What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag Seed Experiment

CaptnCrunch

A friend gave me some seeds he had from an unknown strain so I could experiment with them.
1st pic is from June 1st, second one is from July 14th.
I've tried different soils, fertilizers, different PH waters, etc. I've tried fim, top, lst and super cropping to see what the effects are between each.

Keeping a log of everything hoping to break all the info down this winter and come up with an easy, low hassle guide to go by in the future.
The last time I tried growing was in 1978! Been doing ok so far.

CaptnCrunch

Did you get to try the 'erb the seeds came from Capt?

I'm curious how you know that? But, to answer the question, no.
I'm saving those to start late winter or very early spring. I'm very pleased to get those, and am looking forward to growing with good genetic seed.

The seeds for this experimental grow came from a friend who's been growing from this seed for the last 10 years. His process is to start them on his window sill when he gets about 12/12 light, then when they show sex he puts them under 18/6 1000w hps. He says "his females always have some seeds" so he replants with those. I'm sure everything hermies doing it that way, so I'm not expecting much, other than to get some grow experience.

CaptnCrunch

Update on the experiment.

Plants are about 5.5' to a little under 7'
Buds are small, I'm guess maybe a couple weeks in flower?
Some fan leaves dying, maybe from age of plant?
I need to start defoliating
Stuck half back in cheap greenhouse, left rest ou8tside.

Attachments

• 8-28-18a.jpg
    8-28-18a.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 8-28-18b.jpg
    8-28-18b.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 83

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For bag seed, those are some nice looking gals!

One of my favorite plants ever came from some Mexican bag seed.
(my first "to the finish" grow, actually)

I hope you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

CaptnCrunch

Thanks MJ and Ace. Later this week the weather guy is calling for night time temps in the upper 30's. Hope they survive!

Cvh

Supermod
Oh boy. Thats some real plant prn. Keep up to good work!
And post some regular updates.

CaptnCrunch

The last 2 nights the temps have been 32 degrees and heavy frost. The plants I left outside did get damaged a little but not severely. I'm guessing I need about 3 weeks more before I can harvest.
Thanks for the comments everybody.

CaptnCrunch

Took a few pics yesterday. The plants outside are showing some frost damage, the ones I crammed in the greenhouse look ok, but very crowded. 3 weeks to harvest? I have no clue, lol.

Attachments

• 9-12-18-frost-hit.jpg
    9-12-18-frost-hit.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 80
  • 9-12-18a.jpg
    9-12-18a.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 91218c.jpg
    91218c.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 87

BlackBart

Veteran
Hey Cap the next time we get a frost cover your plants with some plastic or even the blue plastic tarps they sell everywhere in Maine . You don't need to get to picky just throw over the top will work fine .

Looks like you still have a good 2 to 3 weeks to go before there going to be ready .

CaptnCrunch

Hey Cap the next time we get a frost cover your plants with some plastic or even the blue plastic tarps they sell everywhere in Maine . You don't need to get to picky just throw over the top will work fine .

Looks like you still have a good 2 to 3 weeks to go before there going to be ready .

Yeah, I found a couple tarps in my garage for the next frost. Don't know why I didn't do that before, lol. My mind must be slipping from old age, lol.

radioman

Wow! You guys up there in Maine are already getting frost!.. No Frost here yet in my part of Vermont. Last year We never even had a Frost in October. This Spring - I started putting plants in on May 14th... Last winter, it was bitter cold with tons of snow. I have a friend from Houlton Maine and he said the snow always sticks around longer there... Your plants look very nice even with the minor frost damage...

CaptnCrunch

Wow! You guys up there in Maine are already getting frost!.. No Frost here yet in my part of Vermont. Last year We never even had a Frost in October. This Spring - I started putting plants in on May 14th... Last winter, it was bitter cold with tons of snow. I have a friend from Houlton Maine and he said the snow always sticks around longer there... Your plants look very nice even with the minor frost damage...

I had to start harvesting because the next 3 nights are going to be in the 26 to 30 range.

Attachments

• bud1.jpg
    bud1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 83
  • bud2.jpg
    bud2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 78

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Very nice main Maine man! Good or bad, growing bag seeds is always an adventure :)
Shame about the early harvest and frost, but there's not much u can do about that. Growing outdoor weed in Finland, and battling the forces of nature every year, I can say from experience that nature and conditions will bitch slap a grower back to reality pretty fast, if you take your chances against em. Here it's mostly moisture and mould that's the worst enemy, cold comes later, but not yet.

Anyways, if you're gonna grow OD again come next season, you might wanna check out some earlier strains that are more suitable for outdoor growing, not to mention way more hardy than unknown seeds that came from indoor grown buds most likely..?
If you need help with that, tips or tricks and what not, holler at ya boy! ;)

That said, if this was your first grow since 1978, give yourself a pat on the back there. Back in the game, baby! :):yes:

WarmheartedScarceCatbird-size_restricted.gif

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had to start harvesting because the next 3 nights are going to be in the 26 to 30 range.

I think you made the right move.

I've had plants survive temps as low as 25 for a couple hours but they looked like crap afterword. The following warm days they perked back up and finished fine.

CaptnCrunch

Very nice main Maine man! Good or bad, growing bag seeds is always an adventure :)
Shame about the early harvest and frost, but there's not much u can do about that. Growing outdoor weed in Finland, and battling the forces of nature every year, I can say from experience that nature and conditions will bitch slap a grower back to reality pretty fast, if you take your chances against em. Here it's mostly moisture and mould that's the worst enemy, cold comes later, but not yet.

Anyways, if you're gonna grow OD again come next season, you might wanna check out some earlier strains that are more suitable for outdoor growing, not to mention way more hardy than unknown seeds that came from indoor grown buds most likely..?
If you need help with that, tips or tricks and what not, holler at ya boy! ;)

That said, if this was your first grow since 1978, give yourself a pat on the back there. Back in the game, baby! :):yes:
View Image

Thanks. I'm also having a small issue with a little bud rot. I think it was from keeping the plants too close together. Live and learn right! Looking at earlier strains with known good genetics for next year as we speak. Thanks for the advise!

Latest posts

Latest posts