What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical Scrog

So I have some more pics that show how I bend my plants to fill in the gaps. The top buds are what I am after they are bigger and easier to trim so I have been clipping the buds and branches closest to the main stem. In order to fill this area I bend my branches back so some tops fill in this newly created void. Here are some pictures.

View Image

View Image

These two show how I take a branch and run it up or down the main stem to fill in where I have removed some of the suckers.

View Image

This picture shows how I have wrapped a top bud back so it stretches to fill in where the suckers where cut of. If you look at the lower branch you can see where I have cut off a sucker.

View Image

This picture shows a branch bent down to fill in a bare spot on the lower right. It also shows a branch bent down from the left to fill in the void along the main stem. If you look just to the left of center you see a branch that cuts across the top. This branch is used to fill in across the top where I had cleared out some branches so that my top does not get to crowded and cause me to be to have a dense area of growth. The picture below show this same area farther away so you can see it better and in context.

View Image

As you can see to the lower left and lower right I have bent some of the bigger branches back down to fill in where I have removed some of the lower branches that usually make smaller buds which I find tedious to trim.

I will post some more tomorrow.

Bravo!

The bending to the stalk is what I've been wondering about in vert scrog...waiting with baited breath.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
As promised here are some pictures.

All the pictures below come from this area on a 7 week OG Kush plant

picture.php

What you are looking at is a branch coming down the main stem. This is tied to fill in like I show in previous posts. If you look at the center you see the green tie on this branch. Just to the right of this is a sucker branch coming up from lower on the plant.

These two pictures are pictures of the branch that is coming down. A nickel is used to show the bud size here.

picture.php

picture.php

You can clearly see that the size of the bud in the top picture is far larger than the bud in the bottom picture. Even though both are on the same branch.

The last picture is the sucker branch that is coming up the side of the main stem.

picture.php

As you can see the buds are small on the bottom as well as the top as can be seen in the top picture and the bottom picture.

I am new to this trimming so if you want to pipe in feel free. I am learning how to tie my plants in this manner to reduce my time trimming smaller buds and become more productive in the long run. As you can see above it makes sense to trim the suckers out to increase the bud size.

I know that bud size is dependent on many things but it just makes sense to me to position the plant to maximize bud quality.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I prefer using Bobbles Pink "Breast Cancer Awareness" ties.......makes me think my plant has boobies!

Good work IC!

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Were you inspired by the recent Olympics? Some crazy bending going on there...
I have gotten much more comfortable removing "suckers". I have made some exceptions (very few) on the USD this run, but once you identify the laterals, any bud site with a stem is generally snipped off.
The early defoliation is something I have done, and did not get the results I was expecting. I now religiously do not touch my plant until I hit the 40% of flower period complete. Just thinking out loud, but stress is stress right? If overly defoliating a plant sets it back a week, wouldn't that also affect the whole cycle?
I have noticed that my plants don't skip a beat now, and are stretching 1"-2" a day after less than a week in, and flowers are showing earlier than when I butchered my plants before going into the flower room.
Looks damn crazy though!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
early defoliation is something I have done, and did not get the results I was expecting. I now religiously do not touch my plant until I hit the 40% of flower period complete. Just thinking out loud, but stress is stress right? !

Yes I have noticed this as well. The plants that I clipped the large fans from may have some small buds from that. I do most of my trimming of suckers before I flower. Then when stretch is over I clip any that show up and all the fans over several days.

D

DHF

Yes I have noticed this as well. The plants that I clipped the large fans from may have some small buds from that. I do most of my trimming of suckers before I flower. Then when stretch is over I clip any that show up and all the fans over several days.
Yessir.....Ya`ll boys is catchin on......:tiphat:.....

Always trim shape and prune yer bitches BEFORE the flip while they`re growin leaps and bounds , and especially all the nuthin ass "sucker branches"......and then.....

Once stretch is completely over , keep up the good work of clearin out anything that springs forth off the laterals even if they`ve got budset , cuz they`ll never amount to more than flarfy popcorn bullshit and steal vital plant energy from the laterals till end of cycle....bet on it.....and again....

Even during stretch yas can clip sucker branches out without stuntin./shockin the plants as long as yas don`t rape em all at 1 time.....

Sucker branches are strain dependent and some varieties spit out more than others , so it all gets back to learning your strains wants and needs from repeated growing/monocroppin to witness first hand the improvements made from 1 run to the next.......anyways....

Good luck Icky....DHF...:ying:.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
nice set-up! :yes:

i like the layout, simple and efficient..

Thanks Mr. I have been running this set up for almost a year, but with out the blumats. It is so easy to maintain because I can get any plant out at any time to work on or remove and replace with a new one.

Yes fred I must learn my strains better. I am a strain whore and have some where north of 15 starins so it is difficult.

Village Green I will be getting some more pictures tomorrow after 8 PM. They will be the first week of stretch.

Today I added my first batch of nutes since my first double batch. So the ladies drank 16 gallons this week.

I am having a difficult time with 2 of the blumats. They almost dried out a chemdog and a og kush. I soaked the plants and reset them and this did not work. So yesterday I dialed them down to a steady drip like the other plants have going. Today I felt the bottom of the bags and they were soaking wet so I dial them back to a clinging drop then 1/2 arrow past so hopefully that will do it. Two arrows past did not work so maybe a half arrow will.

I have been using the black clips to tie back branches as needed this week. They seem to work better than the green plastic strapping. I think the plastic would work better if I was using a screen with a larger grid spacing.

Will post pictures tomorrow night.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
And the totals so far

Time mixing nutes 26 minutes
Total nutes used so far 16 with 32 in res.

Time spent cleaning 2 minutes.

Time spent training and trimming plants 2 hours 5 minutes.

Time setting up Blumats 38 minutes.

time spraying plants for pest 28 minutes.

Total time spent on flowering so far is 3 hours and 39 minutes.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Today I was trimming fan leaves in another flower room, on some plants that just finished stretch and found two spider mites. I will be gassing them tomorrow with 5000 ppm CO2.

I went into the flower room pictured here and did some light readings and checked but found no mites. I will be keeping a close eye out for them. I still have about two weeks of stretch left. I did find that some buds have started to show. I will get some shots in this weeks picture update on Friday.

Plants are starting to drink more and I had to add 16 more gallons of nutes tonight. They are really starting to fill back in from my trimming.

So here are the readings I took tonight in foot candles.

Center bottom 2900 and 2500
Center middle 3100 and 2700
Center top 2000 and 2000

Screen edge bottom 2400 and 1700
Screen edge middle 3100 and 2400
Screen edge top 1400 and 1800

All readings are about 2 inches in front of the screen because that is where the plant is at. As you can see they drop off real bad at the top. This is because the readings are 2 inches above the mogul socket. I have moved the socket up, but I did not get new readings yet. Currently this set up is a 1000 watt bulb over a 600 watt.

picture.php

This is my set up for the base of my screens. As you can see I have a little bit of wasted area where the screens meet at the front corners. I will have to see if there is a way to move the screens in slightly to get my foot candle readings up to 3500.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Update time

Deathstar Week 2 flower

picture.php

Deathstar day 1 flower (plant on the right)

picture.php

OG Kush week 2 flower

picture.php

Same OG Kush day 1 flower (plant on the left)

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts