What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gorilla Glue, Inc. ‘Reverse Class-Action Suit’ Against All GG#4 Cultivators

Chemdawggy Dawg

I think you may be the victim of a scam joesy. Don't give them your identity or phone #. Give them nothing. I've never heard of being served by email either. I smell bullshit way over here.

budsicles

Might be fake....but better to assume it isn't, rather than ignoring it.

The following blog post talks about being legally served through email, not sure how credible it is...although the example case did deal with trademark/patent infringement.

http://www.rpost.com/blog/can-serve-court-papers-email/

If it is legit, just do what CosmicGiggle said and lets all start calling it 'guerilla' glue.

Boycott the Gorilla Glue Company.
Buy Elmers instead.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
wow. Seems like nonsense. Unless the spelling is the same. If the ggstrains trademark is for gg4 and not gorilla glue then whats the gripe?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This...
USPTO said:
Likelihood of Confusion with Other Marks
The USPTO examines every application for compliance with federal law and rules. The most common reason to refuse registration is a “likelihood of confusion” between the mark of the applicant and a mark already registered or in a prior-filed pending application owned by another party. The USPTO determines that a likelihood of confusion exists when both (1) the marks are similar, and (2) the goods and/or services of the parties are related such that consumers would mistakenly believe they come from the same source. Similar marks or related goods/services by themselves are not enough to support a finding of a likelihood of confusion, unless a court has held that the mark is actually a famous mark. That is, generally two identical marks can co-exist, so long as the goods and services are not related.

According to my understanding of what the above says...
Gorilla Glue corp can bite it & live with it.
There is clearly no trademark confusion.
Until you read this:
USPTO said:
Similarity of Marks
BASIC FACTS ABOUT TRADEMARKS
To determine whether a likelihood of confusion exists, the marks are first examined for their similarities and differences. Note that in order to find a likelihood of confusion, the marks do not have to be identical. When marks sound alike when spoken, are visually similar, have the same meaning (even if in translation), and/or create the same general commercial impression in the consuming public’s mind, the marks may be considered confusingly similar. Similarity in sound, appearance, and/or meaning may be sufficient to support a finding of likelihood of confusion, depending on the relatedness of the goods and/or services.

Dog Star

Veteran
Moral of a story is that you never give name to strain same as some company haves name...,that is what we all learn.

Remember there was a strain named Locktite but she never become popular like
GG#4 so i bet no body sued a breeder of that strain.

But now we know... so look good in future to not call strain Coca-Cola or Ferrari
as this can bring legal problems if strain will be great weed like GG#4 is.

Still wish all the best to Joesy in legal fight,hope you made some deal that will favor
both sides and you have some compromis solution as you share same name.

Robney

I don't think the goods are related enough to really pull this off. Gorilla glue (the actual glue) would have to show that people would actually pursue gorilla glue #4 as a way to adhere things together. Generally when a comply claims trademark infringement, they have to be able to show that consumers would actually mistake gorilla glue 4 (herb) for gorilla glue (glue). That seems like a tough one to prove. Look at your quote MJ Passion, the likelihood of confusion is dependent on the relatedness of the products - and I don't know how anyone could argue that weed and glue are related. Though, Joesy should lawyer up, he could get fucked for simply not responding to court orders and such, and a lawyer is really the only way to navigate that storm.

Last edited:

Robney

Joesy - let the lawyers do the talking, that's always best! Glad you lawyered up, this is all going to be nothing, but it will probably cost something to prove it was nothing (sorry that's just how our courts work), but you'll be fine! Also, I've never heard of being served by email, but in certain circumstances if you are difficult to find they accept other forms (like an ad in the newspaper!). So talk to your lawyer Josey!

And also thanks for sharing her with the world, I actually had some in spain recently and it tasted pretty spot on, she's getting international hype!

Ready4

Veteran
For the Gorilla Glue glue company to take legal action, it is good publicity for their company or any company, to get their name in the news. Effective, relatively cheap advertising.
Sending cease and desist letters out is very common, initial similar legal work is inexpensive.
JW, they probably just want the publicity and to try scare you or anybody else advertising
GG for sale. No way do they have the funds to go after every person growing, selling it, etc.
And any protracted legal battle would cost them $$$$$.
You are not actively marketing and selling GG seeds as a product, what can they get you to cease & desist from ?
The Girl Scouts were also very upset about GSC, I do not think much came out of that.

Skip

Veteran
LOL! Good one. Had me going for a moment. Last couple of sentences shows its a joke. :)

I got on Gorilla Seeds case cause they had appropriated the copyrighted GG logo and tried to use it here on icmag. Told them that could cause legal probs and advised them to change the logo (they weren't even selling gg#4 at the time). Using the logo is potentially a worse offense and could result in a lawsuit.

However, the Gorilla Glue company had a recent TV ad campaign, and they appear first in the search engines, so I'm pretty sure they're not worried as the popularity of the cannabis strain only fixes the name even more in ppls minds. The Girl Scouts didn't seem to mind GSC and some even took advantage of the cannabis' popularity!

Just so long as the Gorilla Glue orders don't get mixed up, I doubt there'll be a problem... ;)
"I planted several rolls of tape and watered and fertilized but nothing came up!"

Josey, they're just scamming you. You'd need to be served physically. And unfortunately for GG, they'll never find all the growers.

Worse if they ever did sue, you'd have to change the name of the strain.
I doubt they could prevail with damages awarded because they'd have to prove they suffered financial loss, or you profited at their expense.
The reason for the success of GG#4 isn't due to its name, is it?
And if the sales of Gorilla Glue tape are increasing, is it due to the success of GG#4?

Last edited:
H

HemperorsKnight

that site is basically The Onion but for weed news. 99.9% of the other articles are fake.

Satire website knew there was something weird bout that lol not like the girl scouts of America tryna attack whoever for gsc cuts n seeds lol

Grizz

Veteran
LOL! Good one. Had me going for a moment. Last couple of sentences shows its a joke. :)

I got on Gorilla Seeds case cause they had appropriated the copyrighted GG logo and tried to use it here on icmag. Told them that could cause legal probs and advised them to change the logo (they weren't even selling gg#4 at the time). Using the logo is potentially a worse offense and could result in a lawsuit.

However, the Gorilla Glue company had a recent TV ad campaign, and they appear first in the search engines, so I'm pretty sure they're not worried as the popularity of the cannabis strain only fixes the name even more in ppls minds. The Girl Scouts didn't seem to mind GSC and some even took advantage of the cannabis' popularity!

Just so long as the Gorilla Glue orders don't get mixed up, I doubt there'll be a problem... ;)
"I planted several rolls of tape and watered and fertilized but nothing came up!"

Josey, they're just scamming you. You'd need to be served physically. And unfortunately for GG, they'll never find all the growers.

Worse if they ever did sue, you'd have to change the name of the strain.
I doubt they could prevail with damages awarded because they'd have to prove they suffered financial loss, or you profited at their expense.
The reason for the success of G

jw

Lyfespan

i kinda figured this was going to happen, with JW trying to get trademarked or whatever.

wanted to remind you before you did any kind of big marketing that companies are now out to get MMJ companies using their likenesses.

this will be highly supported on the plaintiff's side and MMJ owners will be fined or shut down

let you all be reminded of Starbux coffee and Hitman glass and the dabiccino rigs, if you didnt know about this lawsuit, well now you do

meizzwang

Lawyers/attorneys are all about billing their clients as many hours as possible, this is how they make money. Anything threat or demand they make is intended to increase their billable hours.

H

HemperorsKnight

yeah I agree, but I found out you can be served by email, I have a lot to say but the lawyer advised me not say anything, but I can say its all real, there lawyer called me again this morning, I will fill you all in as this progresses

Jesus fuckin christ thats bs that they would act so adolescent towards a strain of Cannabis it's not like your actually trying to imitate the product dudes need to stop being money hungry and let it go but we all know how corporate ****s are they will die for the dolla dolla bill I get they're upset and all but over a name that's just stupid it's not like it's a new company calling themselves gorilla glue inc or anything its a plant with a name they can eat a dick

Latest posts

Latest posts