What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vermont Thread

radioman

I noticed there is no Vermont thread listed. Since New Hampshire is considered our "sister state" - I decided I would post here...
Vermont is currently (seriously) considering a legalization/regulation bill in the State House of Representatives. The State Senate has already passed the "bill". Governor Shumlin is on board and will sign it into law if the House passes the bill...
Unfortunately, the "bill" does not include individual "Home-Growers".
Vermont citizens will be able to purchase up to a half-ounce and "out-of-staters" up to a quarter ounce from a state-licensed facility. Residents will be able to possess up to an ounce, I'm not sure about "out-of-staters"...
The tax rate will be 25% added on the purchase price. There are also other provisions in the bill...It's not the best "bill". Especially since people won't be able to legally "grow their own". I would also like to see the "Government" expand the Medical Marijuana program here in Vermont...

oldchuck

Veteran
Okay, the governor vetoed the bill but he left the door open a crack. He wants some kind of compromise but just what he would want I don't really know. As a practical matter it makes no difference in my life.

oldchuck

Veteran
Check out Heady Vermont. They are throwing a big celebration on July 1 in Essex in honor of legalization. We're around just not too noisy.

ion

stinking greenneckers....all y'all....and trey should be lovin vt after all the gifts the state's given him in not putting his ass in solitary for all his pillpoppin escapades......god bless his heart, damn good guitar player ya know?

this is straight, vt gonna be even greener than before, need a vt forum indeed. i vote zappa as president.

any you want to possibly trade some cuts after july 1? i would of course be willing to do so before then, but it's illegal (but for you pot growers, maybe we could talk in PM)........im working with some seeds i got from a guy in the eastern townships, he's been planting the same beans for 15+years that he got from humboldt in mid 90s......ask him what they are and he says "humboldt!".....

i just hope to god/allah/cthulhu/santa that the vt lawboys can keep the asshats from big biz at bay, they're laready here in enough force but if vt culture stays true it should be done reasonably well here. at least we wot have pot billboards ya know?

radioman

Looking at The New Legalization Law - It doesn't favor personal growers much at all... Only 2 mature plants and 4 immature plants are allowed... Landlords can say "No Plants" at all... Also No Dispensaries to buy weed at... They (Politicians) will have to eventually tweak the Laws...

oldchuck

Veteran
It's a very big step in the right direction, I think. The big corporations as well as slick chain store types will not be permitted. A lot of newbies will start learning how to grow. There are already classes all over the state offering various kinds of Cannabis information. Sure, the law will get tweaked. For more than a decade the MMJ law has been modified from its cautious beginning. The cops won't be busting anybody and nobody will go short of weed.

Sign

I read somewhere that Vermont is defining a mature or immature marijuana plant within the law as specifically a female marijuana plant as it counts towards cultivation number limits.

Male plants specifically not mentioned. Not a huge thing but unless I read it right you should be able to grow out some epic males for breeding purposes and not have it count towards your limit.

Something tiny I know but when I read the article that jumped out at me, hopefully it helps one of you.

yardgrazer

Interesting. I hadn't heard that.

Not that keen on the limits they put in place, but it is what it is I guess.

Would be nice to see a Vermont subsection of the state-by-state forum now that (7/1) possession and cultivation are legal under state law. I tried messaging a mod before, maybe I'll try again.

yardgrazer

PS: There was a episode of Vermont Edition that aired today about legalization. Sadly it seemed scare-mongery to me, although that's somewhat typical of VPR. They did mention Heady, etc.

yardgrazer

Just a suggestion: if people want to see a proper Vermont subforum in the USA-state by state section of the forums, I started a thread in the Website support section asking them to create just that. If it's only me asking, I don't imagine anyone will feel pressed to do anything about the request, but with more voices asking for it, who knows, maybe the forces that be will create us a room of our own sooner rather than later.

oldchuck

Veteran
There really not that many of us here. I suspect it would be a pretty dull forum. However things have not been dull in this year of legalization. People have been crawling out of the woodwork surprising each other to find old time growers all over the place. Heady is doing good service as well. Legitimacy is rapidly being awarded by medical people. It's wonderful to be able to grow a big plant or two on my back porch without paranoia.

yardgrazer

And the legislature's already chipping away at legalization - word in VT Digger that there are moves afoot to try to rescind the law, and the state clarified that the gifting with a purchase operations are against the law. Dick Sears, yadda yadda.

oldchuck

Veteran
Current law will not be rescinded. That's not the way things work. There will be opposition to the next step, commercial farming and retail sales, of course, and it might well delay that next step. A lot more detail is required to formula that kind of expansion but prohibition is done and gone. The gifting dodge is amusing. The AG is correct. It is just a dodge and weed is actually being sold. No worries, mate. Grow your six plants or get a med card.

yardgrazer

Obviously you can quibble over my choice of words, but I think it's foolish not to accept that there are parties totally opposed to legalization, and if they can manage it they would push through legislation to make cultivation illegal again. Now, do they have the numbers to make that happen? Doubtful. But not unthinkable.

Agreed that it's unsurprising the state wasn't keen on people's... "entrepreneurial spirit" when it comes to gifting that involves money. Particularly where certain operations were really pushing it... i.e. the delivery charge based on amount gifted.

yardgrazer

Had a funny moment - went to a growshop to pickup some CalMag and nutes, shop-guy had a bud sitting out on the counter. Certainly different from the last time I went to a grow shop when you had to play like you were growing something else.