What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any recreational dispensaries open yet?

yardgrazer

Nope, or at least there's no news of it via the website associated with the state's major paper - and I expect they would make note of that (they have a Marijuana section under News).

ETA: Hard to know for sure what's going on with the spare info provided, but I took a look at the CCC website and perused their public documents. They're scheduled to meet this Thursday, and one of their agenda items involving completed applications lists the dispensary in A'bury that already has a provisional license... maybe that's an indication they got their ducks in a row with the town and are ready to start retail sales?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I figure since they only certified 2 labs for recreational testing they are getting slammed and have to work through the logjam of tests before any of the dispensaries can offer recreational.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Nope, or at least there's no news of it via the website associated with the state's major paper - and I expect they would make note of that (they have a Marijuana section under News).
...[snipped, a lot of very interesting stuff]

wait,what?!?
your local paper has a section devoted to grass?
thats so cool man! what kind of stories do they post?

we dont even have that here in san diego, and its been at least rec legal here for the past 20y!
no wonder newspapers are dying out, our print media is crap

Last edited:

yardgrazer

Heh, sadly it's not a cool section at all - it's "straight news" so they have a story about some local HS students who got sick after eating extract-containing brownies, a human interest story about the activist on the control board, some pieces about "What the heck is taking so long?" etc.

I have no doubt publications will find some way of getting in on the action once retail sales begin. Surprised SD doesn't have that yet, PDX has magazines, pot columnists, etc.

yardgrazer

And, according to a fairly length piece on that same site (the name of the state's capital city dot whatever), still no final licenses issued. The CCC was supposedly hopeful that they would issue one today, but the provisional license holders hadn't jumped through all of the hoops they need to in order to get their final license. Apparently one retailer had their final inspection on Tuesday, and another was set to have theirs done today - but that wasn't enough time for the CCC to get reports back as to readiness.

At this point the CCC is saying they're hopeful to have it up and running by the end of the year. I'd like to think things will move faster than that.

Even the activist on the CCC is saying they have a process and they know how long the actual process should take, but it requires retailers to take certain steps (e.g. town approval, registering of employees, supply, inspection), and the retailers following through on all of them is out of the CCC's control. Hard not to make snarky comments comparing the CCC to Massport.

yardgrazer

Probably a sign of what's to come, there's a kinda silly fluff piece on that same site about what to expect at dispensaries. Well, kinda silly or really super-useful, depending on one's experience with cannabis.

In the end I imagine this may still be on the order of weeks, not months. I wouldn't be half surprised if they'd like to give final approval to a number of retailers at once - can you imagine what it'd be like if just one retailer opens? Even if they open 15 at once it's still going to be insanely busy for the first few weeks, one could cause some real problems for a smaller town. Best to do it right even if it keeps us all waiting.

And there's still always the black market.

yardgrazer

I talked to someone who has a friend employed by a dispensary, he said the friend had told him his employer was basically ready to go - just waiting on final approval from the state.

Personally I'm probably gonna wait a bit before going, not really looking to stand around in a long line. And even then, will likely keep turning to the black market for bud for awhile.

yardgrazer

New article: Yes, two dispensaries will likely get final approval on Thursday (Leicester and Noho) but don't expect them to open for a few weeks. For one thing laboratories had to go through the same process, and none of them have gotten final approval. Also, more hoops for dispensaries to jump through.

Eventually.

yardgrazer

Saw a few minor updates yesterday, first, that one of the labs is set to have its final inspection next week, which should help move things along. Also a general piece on why the heck this is still going on... sounds like it's getting close, but still likely 2 weeks away from retail rec sales (2 weeks is getting to be a mantra).

In the meantime read somewhere that projections are the state is losing out on $147k in tax income per day. Sounds like a lot of people are getting super-frustrated with this process.