What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Burlap sacks : Outdoors?: roots grow through into ground?

G.Goo

Well outdoor season is almost over here . But wanna study all winter on growing outdoors.

Just wondering if:

Would burlap allow the roots to grow through and into the ground. This is what im after due to its guerilla grow spot.

Also wondering if this would help hold moisture to keep plants maybe a extra day or so incase I cant get to them

Would the burlap allow the air pruning of roots. Say like a Geopot or something similar

Thinking of doing a mini greenhouse out in the middle of no where maybe PVC 6 x 6 x 8 Ft (H)

Burlap 48" H x 24" W.

Yes burlap will work just fine the only things you will want to look into are; what was originally in the burlap to make sure nothing potentially harmful and to make sure no bugs cause sometimes the coffee sacks can carry unwanted pests from where they were grown/shipped which could cause havoc down the road.

I would add a tsp of water crystals if you need the extra time as the fabric let's air pass through easily so it has more frequent wet/dry cycles just like smart pots .....plus side of burlap though it's light brown color ...easy camp and doesn't attract heat like the black smart pots.

Yes as air pruning occurs when the roots poke out and hit air ....any container that utilizes similar fabric will air prune roots.

I hate to be blunt about it but honestly you will not make it to harvest if you put a GH out in the woods ..... more to carry out and that stuff is odd if someone sees you.... when its up someone that happens in the area will see it from a good distance away ..... and air craft (Leo or private) will see it very easily ..... you might as well put a sign out and just say come take my plants. Greenhouses are meant for backyard grows not guerilla grows. If you want a chance just plant directly in the ground or find good spots to place your burlap sacks.....plus if you've never run a GH you will probably cook the shit out of your plants. Also tough material will with stand animal invasions but impossible to move discreetly and easy to move material(poly) will be torn up from wind/ branches coons skunks mice and even deer.

Just focus on the basics and walk before you attempt to run.

Best of luck on your endeavors

2 Legal Co

Veteran
The last time I bought a tree that was B&B, the Nurseryman told me to slice the burlap in several places so the roots would have better access to the outside soils.

All I know, and I'm afraid it's not much!

Burlap sacks

Burlap sacks

So hypothetically speaking, if i had a neighbor who worked in bulk coffee burlap sacks, could i use the burlap for the main rootball and have a smart pot as the main container everything sits in? Im doing this indoors into a flood tray to avoid overflow spills.
Any insight please and thankyou. I dont wanna plant in plastics like my lazy ass has been. Im just really poor and cant afford 25 10 gallon smart pots as much as i can burlap sacks from central american coffee farms lol!

P-NUT

Veteran
Burlap wont last long trust me on that. Ive tried the burlap geopots and they will rot out before the end of your first cycle indoors and the coffee type I tried lasted even less. If your using the coffee type in a guerrilla situation then they are best to load up with dry dirt within a week or 2 before you lug them out there. You can buy a sewing machine type sealer if you want to get real professional. You can make mounds of them however big you want then cut a hole or holes for your cuts or seeds. Swamps are nice for this but build it up with swamp dirt to the floodline then burlap bags of dirt on top. Remember to wet it down real good when you put it out there. And like someone said before NEVER put a greenhouse in a guerrilla spot or your loosing it at best.

Limeygreen

Veteran
You can buy ground cover fabric (not the cheapest one) and if you can use a sowing machine you can make pots what ever size you want out of the material. For outdoors you may consider lining the bottom and a couple inches up the sides to avoid roots growing into the ground, this way you can restrict the roots and allow them to fill the pots and help root bind them to force flowering a bit earlier. just prune the plants to be wide so the wind doesn't blow them over, short wide pots have more stability than tall ones.

blastfrompast

Veteran
buddy used to do this....put 50 sackswith pre-filled soil in a swampy area....organic slow release back then....self watered .....set and forget...

his would grow roots thru the bags in the bottom within a month as the bottoms would rot.....but the bags would hold their shape and contain the upper rootball..

we had a local placethat would fill the bags even for you ...drive pickup under the feeder and fill the bags in the box...

Latest posts

Latest posts