What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"California has too much pot"....Had To Happen

RetroGrow

Veteran
So it seems too many folks are growing their own.... California has a huge surplus, where growers are making anywhere from 8 times to 12 times more than the state consumes. Oh, my....
"A leader of California’s marijuana industry warned Wednesday that the state’s cannabis growers produce eight times the pot that is consumed in the state so some will face “painful” pressure to reduce crops under new state regulations that will ban exports after Jan. 1.
Some marijuana growers will stay in the black market and continue to illegally send cannabis to other states, which is also not allowed under federal law, said Hezekiah Allen, executive director of the California Growers’ Assn.

“We are producing too much,” Allen said, adding state-licensed growers “are going to have to scale back. We are on a painful downsizing curve.”

He said some marijuana growers may stop, while others just won't apply for state permits.

Allen made his comments to the Sacramento Press Club during a panel discussion that also included Joseph Devlin, chief of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement for City of Sacramento, and Lori Ajax, chief of the state’s Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation.

Devlin said estimates he has heard put California production at five times the state consumption; one consultant in the audience said the number may be 12 times what is consumed in the state.

Ajax agreed with Allen that some cannabis cultivators may have to scale back while others may never apply for a state license.

“For right now, our goal is to get folks into the regulated market, as many as possible,” Ajax said. But, she added, “There are some people who will never come into the regulated market.”

Those people, she said, will eventually face enforcement actions for growing marijuana without a state license.

Medical marijuana use was approved by California voters two decades ago. Voters in November approved the legal sale and possession of an ounce of marijuana for recreational use.
Video here:
http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...oducing-pot-surplus-1501101923-htmlstory.html

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I wonder if the excess could be disposed of more quickly if the dispensaries were to lower their prices?:blowbubbles:

calaveras

Dispensaries keep lowering price for farmers but never lower prices to consumers. It would be nice if a direct connection could be made between farmers and patients, bypassing middlemen would drop retail prices dramatically while giving farmers a living wage, and weeding out some pesticide laden crop. Calaveras county alone probably could supply all of California.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
The dispensaries are selling outdoor bud for 1/2 the price of indoor of exactly the same strain

Most farmers are more concerned with security these days and a direct link is only possible if there's 100% trust both ways

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
It's not like those who've been at it all their lives don't know what to do with it. It's the newer growers that might have to scramble to figure it out.

Some of these cats might be "going for it" before '18 rolls around. Not that they plan to make too many changes after, but why not go big while it's still all good.

There's still a lot of Americans behind enemy lines who wouldn't mind if it found its way into their bowls.

The newer peeps who've only dealt with dispensaries..... It might be time to start hanging out in dark alleys or something. I really don't know how an "outsider" might go about getting connected today.

It's a different world than the one a lot of us came up in. "Smuggling" was still a big part of the culture when I was getting schooled. If you couldn't get it to where it needed to be it wasn't even worth dreaming about going big.

S

Scott64a

It's not like those who've been at it all their lives don't know what to do with it. It's the newer growers that might have to scramble to figure it out.

Some of these cats might be "going for it" before '18 rolls around. Not that they plan to make too many changes after, but why not go big while it's still all good.

There's still a lot of Americans behind enemy lines who wouldn't mind if it found its way into their bowls.

The newer peeps who've only dealt with dispensaries..... It might be time to start hanging out in dark alleys or something. I really don't know how an "outsider" might go about getting connected today.

It's a different world than the one a lot of us came up in. "Smuggling" was still a big part of the culture when I was getting schooled. If you couldn't get it to where it needed to be it wasn't even worth dreaming about going big.

It seems a delicious twist of fate that the states who voted to legalize will soon see that it's a plant that mostly anyone can grow well, and never need to go and pay taxes in someone's store for commercial varieties.

We dangled a big tax carrot in front of them and the greedy legislators all said, "Oh, HELL yeah!".

Now... who knows?
hahaha

As for interstate trade, it's far easier than say, going over a country's border with some.

The market is saturated, and will be flooded for many years to come.

I mean, who WOULDN'T try for the biggest yields possible as a legal grower?
It is this very drive that will undo most.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
some have had that drive since when it was basically a death scentence and haven't been undone yet.

Some have only had it as long as they've had a rec from a doc. On these I'll agree that it will indeed be their undoing.

The older guys will owe their demise to their own laziness, carelessness or plain old bad luck, an equal risk for new and old alike but not as common as the new would like to believe. Especially when it comes to transporting it.

Never mind getting jacked like a mofkr and left stranded with no shoes in Kentucky!lol

But the Cali market does seem to be flooded. Colorodo and other "legal" states are as well I imagine. If not it's a matter of time. The whole thing might indeed come to and end, that's either way you look at it. We're in a strange time right now. Up is down and down is up!

Time will tell.

I'm not talking about small scale growers of course. I'm talking about the people that are really flooding the market.

I figure people that grow there own plus a little more aren't counted as they arent wholesalers and aren't part of the demand. Am I wrong about thinking this about the article? I'm pretty sure I read it!haha

therevverend

Veteran
The math of this study seems wrong. They say California grows 5 times as much cannabis as they smoke. There are almost 40 million people in California. The US has a population of 323 million. California has close to 12% of the population of the US.
I'm sure Californians smoke A LOT more then people in, say, Missouri. Or any other red state. I'd say that while Californians make up 12% of the population they smoke at least 30% of the cannabis. I imagine 5 times as much pot as Californians smoke would easily supply the entire nation and then some. Plus there's lots of other states where cannabis is grown. Oregon has a huge export market. And I'm sure most of the ganja smoked in Oregon and Washington is grown there which rules out two of the biggest stoner states.
There's also the extraction market, my guess is that is where most of the surplus goes. A guy grows a pound and someone smokes it up in a weekend DAB binge.
I'd be curious how they determine how much Californians smoke and grow.

therevverend

Veteran
In Washington state what got the authorities in a tizzy was the amount of untaxed smoke on the medical market. The recreational shops were forecast to only supply 10% of the cannabis smoked in Washington.
So they went on a crusade to get rid of the med shops and make sure everyone was buying government pot. I'm sure the same thing will happen in California so the government has their money and an excuse to drive out all the small growers. That's why 'news' like this is coming out now.

S

Scott64a

The whole thing might indeed come to and end, that's either way you look at it. We're in a strange time right now. Up is down and down is up!

No doubt, man.

What a world, what a world.

I don't know what to make of it, either.

:)

Cheesegez

That explains why certain growers who stand under that prop 215 babylon, are sending ounces to the UK for top dollar $$

Drewsif

Legal pot brings more heroin from Mexico. Lol just wait til some politician pulls that angle "They used to smuggle weed from Mexico, now that pot is legal, they smuggle heroin"