What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can someone help...

i have , i dont know what is called english, but,
[FONT=&quot]Lepisma saccharina, and those are all over my apartment, and so are neighbours having these bugs. So i have larvae in my coco, and there are no flyes, no fungus gnats, so can this bastard lay eggs, and so on ruin my girls, yield is 1/3 what should....
[/FONT]

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Silverfish

Which is the oldest pest known to Earth? Most people will say “the cockroach”. After all, it was here in the time of the dinosaurs. But there’s a household pest we are used to that is much older than roaches. It is also one of the first animals to colonise land and evolution has changed little from the Devonic period.

Lepisma saccharina; It’s the silverfish.

They do not carry any known disease from pre-historic times. Yet they have acquired a fine taste for old books, leather clothing, quality wallpapers and other everyday objects we don’t want to see consumed by an out-of-control insect population. We discuss the silverfish, its appearance, habits, diet and its classification as a vermin.

https://www.fantasticpestcontrol.co.uk/pest-profiles/silverfish/

https://bugguide.net/node/view/40366

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
From https://bugzpestcontrol.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/5-ways-to-get-rid-of-silverfish-naturally-and-organically/

Step One: Prevention

As always, the first step in getting rid of any type of insect pest is prevention. It is important to take steps to avoid getting silverfish in the first place. However, if you currently have a silver infestation, these preventative measures can help control them and to make sure that they do not come back. If you do not have silverfish taking these steps can ensure that you never have a problem with them.

The first preventative measure that should be taken is to make sure that you get rid of the types of food that silverfish thrive on. This includes old books that are rotting, cardboard debris, press board debris, loose paper, and rough or scratched linens. If you absolutely must keep these items you need to make sure that they are kept in containers that are sealed. This can be a plastic bag or other type of air tight container. This reduces the risk of silverfish getting to it and without a food source they are most likely to move on.

Next, silverfish love areas that are warm and moist. Make sure that you always clean up any spills and that there are no moist spots in the home. This includes areas such as the basement, laundry room, underneath the sink, and around pipes. Make sure any leaks in your plumbing are fixed.

Finally, make sure that you check all of the cracks, drains and vents around the house. These areas should all be sealed so that any existing silverfish in the home cannot escape and no new ones can enter the home. This will also help keep other types of pests from entering the home as well.

Step 2: Clean Home

The next best way to get rid of silverfish is to make sure that your home is clean. You will want to make sure that the garbage is taken out on a regular basis and that there are not any areas in the home that have standing water.

The area underneath your sink should be kept clean and dry. If you have a basement, make sure that all of the pipes are sealed and that there are no areas of warm water where the silverfish can thrive.

Faucets should be clean and sealed as well as the areas around your bathtub and sinks.

Step 3: Plants

There are several plants that have been known to help keep silverfish at bay. One of the best deterrents is Camphor. Camphor comes from the camphor tree and can be synthesised to use as an insecticide.

Rosemary is another great deterrent for silverfish. Simply make sachets of fresh or dried rosemary and put them in places where the silverfish is present. They will run the other way, preferably out of your home for good.

Costmary Sprigs are often referred to as bible leaves because they used to be used as a bookmark for bibles. The smell of the plant makes silverfish run away.

Cucumber peels can also be strategically placed around the home to drive away silverfish. The strong odour of cucumber deters silverfish.

Step 4: Boric Acid

There are several ways that boric acid works as a way to get rid of silverfish. Boric acid is extremely abrasive and silverfish have delicate exoskeletons. This means that if the silverfish gets boric acid on its skin it is most likely going to die. It is also harmful to the silverfish if they eat it.

To use boric acid you will simply sprinkle it around the baseboards of the home and in areas where you have seen silverfish present. If the nasty pest comes near it, they will be poisoned either through ingestion or from getting it on their skin. Boric acid offers one of the best ways to kill these pesky insects.

If you have pets it is best to try one of the plant methods to get rid of silverfish as boric acid can be harmful to your pet if they eat it.

Instead using boric acid on my plants, I would try dusting Diatomaceous Earth both on the infected plants soil and on the surfaces where the little shits scamper about.

Companion plants...hmmm, I am going to try that one. I have several huge Rosemary plants in my side yard.

THX fo all answers... i have to contact to the buiding owner, house is clean,and cant let now anybody in,or to poison those, or investigate if it necessary.
Its sad because i was just preparing my other run...but i want to get rid of those....

legalizeRO

Search Spinosad or Laser 240. It can be used to drench the soil and kill larvae too.
It's a bio-insecticide, and can be also applied in flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts