What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What temperature should I purge ethanol out to get shatter?!

Nobleski1

Hey guys! So I'm having trouble purging... I witherized my BHO and filtered out all the garbage and evaporated the product down to a decent sappy consistency to pour into the trays in my AI 1.9 oven. I'm having trouble getting it to purge/bubble and my temp is at 112f... I don't want to ruin my shatter I'm trying to make! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

tech1234

Hey guys! So I'm having trouble purging... I witherized my BHO and filtered out all the garbage and evaporated the product down to a decent sappy consistency to pour into the trays in my AI 1.9 oven. I'm having trouble getting it to purge/bubble and my temp is at 112f... I don't want to ruin my shatter I'm trying to make! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

112-115f. it needs to be a very thin film, unlike BHO. (think paint like thickness) Ethanol only escapes from the surface of the oelresin

TerpChild

I am not sure if 112-115F at vac is over 174F. You already killed the terps so just bump up the temp slowly until you see the ethanol start to purge out.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ethanol blows huge bubbles that resist popping, so I've had to go as hot as 125 F under -29.5" Hg vacuum after first repeatedly bumping the vacuum in an attempt to collapse them.

Nobleski1

Thank you guys I'm currently bumping up the temperature I'm at 120 right no and I have some action but it's slow. Think I might bump it up some more... Stay tuned lol

hash head

112f?

I never made BHO but pure ethanol boils at about 174°F. Try higher next time. :tiphat:

Better yet read some chemistry stuff online about the chemicals your working with.

Here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
What temp does it boil in a vacuum oven? Isn't this more important? As I have heard people purge off all ethanol with just air circulation I don't know if going above 120 in a vacuum is what it needs... really depends if there are terpenes present and if they are trying to save those terpenes.. if so go low temp.. if not then purge hot and fast

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What temp does it boil in a vacuum oven? Isn't this more important? As I have heard people purge off all ethanol with just air circulation I don't know if going above 120 in a vacuum is what it needs... really depends if there are terpenes present and if they are trying to save those terpenes.. if so go low temp.. if not then purge hot and fast

Boiling table compliments of Skyhighler, but the issue is that alcohol and cannabis essential oils forms an azeotrope that has a high surface tension, making bubbles difficult to burst and the vapor to escape.

You can repeatedly slam the vacuum to collapse them and/or you can raise the temperature high enough to lower the mixtures surface tension enough for bubbles to readily burst.

Attachments

• Boiling point of ethanol under vacuum.jpg
    Boiling point of ethanol under vacuum.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 27

Nobleski1

Well I I'm at 125 and there's just a bunch of bubbles under the surface not breaching and expelling.. I'm also only able to pull 28hg right now because of a leak in my brand new AI... (don't recommend AI) but that's another post... So I guess I'm going to slowly keep climbing until I see some magic start happening!

gumby420

Well I I'm at 125 and there's just a bunch of bubbles under the surface not breaching and expelling.. I'm also only able to pull 28hg right now because of a leak in my brand new AI... (don't recommend AI) but that's another post... So I guess I'm going to slowly keep climbing until I see some magic start happening!

whats your altitude? that plays a roll in how deep your vac will pull. Also, if you shut off your vacuum valve and turn off your pump, does it stay at -28?

Nobleski1

whats your altitude? that plays a roll in how deep your vac will pull. Also, if you shut off your vacuum valve and turn off your pump, does it stay at -28?

I'm 164 ft above sea level I should have no problem pulling a good vac... And I have a 9cfm pump but still. It will hold for a day then slowly start dropping.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is your oven or your puddle at 125F? A lot happens between -28" Hg and -29.5" Hg. I would suggest fixing your vacuum leak.

killa12345

I'm 164 ft above sea level I should have no problem pulling a good vac... And I have a 9cfm pump but still. It will hold for a day then slowly start dropping.

Did you buy it new? AI had no problem taking my oven back immediately. Sounds like you bought someone broken oven.

tech1234

after a run in the rotovape, my ethanol winterized live resins go into my AI oven at no more than 115f (29.5 at sea level) for 8 hours and come out fully purged and without any ethanol harshness when toked, and surprisingly stable for a live resin (most strains).

Just what has been working for me for close to a hundred elbows of finished product

troutman

Seed Whore
Is your oven or your puddle at 125F? A lot happens between -28" Hg and -29.5" Hg. I would suggest fixing your vacuum leak.

^^^ Like he says. Fix the vacuum leak. Never run leaking gear. If you had butane or
other flammables involved it could be very dangerous in a hurry. So yeah, fix the leak.

Nobleski1

UPDATE: found out after dissasembly that across international are cheap and garbage (lesson learned) but I was able to find the leak in the vacuum release so I just by passed it and put in a ball valve on the pump hose, and a bleed valve. I'm and finally getting full vac and am getting bubbles to break at 125f. I have been purging for two solid days now but I still can't get it to shatter!! Sticky oil. Almost snap and pull texture. I have flipped once. Smells and burns clean though. Maybe it's just not going to stable up?