently where a member has his www connection totally nailed down, VPN Encrypted, etc, the lot,

The local Sherrif said to him one day, "Ah you are the guy whose internet connection disappears into a black hole" or similar..

Yours might say "nice buds" but he might not. I live in Spain where growing your own is pretty much tolerated, but I post nothing on Social media, the war is not yet over, do not fall at the last fence.

idiit

Veteran
truthfinder ( one example of a mining site for rent) mines all publically available info on you and gives you a report on that any other person for around $30/mth iirc. incredible how much publically available info on me I was able to find.

I do not post pics. on social media. facebook keeps asking me to post my pic. everything goes into a database on you.

social media is not your friend.

Derty

Don't tell on yourself!

Don't tell on yourself!

I agrre Idiit.

facebook is a self created dossier.[/

Yeah I have seen some growers post their grows on Facebook.
One guy I know in Oregon had a couple trimmed #lbs ripped from him in a B&E.

Another guy I know in Colorado post a map with his grow location. He's always showing off his plants on Facebook.

Just because its legal in a few states. These guys think they are untouchable.

Always people out there looking to steal from growers. I wouldn't make it easy for them to find you.

bobert

I appreciate your comments. I'm glad I got a few opinions before posting the pictures. I will not be posting them now, maby on here I will, but not social media.

The risk definitely outweighs the reward in this case.

Thanks again for the help guys :tiphat:

St. Phatty

Always people out there looking to steal from growers. I wouldn't make it easy for them to find you.

One of the primary Rules of Security -

* Don't make it easy for LEO.

* Don't make it easy for home invasion / grow rips etc.

One approach is to have a duplicate account on the social media in question and to experiment with posting. e.g. posting unique long passwords to see what search engines pick them up.

I think it's possible you can post pot pics on Facebook with permissions set at 'friends' and then MAYBE data miners won't have access.

but then you have to 'vet' the sometimes casual acquaintances that are designated friends on Facebook.

Gets complicated.

Makes me glad we have IC Mag :woohoo:

bobert

but then you have to 'vet' the sometimes casual acquaintances that are designated friends on Facebook.

Gets complicated.

Makes me glad we have IC Mag :woohoo:

I'm glad too :biggrin: I probably would've posted them if I didn't check with you fellas.

And now that I think of it there's a lot of 'friends' I wouldn't want knowing about what goes on here.

:tiphat:

Skip

Veteran
You'll note we don't even have social media links on ICMag, and we frown upon ppl linking anything to facebook, if you click on the link, then facebook has a record of what page you came from, your IP addy, etc.

Other forums that include social networking links automatically send FB/Google or others your IP# and browsing info, whether you know it or not. That's how a company like Facebook can claim 2 billion users. You don't even need to go to facebook, much less login there, for them to track you. Just visit any website with FB logins and you will be tracked by FB!

So any website claiming they've got your privacy covered, and they allow FB links, they're lying to ya!

IMO, FB is short for FBI... (I'm always amazed at the personal info, images, etc. ppl put out there)

hellfire

Reminds me of the day youtube told people to put their real name in...and millions did so.

Like Pavlovian dogs.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
never belonged anywhere. well, here, lol! never put up a picture of anything that might bite me, not even on here. if someone really tried, it would not be hard to find me, so i do not give them a reason to look. hiding in plain sight...:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I don't venture many places on the web but here because of the very dynamic skip explained

as someone in the US I am glad to have a place that is not complicit with US LE

Skip

Veteran
Remember too, our servers are in the Netherlands, so that affords some protection too, as it's more difficult for the US to dig into our database. Whereas American based social networks have not only put in backdoors for LEO, but have helped develop special interfaces into their data for LEO.

All big American IT companies have been compelled to cooperate with the gov't due to national security issues. And we've seen what has happened, companies have co-opted your data and privacy, and sold it to the Gov't and Ad industry.

If you knew how many billions have been paid to Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, etc. to get them to comply with the spy agencies, you'll understand why there are so many backdoors in our software that allow so many hackers to screw us over.

So much for the US gov't protecting us...

O

Orrie

Now that your ISP can sell your click data to the highest bidder, there is no privacy

I did some searches on prostate cancer and biochemical recurrence a few weeks back and the next day had a call from some medical facility asking for more info.

Sting said it best in song-

Every click you make... I'll be watching you

Skip

Veteran
Sting said it best in song-

Every click you make... I'll be watching you
Yeah, that whole song makes a lot more sense these days!
Sting or the NSA? said:
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you
Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I did some searches on prostate cancer and biochemical recurrence a few weeks back and the next day had a call from some medical facility asking for more info.
[/FONT]
So who did you give your phone # to?
That is really scary, if what I think happened did...
If ISPs can not only sell your browsing history, but also your personal data, like phone and home address, then indeed, there is no privacy.

Unfortunately, most ppl cannot choose their ISP, otherwise, any company that would guarantee your privacy, not sell any data to anyone, would suddenly become very popular... That is true competition based on features, instead of everyone kowtowing to the gov't and ad agencies.

We should be paid every time our data is sold at the very least (oh, but they give you FREE access to their websites & services in return, no?)

hellfire

More people need to use script blockers on their browsers if they're going to be venturing the wild west web.

Latest posts

Latest posts