What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If these little aholes persist I might go down the botanigard route as well, even with the more than steep shipping costs to Europe. Probably still cheaper in the end than all these semi successful attempts of keeping them at bay... keen to hear how it's faring for you.
CC

Desert Dan

Veteran
If these little aholes persist I might go down the botanigard route as well, even with the more than steep shipping costs to Europe. Probably still cheaper in the end than all these semi successful attempts of keeping them at bay... keen to hear how it's faring for you.
CC
It’s not just the botaniguard… It is a full reset! I had been using botaniguard unsuccessfully for a year prior to this.

I think that perlite and large coco chunks of my previous mix actually impeded its efficacy. Also the res of the hempy bucket maintains moisture all the way to the top layer of the coco.

-DD

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah ok I see! I read the reset bit but didn't know you had been unsuccessful with botanigard prior. I thought it might be the solution, but apparently not so...sigh.Doesn't it say it'll kill aphids ?
Thanks anyways DD!
CC

Desert Dan

Veteran
Ah ok I see! I read the reset bit but didn't know you had been unsuccessful with botanigard prior. I thought it might be the solution, but apparently not so...sigh.Doesn't it say it'll kill aphids ?
Thanks anyways DD!
CC
It will kill, but not an overnight knockout… you need to maintain the ideal environment for the spores to be effective.

If you have a large population you need to use a knockdown, like pyrethrum, first.

Better to reset and clean clean clean!

-DD

microbe621

The last time I had pests in the soil I used nematodes purchased at the local garden nursery. I was amazed at the outcome, considering the infestation was considerable.
moi aussi j ai utiliser les nematodes, cela a fonctionner du tonnerre..+ piege jaune, la population etait importante, et les plantes en souffrees, les nematodes fonctionne bien pour moi

onavelzy

Veteran
When putting plants into new media, coco, soil, you name it, you can eliminate existing bugs pretty effectively before planting by using boiling water.

I used a 5 g HD type bucket and a standard, wire mesh desk-side trash can (see link below)
If possible, do the prep outside where it won't matter if you spill some water or medium,
because you will
put the trash can into the 5 g bucket then fill it with how much medium you plan to use.
borrow some large stew pots from the kitchen, fill them to about 2/3 to 3/4 full with water and bring the water to a roiling boil.
put a lid on the pot and take it out to the soil container and pour it in carefully. Pour in enough to cover the medium {see other link below)
Cover the bucket and leave it over night, or for a few hours to cool down then pour out the water.
use when ready to plant but the sooner after treating the better to avoid any new bugs getting in.
You would need to add new beneficials as the heat will wipe out any that came with the medium

hope that wasn't too wordy

https://www.icmag.com/media/18078881/

https://www.icmag.com/media/18078882/

Last edited:
I've used Athena IPM on spider mites once before and worked like a charm. I grew several autos outside last summer (big mistake in hot and humid NY). I had a huge aphid problem. I was able to knock most of them off with a garden hose but couldn't get rid of them. I saw them on branches while drying. I used my butane lighter to burn as many as I could get at but needless to say this was a HUGE turnoff for me. Nothing worse than having it in the back of your mind that there are dead bugs in my buds im about to smoke. I've never had aphids in an indoor grow before. Isn't diatomaceous earth a good solution for fungus gnats? Can't get in, can't get out...

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
microbe life photosynthesis plus also seems to have an inhibting effect on these critters, why I can't tell you...
Only once in a while I see one coming out of the soil and they look drugged somehow after I started using the above
CC

woolybear

Veteran
I bought a small jar of the sticky clear goo and have made insect traps by using it on white plastic strips.

Recently I found that taking a toothpick and treating the rim of my planting cups/pots has caught a boatload of them. The goo comes off easily enough.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pressurize your grow room. Have more air going in than out so you build a positive air pressure in the room. Make sure your air intake is well filtered. I use a carbon filter on my intake. This will prevent insect eggs and fungus spores from entering the room. This is what I do. I live in Seattle where it’s always wet and tons of bugs. I don’t even have to preventative spray. My plants are as clean as they can get. Also so t go in your grow room with clothes and shoes you wear outside. Also no pets in the grow room. Also sweep daily. Clean up excess water. And dirt. All these things will prevent you from dealing with pests and fungus in the future.

Latest posts

Latest posts