What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

rykus

Awesome thread! Very cool methods and yet you make it all seem pretty easy and practicle. Thanks for the great contribution!

mack 10

Veteran
Worm bin for the win!
Great method, which I've never seen before.
Can't wait to see that Mexican.

Searching for some Acapulco Gold seeds to remake the skunk strain.

Mystic Funk

Awesome thread! Very cool methods and yet you make it all seem pretty easy and practicle. Thanks for the great contribution!

Worm bin for the win!
Great method, which I've never seen before.
Can't wait to see that Mexican.

Searching for some Acapulco Gold seeds to remake the skunk strain.

Thanks guys!
I can't wait ether. i'm not really looking for skunky plants, it would be cool to find some though. I'm just hope there's some long lost classic Mexican sativas varieties in here I can bring back to life.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder if this would work with just store bought worm castings in a temperature and humidity controlled set up? I have no bin and do not plan on making one.

Surprised the superthrive and all the tricks did not amount to anything. Wish I knew anyone with elite Mexican and south american seeds from way back. Never had anything better than the old elite seventies stuff.

Nup

Really interesting! Loved how you used that germination technique. Interesting stuff.
Imagine germinating 100 year old seeds to work with.

Best of luck, holding you find some gems.

Mystic Funk

I wonder if this would work with just store bought worm castings in a temperature and humidity controlled set up? I have no bin and do not plan on making one.

Surprised the superthrive and all the tricks did not amount to anything. Wish I knew anyone with elite Mexican and south american seeds from way back. Never had anything better than the old elite seventies stuff.

I'm just guessing but I think the store bought castings wouldn't work as good because I think it's that the worm bins are "alive" and like I said in the post before the worms are moving around and fluffing the soil adding oxygen and eating any decaying matter so that helps with mold and rot. there's a lot more going on in there that I can't explain too.
but I think it wouldn't hurt to add some good old store bought black gold to your mix anyway. :tiphat:

I was shocked too that the seed soak methods didn't show any large improvement for me. the first recipe was what I always used, there was a slight increase in germ rates for some but not what I was expecting...

Really interesting! Loved how you used that germination technique. Interesting stuff.
Imagine germinating 100 year old seeds to work with.

Best of luck, holding you find some gems.

Thanks Nup!
yes that would be cool to get some seeds that old. my friend that gave me the Mexican seeds has some that are much older than these but he can't find them in the mess of his storage container I keep bugging him about them, I even gave him a zip to light a fire under his ass but nothing yet...

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

corky1968

Veteran
I agree fresh worm castings are most likely "alive" with goodness.

Those worms are pooping fresh bacteria every day.

I want to get into hobby worm raising in 2017.

Mystic Funk

I agree fresh worm castings are most likely "alive" with goodness.

Those worms are pooping fresh bacteria every day.

I want to get into hobby worm raising in 2017.

you should corky.
it's free fertilizer, they'll turn your trash into gold!
it's also a good place to get rid of weed scraps like leafs and trim if that's a problem for people.

corky1968

Veteran
I want the worms to go fishing mainly. Worm castings would be the bonus.:tiphat:
I will be going with the Euro Nightcrawler seeing they grow bigger than the little common redworm
and are better suited for fishing than them also. I do have access to Canadian Nightcrawlers for
free. They are easy to catch after a Spring rain at night. But they don't like warm temperatures
and that is their main downfall. So indoor raising would be hard with them.

Kush_Kloud

Very nice! Mystic funk. I hope all goes well with your seeds! Did you label the seeds? What Mexican landrace seeds do you have? And what seeds sprouted?

KK

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I want the worms to go fishing mainly. Worm castings would be the bonus.:tiphat:
I will be going with the Euro Nightcrawler seeing they grow bigger than the little common redworm
and are better suited for fishing than them also. I do have access to Canadian Nightcrawlers for
free. They are easy to catch after a Spring rain at night. But they don't like warm temperatures
and that is their main downfall. So indoor raising would be hard with them.

Get a book... WORMS EAT MY GARBAGE.
Very informative & may explain why night crawlers wouldn't be the best idea. At least on their own...

I'll be keeping an eye on yer thread Mystic Funk.
I've got a few old mex seeds but I think they're from after all the Dutch imports started filing in.

Mystic Funk

update for vintage Mexican seedlings.

Most of them seem to be doing good. But some had weird looking leaf growth, they were very spindly and didn't grow well. So I trashed them to make room for other new ones coming in.
Some of them look to have sativa leaves and some look to have wider leaves. maybe wider ones could be Columbian or a indica influence??? I think it's too soon to tell. I've grown pure sativas before that had wider leaves when they were seedlings and then they thinned out later.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

corky1968

Veteran
I see that. Corky's pic. :huggg:

BTW: They look like they need to be transplanted soon.

I'm transplanting my Friesland Indicas next week as I don't want them to get rootbound to early.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Great project and excellent documentation Mystic Funk. A friend sent me some old mid/ late 70's seed. I might try that worm bin idea. :). thanks for your efforts. subbed

Mystic Funk

Great project and excellent documentation Mystic Funk. A friend sent me some old mid/ late 70's seed. I might try that worm bin idea. :). thanks for your efforts. subbed

Thank you 3rdEye!
i'm doing some more tests now with other germination methods.
i'll try and get something up this week.

also if you do pop some of those seeds, please post it up so we can see them.

peace!

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Thank you 3rdEye!
i'm doing some more tests now with other germination methods.
i'll try and get something up this week.

also if you do pop some of those seeds, please post it up so we can see them.

peace!

I will be happy to post some pictures soon. They are only a week old now. Very cute.. thank you for the invitation. :). You are welcome to stop by my grow log if you would like.

vermontman

thanks buddah.
yes the worm bins killed it, amazing how simple it is too!
I think i'm going to try this method with the very small seeds and the x-large seeds because I have very little of them. I hear those are the best type of seeds. from what I read the x-large seeds could be Colombian and the small ones could Oaxacan or Acapulco gold seeds.
but i'm going to hold off for a bit because I have a few more methods to try.

peace!
-mystic

Awesome job Mystic, your killing it!
Just a thought my Oaxacan from 79 ran pretty good sized seeds, Just my 2 cents. looking forward to your progress.:)