What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

taxes...

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
im just curious to hear from some differing perspectives on this issue which i have struggled with my entire life. i just cant reconcile within myself on how to bring myself to pay income tax. it just feels completely wrong to me. other than when i was an employed teenager i have always been a fly under the radar type of guy who has not payed income tax but i find myself coming to a point where i may have to go the employment route which would find me having to pay income tax and i just cant find a way to enter into that endeavor. it just feels beyond wrong to me. i feel like it is essentially legal theft. of coarse i understand what the average joe will argue. "you like driving on roads dont you? well roads cost money and that money has to come from somewhere. if you want to use the roadways you have to pay taxes." well first of all, if that is the basis of the argument i neednt look any further that my local roads. essentially every year my vehicle sustains damage from unrepaired potholes. theoretically this shouldnt be happening if people are paying taxes but it still is. then when i really crunch the numbers is when i become absolute in my defiance. if in a single day i earn $100 generally approximately $30 of that goes to income tax leaving my with $70. when i now go to spend that money in a retail establishment i am further taxed 13% so the value of that amount is reduced to a little over $50 after i pay sales tax. in theory by the time taxation occurs half of what i earned that day is collected in taxes. not only can i not survive in that scenario, i also cant comprehend the why of it all? can anyone explain to me how this is a fair and workable situation? as i said, struggle as i do i just cant make it right in my head and get on board. from my understanding this taxation scenario started during ww1 and was at the rate of 1% of income and was supposed to end when the war ended. obviously once the government realized what they had on their hands they simply couldnt give it up and as a system it has evolved into what it is today. the term "taxed to death" doesnt exist for no reason. can anyone change my mind and or explain to me how to survive financially in this scenario???

geneva_sativa

Hey Billy,

I've always found this quote, by abolitionist and all around interesting fellow, Lysander Spooner,right on point and very insightful,,,

On Highway Robbery and Taxation

"The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a “protector,” and that he takes men’s money against their will, merely to enable him to “protect” those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do.

He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful “sovereign,” on account of the “protection” he affords you. He does not keep “protecting” you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villainies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave. " -Lysander Spooner

Taxes are the price of living in a civilized society. I am in California, one of the highest taxed states in the U.S.
My best friend as a kid Bill G. took the under the radar route and now 40 years later the only thing keeping him from being homeless is the generosity of his younger sister. If Bill became disabled he would receive about $900 a month in SSI benefits and some food stamps and spend his golden years in poverty.
On the other hand I took a job and learned a skill and bought a house Invested money to reduce my taxes to the lowest possible amount. At the age of 55 I became disabled and have been receiving $2400 a month tax free for the most part. Great medical coverage from Medicare and have amassed a small fortune from my investments. Enough money to live until my 90's.
When one is not living under the radar there is opportunities that are not available to tax cheaters and criminals unless you are very lucky and don't get caught. They are however gambling with their freedom. But hey convicts don't pay taxes either.
I agree some of the taxes collected are wasted on wars, bridges to nowhere etc. but maybe if everyone paid their taxes the pothole would be repaired and you would not damage your car every year. Until then slow down and watch out for the perils of potholes and criminal activity.
Peace out.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
thanks for your well thought out reply. im not 100% against the idea of taxes in a civilized society . i understand the need for infrastructure, medical care ect. my issue is the amount we are taxed and what we receive in return. it all seems highly disproportionate to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts