What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dumb question. White tops on buds.

w3rds

So far it's happened on my main cola, and now I see it forming on my next biggest bud. At the very top of the cola is a white, cotton looking fuzz is forming. Pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_20170501_070255673.jpg
    IMG_20170501_070255673.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170501_070253055.jpg
    IMG_20170501_070253055.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20170501_070302269.jpg
    IMG_20170501_070302269.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20170501_070303952.jpg
    IMG_20170501_070303952.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 9

Cvh

Supermod
I can't see it on the pictures. Could you take a closeup of that white fuzz?

Does it look anything like the first picture below? If yes, then it is mold.
Of is it more web like? Then it might be spider mites. See second picture.
If it are white spots on the leaves then it might be powdery mildew. See last picture.

Mold:
fluffy-white-bud-rot.jpg

Spider mite:
spider-mite-cannabis-webbing.jpg

Powdery Mildew:
MD-01.jpg

OldPhart

picture is a bit fuzzy, but I am thinking you just have a bit of fox tailing going on. Are the tops that are doing this close to the light?

Last edited:

DJXX

Veteran
i don't really see anything out of the ordinary...a light frost of trichromes on the leaves and white pistels sticking up...may a clear close up pic i could see what you are referring to...plant looks pretty healthy to me...Good Luck..DJXX

w3rds

Here are some more up close photos. I'm referring to the cotton ball like cluster at the tip of the bud.

Just saw the LED bleach comment. That may be it since it's only affecting my largest buds.

Attachments

• SAM_0130.jpg
    SAM_0130.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_0131.jpg
    SAM_0131.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 14
  • SAM_0132.jpg
    SAM_0132.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_0133.jpg
    SAM_0133.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
So far it's happened on my main cola, and now I see it forming on my next biggest bud. At the very top of the cola is a white, cotton looking fuzz is forming. Pictures below.
shooting in the dark... what strain, how far into bloom, what light???

EDIT: temps & RH%
EDIT2: I cant take close ups either:)

Cvh

Supermod
And as suggested by others here is a picture of (Led) light bleaching.

You can identity this by looking through a magnifier. If it looks like the rest of your bud (calyx, pistil, leaf) but just white then it's just bleached by your (Led) light.

Light bleaching:
Light-lessens-the-pigment-of-marijuana-buds.jpg

Last edited:

jedi5891

My mate who uses LEDs also has had this affliction to some of the bigger tops close to the Diodes. The only other explanation to white buds is a Zinc deficiency, I think but would have to look it up so don't quote me.

Embrace every problem and growing dilema as they only make you a better grower.

Good luck
Peace

w3rds

Harvested about a month ago. The smoke was the same across all my buds. Could possibly be a little less potent, but negligible.

Rastak'

Burn Light !! Not only with Led !! It happens under Sodium too.

It happens when the light is too close from the bud. I call it "burn light" even if the bud is not litterally burned.

The bud becames dry and white because it didn't make a correct photosynthesis.

So, the solution is simple ;)

Bless...

w3rds

Come one, come all. Does anyone else want to point out that it's LED bleaching? Only a dozen more before I start thinking that it was light bleaching.