What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

why some pages in threads dont work?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Means 3 pages worth of comments were deleted, so this is the new "last" page. It's an artifact of moderation. Pretty sure it's working by design.

Drewsif

Hidden and deleted posts. Mods can turn them back on at any point..That'll sure be a shit show some day. This is not a community, its a observation tank.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Hello doams
I asked that in: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=363591
will se if could help...

Nope, it's bad design.

Yep. Not much admin or mods can do about it.

To my knowledge it's the hard deleted posts that cause the bugs with the page count, 'cause the forum software has trouble keeping up. Hard delete means that data is permanently removed from the database and soft delete means the data stays but is hidden.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Logical deletes are not available in forum software. Once it's gone it's gone.

I suspect it's the page size that messes up the page count. There's probably a fix for it if you can find old patches somewhere. Thinking buffer size.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I'm curious how you would handle it if you were writing forum software then? Cause that's pretty much the way every forum handles "deleting" posts.
It is bad design I'm afraid. Having been on numerous "various" forums over the years. This is the only that I am aware of that has this issue!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
It is bad design I'm afraid. Having been on numerous "various" forums over the years. This is the only that I am aware of that has this issue!
Really? I'd be interested to see what forum software they are running then. I bet icmag are just soft deleting not hard deleting the messages. Hides them from view but not from the database.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Buzzź both wrong.

Deletes are hard. Gone with the wind. (Take this with a grain of salt)

I've written full featured forums from scratch and many mods for vBulletin and phpBB (*gag). Ttrust me, vBulletin is very well designed.

Keep in mind that it was written when the internet was young and not so many active forum participants. They modeled it off of BBS usage.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Unless vbvulletin has changed a bunch in the last 15 years you can definitely choose between a hard and soft delete. And yes I remember BBS, Renegade was the software of choice for my crew, but WildCat had it's proponents. Now I feel old. Thanks for that.

White Beard

The software is vBulletin. The problem is the database design.

Old DB designs were non-purging: contents weren’t removed from their slots, they were marked unavailable...but the array wasnt taught *how* to manage the deleted stuff, so it keeps getting in the way. Databases now will let you purge and re-index, keeping access quick and recycling the deleted spaces.

From my time on the web ive never noticed this being a real problem for vB in other forae, but it certainly happens here

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I don't really care how it operates in the background but yes, APH they were v bulletin forums. Those that I remember. No you making me feel old LOL :)

doams

wow if its a result of some posts deleted /maybe to protect someone who requested it for their safety/ it might be a good thing and I will stop being bothered by it and will stop reporting those pages too.. was reporting it everytime I saw that like an uneducated overacting mofo :D