What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CannaRed's first grow diary

Cool. I tried to go to your website to check on specs, but it doesn't like my phone browser. So excited to check it out.

84pcs 3W LEDs at 600mA for 140W of power consumption. 4 cooling fans at 1.6W each, X3 lens technology, 6-band spectrum using 440, 470, 525, 640, 660 and 740nm. Covers up to a 2' x 2' area.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
CannaRed and Mrs. CannaRed have had a helluva bad weekend.
Lastweek I hurt my back, doing absolutely nothing. We planned a weekend fossil hunting trip, months ago. Was hoping back would be better by then. It wasn't. Found a few shark teeth and such and found an awesome spot to search at, for Sunday.
But we both woke up Ill.
A cyst had developed on my sac!
Wife got a kidney infection/ stones.

Had to both go to doc. I have the cyst, a minor hernia, and fucked back. And the three are not related.
Usually working with my plants beings me peace and serenity.
But my back hurts too much to be bent up in the Chambers.

The seedlings are doing great though.
picture.php

I managed to top a couple of Bangi Haze and Purple Satellites. Cut them off and stuck them in my cloner.

The Nl5 x Haze I didn't top yet. Trying to let them grow out a little bit so I can root the cutoff tops. Waste not,want not.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
84pcs 3W LEDs at 600mA for 140W of power consumption. 4 cooling fans at 1.6W each, X3 lens technology, 6-band spectrum using 440, 470, 525, 640, 660 and 740nm. Covers up to a 2' x 2' area.

Oh ok. I thought I entered for the 2 x 3. Maybe I could just block off a foot of one of my chambers so it's a 2 x 2 square. So excited to try it out. I have never grown a plant from start to finish with the same light. Well, sun excluded.
Since you wanted a side by side with the California Lightworks, I guess I'll put your light in the bottom chamber and run the CL up top like normal.
Since I'll be blooming these under these lights and, and not moving them to another chamber at flip, I will need another area to keep babies for the next run.
I guess I'm going to use my old phototrons for keeping some small cuts.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Here's top chamber.

I stuck one or two of each of my new strains under the California Lightworks LED. Wanted to see how they would respond to going from the u shaped fluro of the Phototron to the bright ass LED.

After couple of hours, all is still normal.
picture.php

picture.php

I need to get in here and thin out some leaves and branches, especially on the PurpAl. But my back can't take it.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Here's bottom chamber. The eight in the front still need to be sexed.
Something happened the leaves on two plants. Probably were burned from a Foliar spray.

I'm definitely loving the optic Foliar line.
picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have alot strains/phenos right now that I haven't grown before.
Usually I cycle thru the same old strains from clones. I sometimes try one to three new plants at a time but, this time is different. 28 seedlings from 5 different strains.
If all the phenotypes are different and keepers I'm gonna run short on space!
The Bangi Haze is an F8 so probably won't be as many different phenos as the others

Last edited:
Oh ok. I thought I entered for the 2 x 3. Maybe I could just block off a foot of one of my chambers so it's a 2 x 2 square. So excited to try it out. I have never grown a plant from start to finish with the same light. Well, sun excluded.
Since you wanted a side by side with the California Lightworks, I guess I'll put your light in the bottom chamber and run the CL up top like normal.
Since I'll be blooming these under these lights and, and not moving them to another chamber at flip, I will need another area to keep babies for the next run.
I guess I'm going to use my old phototrons for keeping some small cuts.

Sorry to hear about your back and other issues. My back goes out on me once every few years, and when it does I'm crippled for weeks to months at a time. It's a horrible pain.

You're in for a real treat growing with our light from start to finish. You will see faster growth in less time compared to your CLW fixture. Our plants will typically have smaller fan leaves, as the spectrum is more efficient allowing the plant to put more energy into growth opposed to leaf size. The plants should remain more compact with a denser formation of nodes. The plants will also drink more as a result of increased rates of photosynthesis.

I'm very excited to see another Side-by-Side. I don't think we've ever gone up against CLW in a grow test, but I am very familiar with their products from using my PAR meter at trade shows.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Cannared this link is to a post in Tangwena's thread, its cannabinoid anaylsis of flower before and after cob cure. Tychomonolyth shared this with me last May and got me really interested in it, THC was 6% higher after cob curing.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8202570&postcount=2300

Thanks.
I'm not sure what to think about that. Tang posted another test one time, as far as I remember, there was no difference on that on.
At the time they were talking about testing the differences in terpenes. Not sure if it was really tested.

It's hard to get unskewed results because there can be differences from one bud to the next.
Maybe they could test a bud and then cob that same bud. Instead of bud and cob from same plant.
I would think that you shouldn't test the outside "crust" of the cob. I'm sure some cannabinoids and terpenes were lost to the wrap.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
You're in for a real treat growing with our light from start to finish. You will see faster growth in less time compared to your CLW fixture. Our plants will typically have smaller fan leaves, as the spectrum is more efficient allowing the plant to put more energy into growth opposed to leaf size.

It's very strange that you mentioned this.
I was getting ready to make a post with a question relating to this.
What causes bigger leaves?

My plants under the CLW are looking great. Very healthy.
I noticed though that some of the fan leaves are way bigger than normal. Like really fatter than usual, sorta cartoon-ish.

I figured it was due to the plants being so healthy under my new (second hand) LED.

But you are saying sort of the opposite. So the bigger than normal fans are being caused by the California Lightworks being inefficient?
I would love to hear more, or see some links if you have time. I gotta take this opportunity to talk to an actual LED person.

DrDee

Hey Red,
Get well soon...

I have a few plants, Kali Mist feminized that I'm growing. Leaves are large but not huge, but the damn petioles are over 2" long. Bet they are an inch longer then my normal plant under same conditions. PIA. I always assumed those variations were genetic.
JD

It's very strange that you mentioned this.
I was getting ready to make a post with a question relating to this.
What causes bigger leaves?

My plants under the CLW are looking great. Very healthy.
I noticed though that some of the fan leaves are way bigger than normal. Like really fatter than usual, sorta cartoon-ish.

I figured it was due to the plants being so healthy under my new (second hand) LED.

But you are saying sort of the opposite. So the bigger than normal fans are being caused by the California Lightworks being inefficient?
I would love to hear more, or see some links if you have time. I gotta take this opportunity to talk to an actual LED person.

There are several things which contribute to leaf size/shape.

Leaves are biological solar panels that can only process so much energy. This is why DLI, Light saturation and light compensation exist. DLI says the plant can only absorb so many moles per day. Light saturation says a plant can only absorb so much light per second. Light compensation is the point at which a plant is no longer growing, only maintaining itself.

So a leaf can only absorb X amount of photons before it maxes out on LSP. If the spectrum being given is only 30% efficient at absorption, the leaf needs to grow bigger so it has more chloroplasts available to harvest light. If the spectrum has 60% efficiency, the leaf won't grow as large because it's already absorbing as much light as it's capable of at its smaller size.

Using the example above, a leaf with 60% efficiency can absorb the same amount of light as a leaf double the size that has 30% spectral efficiency. The more efficient the spectrum is at being converted by the plant, the smaller your fan leaves and the more energy the plant puts into growing (rather than producing larger solar panels).

Intensity can also lead to larger fan leaves. Let's say a leaf maxes out at 500 umol, but is only getting 200. It now needs to grow larger to collect extra energy because intensity is insufficient.

Spectrum also plays a role in leaf development. The higher the percentage of red, the smaller the leaf. The more blue you have, the thicker the leaf.

Here is a great research study that touches on some of what I've explained and a lot more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447751/

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I'm very excited to see another Side-by-Side. I don't think we've ever gone up against CLW in a grow test, but I am very familiar with their products from using my PAR meter at trade shows

So I was thinking about this side by side with the CLR. It wouldn't actually be a proper side by side if I ran them all the way thru bloom.
My CLR LED is non adjustable spectrum that is only for veg.

I could still do a side by side in veg. Then just a grow report under your light. That's all you wanted anyway before you saw my CLR light.

Originally I was going to do side by side with my 600 hps in my 2x3s but if I won the 2x2, I'll mark out an area 2' x 2' on floor and keep plants maintained to that area.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Hey Red,
Get well soon...

I have a few plants, Kali Mist feminized that I'm growing. Leaves are large but not huge, but the damn petioles are over 2" long. Bet they are an inch longer then my normal plant under same conditions. PIA. I always assumed those variations were genetic.
JD

Thanks Dee.

On my PurpAl, it's a very tight compact plant that is always creating new growth from nodes, instead of growing taller. Because the plant is so compact, she puts out some fans with extra long petioles, so it can get to light.
It always has wide bladed indica leaves. This time under the LEDs, she has extremely wider fans

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
:woohoo:
Gotta call that I had a package waiting for me!

picture.php

It's my Penetrator 84x HGL!!
Thank you HydroGrowsLeds!!!!
picture.php

picture.php

First thoughts: it's well made.
At 150W it's a little bigger and heavier than the 165W California Lightworks.
Bigger is fine, because the LEDs are spread out further. Which leads me to believe that the footprint it throws will be wider?
It feels heavier, but that could just be from better housing and the glass cover.

F'n thrilled. Can't get into the cramped chamber to hang it today, back still trashed. I actually took off work today and yesterday. (That's not like me)

Got my wife to plug it in, and take some pics, while I'm laid up in this stupid chair.
picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Here's pics of the diodes lit.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just looking at the light it casts on walls, it seems to have much less red than the CLW. More whitish.

I noticed that after turning the switch off the diodes dye down, with the reds staying dim for a while
picture.php
picture.php

They turned completely off after wifey pulled the plug. Not sure if this is normal for LEDs or not. Never really looked at it as lights cut off.
When I'm able to get up move, I'll check to compare to the CLW.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
The HGL light was packaged in thick foam and cardboard box. I was worried about that, because my USPS, and UPS guys are reckless. I'm glad that the HGL is so sturdy and was packaged correctly.
Came with the standard lighting plug. I think it's six foot.
Came with two wire hangers. They are not the adjustable "yo-yo" type.
But are made of plastic coated steel wire. Double metal barrel crimps on each end of wire forming a loop.
Small carabiners to attach to back of light and bigger carabiners to attach to ceiling hooks.
picture.php

So the height isn't adjustable as easily as a yoyo but these seem stronger and should hold more weight.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
HGL, what is the other socket for? The one on bottom below your product tag? ( In the pic above)

R

Rab.C

hi there Cannared i won the 126x for the 3ft x 2ft

your light looks amazing

hope mine arrives soon they look excellent

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
hi there Cannared i won the 126x for the 3ft x 2ft

your light looks amazing

Cool!
That's the size of my grow, somehow I entered wrong contest I guess. But nobody else entered so I won by default!

I'll probably either block off a foot or keep plant trained into a 2 x 2 area.

I need another space, badly! I was going to get a 3 x 3 tent because a 4 x 4 won't fit my space.
Depending on how much I like this new light will help decide what size tent to get. I may get a 2 x 2 just for the HGL, to match it's footprint.
I've always ran a cloning chamber, seedling/or quarantine chamber, early veg, late veg, bloom.
And move plants between chambers as they are ready.
HGL needs me to do a grow from start to finish under same light.
So depending on how that goes, will decide how I run in the future.

My dream grow, is a bunch of chambers.
Mother chamber
Male chamber
Breeding chamber
Quarantine chamber (for new cuts)
2 or 3 veg chambers
2 bloom chambers
Clone chamber, seedling chamber
Pheno hunting chamber ( for all same strain,)
Drying chamber- right now they hang in room that chambers are in. But I need something that is 100% dark, some light comes in thru window.
I can dream!