What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Seed Storage

If you don't have abilities of refrigeration, a dark cool dry place is best - although it is not a requirement, it sure prolongs viability. Yet, its funny - most of today's seedbank purchases won't last but a few years if not kept cool, dry and dark, but I have seen old seeds of different ages varying from thirty to twenty years germ even though the ratio is low. These same seeds were usually just bagged and tossed randomly somewhere in a cupboard or drawer.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I have a ammunition box, airtight and waterproof. I have some old beans in there. Took out a packet last year from 2006. They almost all sprouted and that is where my TOP44 came from. I have some Kali-Most and double Strawberry Diesel among others.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I have a ammunition box, airtight and waterproof. I have some old beans in there. Took out a packet last year from 2006. They almost all sprouted and that is where my TOP44 came from. I have some Kali-Most and double Strawberry Diesel among others.

Oh how I wish I stored all the good stuff I used to have from Kryptonite, Rez, OG Raskal ,MOD, man alot of guys thats not doing anything or the lines worked to death from everybody. Alot of other breeders too, The Dutch Passion WW from mid 2000, Paradise Seeds, I was making alot of money working at the time and just really didn't take time to store them proper. This thread should be a lesson to anybody young/old alike. Don't be a idiot like old WV, that being said Ive gotta my seeds stored correctly at this time. It's hard to get/find stuff you really really like, im gonna make sure to try and preserve them now. I'm glad this thread popped up maybe I'll wake up this time

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

If I open my eyes I probably got a container in front of me lol, I bet you was happy to get those to pop. I'm pretty sure they stopped making top 44, they might have recently brought it back I think, I'm sure it's not the same as the top 44 from 06.....you know its been worked for better or worse!!!

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I was a seed whore - squirreled away years of purchases, but never grew. Had lots of 5+ year old stuff. Never had fridge storage. Seeds in original packs if possible & they were kept in an old sewing kit in my basement. Gave most away & folks had nearly 100% germ rate. I personally have almost 100% germ rate with any I've tried to start. Current grow is 5+ year old stock, 100% germ rate. Pretty sure the key is dark, cool & leave them the fuck alone.

Zomboy

Veteran
Oh how I wish I stored all the good stuff I used to have from Kryptonite, Rez, OG Raskal ,MOD, man alot of guys thats not doing anything or the lines worked to death from everybody. Alot of other breeders too, The Dutch Passion WW from mid 2000, Paradise Seeds, I was making alot of money working at the time and just really didn't take time to store them proper. This thread should be a lesson to anybody young/old alike. Don't be a idiot like old WV, that being said Ive gotta my seeds stored correctly at this time. It's hard to get/find stuff you really really like, im gonna make sure to try and preserve them now. I'm glad this thread popped up maybe I'll wake up this time

I ran into the same issue. I moved a couple years back and the seeds werent stored properly after the move. Tried germing a bunch of them recently like original Raskal Wifi, Rez SFV x chem, relentless original drop of fire cherry cookies, and some others and got nothing. Still have a shit ton of old fire gear that i’d like to try and get to pop. Ive been reading up on some different germ methods people are using on old seed stock. Hopefully i can get some better results. All my new stuff to the collection goes into the fridge..

cool mans

i have got some nice seed now i want keep best shape ever.

I love icmag

PEACE BROTHERS AND SISTERS
keep it easy

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
What would be something good I could get to store quit a few seeds in?? Like some kinda dark jar or large container I could find at Wal-Mart or somewere?? I gotta quit messing around and get mine stored in the fridge. Just trying to find something big enough to get breeders packs in and air tight. Ive seen larger jars that's opauge that might be ok. Thanks

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You want a high quality les parfait style locking jar.. its what they use in professional seed stotage facilities.

Les parfait are the best because of the tolerance of the lip where it meets the lid is very consistent and even creating a good seal..

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
You want a high quality les parfait style locking jar.. its what they use in professional seed stotage facilities.

Les parfait are the best because of the tolerance of the lip where it meets the lid is very consistent and even creating a good seal..

Thanks alot I'll see about getting one

acespicoli

Check out the selection of Pelican watertight cases on amazon
I have to agree about the waterproof cases they are very nice.
Wallyworld - Walmart has a nice selection in the camping section, amazon too
picture.php

The vials below are available from ebay and amazon for a reasonable price

picture.php

Soda bottle preforms food grade plastic and water tight
good for larger amounts of seeds
available online as well
picture.php

Harbor freight has some nice generic waterproof storage pelican type cases as well, the larger sizes
picture.php

After thinking how much you invest in seeds its worth it to store them properly