What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation Experiment on NYCD

FloridaHomGrown

next go around do full indica

next go around do full indica

The most important conclusion of this experiment was this strain is not suited for defoliation and not even topping, because this plant was a very slow growing one. It was by far the slowest plant I ever grow. The mother from I have took the clones was lower than 25cm after one and a half month of intense vegging, while her neighbors (super skunk, train wrek, blue berry, and a few others) grew almost double in height.

I might repeat the experiment with a very nice growing sativa hybrid which I grown in the past with great results : G13 Haze, a very branching plant, with explosive gr beeow in the first two-three weeks of flowering.
Its been a bit since this experiment.why dont you give a new round with indica?thicker shorter growth will benefit the most.check "sog with me 112 plant hempy 2liter grow " all plants were grown in 2lite soda bottles producing over half oz each .all defo,d at day21 n 45 with no side branching.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Good thread! few questions...
Was the whole grow done under LED? Only wondering because from what ive read LED lights dont penetrate as well, so mass defoliation may not be the best choice for a grow where the power of the light dies drastically before it reaches the bottoms anyway.

Also was the defoliation done only during flower or at all during veg? Ive also heard that you must start defoliation early veg for it to be successful because it increases the amount of bud sites.

Great thread though man, I wish more people would do experiments like this. I might try it sometime with a gorilla glue or two, see what it do.

al70

Veteran
1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM #15
melro52

Pluck those leaves, they're taking away from the buds!
I'm a senior female who has been growing all sorts of plants, bushes, trees my whole life. I learned it from my first generation American mom who grew everything too. When a plant like marijuana, which is a terpenoid, (produces resin no differently than a pine tree), gets to the stage that it is flowering/budding, the plant pretty much ceases to grow. At this stage all plant's energy is going toward producing seed be it in the form of fruit, vegetable, flowers, buds. Every living thing is programmed to PROCREATE if nothing else. Any plant in stress, a tree that is dying, a plant in it's final stages will quickly try to procreate as much as possible.

We prevent female marijuana plants from being pollinated and seeding so buds continue to swell in the hope of being pollinated and the plant procreating. The big marijuana leaves on the plant at this stage are doing nothing but taking resin away from the buds. The plant itself should no longer be growing because it's reached it's pot size potential and we've forced it to bud. The buds are what people want to smoke not leaves, so pinch them off. Use the sticky leaves to make butter, or hash. As for the resin in the plant, it's now known that higher temps, increased sunlight, and decreased water supply really motivate terpenoids to produce resin.

Pinching out the big marijuana leaves allows:

Light and heat to hit all budding sights
Keeps the plant drier signaling more resin production (the hydro in THC is a clue) to protect and nourish the swelling buds.
Alerts the plant that a herbivore may be eating it. Resin is a plants defense. Most critters do NOT like the taste of resin and therefore the plant will produce even more resin.
Allows all the good juju (resin) to go right to the buds and not on the leaves, which no one wants to smoke.

Think about it. Everything in my yard perennials, bushes, trees, herbs, roses, vegetables get thinned out once, twice, some three times over the summer or they suffer. I've flowered a 4 ft. lime tree in a pot. I've got gardenia's blooming on a giant 3 ft bush in my living room in MI right now. Always remember that the top of any plant in a pot cannot grow beyond the root system that supports it so once the plant/tree is mature, cutting back/pinching is necessary, repotting is NOT because part of forcing any plant to bloom is letting it become root bound, taking away light, and restricting water supply. This makes the plant bloom faster and more vigorously because it's all it can do. It must produce seed to maintain the species despite its dire conditions (starvation) and will do it every time.

When my plucked Northern Lights girly gets even more white with resin I'll post pics. She's only into her 4th week of flowering and smells absolutely lovely.

JOHNWANE

i would to see thoses plants when they r done.

i would to see thoses plants when they r done.

:dance013::peacock:
hi hempfield thanks for taking the time to do this .I know there will always be disagrements about defolitions .we will see what turns out for you in the end of this grow from each group and have a record of the results from these 2 radically different approaches to growing thanks again for furthering all our knowledge about different growing styles aloha cls

When my plucked Northern Lights girly gets even more white with resin I'll post pics. She's only into her 4th week of flowering and smells absolutely lovely.

when i didnt pluck any it still got more white with resin, its how plants work..

flamstaa

Great work and your results show what I've noticed over time in my tent where the plants at the back that has less leaf stripped always produced more. Took me ages to make the connection though