What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scrumpdilly Organico Soil Mix

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
"It's De-hee-hee-cent!"

Base
3 cu/ft peat
2 cu/ft coco coir
1 cu/ft coco croutons
1/2 cu/ft builders sand

2 cu/ft lobster compost
2 cu/ft bu's blend compost
1 cu/ft bio-char

3 cu/ft rice hulls (loose)
1.5 cu/ft growstones (large)

Amendments
8 cups alfalfa meal
6 cups azomite
9 cups crab meal
7 cups diatomaceous earth
6 cups greensand
5 cups gypsum
5 lbs humic
10 cups kelp meal
1/2 cup langbenite
8 cups lime
8 cups molasses (dry)
1 lb mykos
10 cups neem meal
8 cups oyster shell
4 cups seabird guano (granulated)
4 cups symphony (high quality composted chicken shit)

no cook time needed
makes about 15 cubic feet or 100 gallons
perfect for no till beds

just add water!

really helps to toss in some worms and mulch the top of the soil too.

*edit jan 2018 - switched to malibu compost Bu's blend... if you have access to fresh worm castings then replace the lobster compost with the malibu instead. and by fresh i mean if you get your ewc from a worm farm. (ideal) if your buying everything from the store, malibu is better than vermiblend or coast of maine, imo. but for the sake of diversity for now im replacing bagged store bought ewc with malibu and tossing some red wigglers in the beds. the malibu has live tiger stripe worms in the bag and i found dozens of cocoons as well. you could very well replace both with 4cf of malibu but i havent tried that personally. i will in the future though because i am in love with this stuff. even though its cow crap it is really good, and i already had bird crap in here anyway. using this hasnt changed the no cook time either.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
picture.php

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
so i wanted to put this here to have a reference point for my new no till soil mix im using in freedom 35, my long running thread documenting my efforts to grow enough dope to retire by the age of 35.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i want to keep a couple fluid posts at the front of this thread for photos and notes ect...

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i guess 5 should be enough. i went into this mix with no cook time and my plants seem to be doing great. hopefully this will mature into a nice showcase for my efforts

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
tangie
picture.php

green crack
picture.php

as you can see theres no fuckery from going straight into the uncooked dirt, which surprised me cause it has a decent amount of bird shit in it...

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
its 12" deep, i mix my soil in kiddie pools.
for those of you who dont know, growing in beds is a huge improvement over pots. it is the single biggest game changer ive ever implemented. i highly recommend it to everyone interested in organic soil. my beds are custom built 4x7x1' frames made from 2x4s with a geoplanter liner. the geoplanters come with a decent pvc frame that sets them on the ground, but i wanted extra support and airflow underneath.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kozmo

Veteran
Geo pots

Geo pots

I have a 6' x 1.5' geo pot bed. I hear ya as far as wanting to get the lower section air. That part takes the most abuse. I built a frame on casters for mine. Pushed a piece of roof valley down below it and used it as a drain pan(pics in my builds album).

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
lol i put my first 4x7 on 4 heavy duty 3.5" casters. it cracked the middle of one of the long 2x4s after about a month. my second 4x7 went on some 4x4 risers and is rock solid. i dunno why i thought i was maybe gonna move the first one. i cant move it anyway its like a thousand lbs. i just let my runoff evaporate off my concrete floor, i try to only have a little every now and then. but thats a good idea for a larger drip pan.

Kozmo

Veteran
You can't move the 4x7 hey...? My long bed moves. I doubt it ways 1000 lbs. but I hear ya. If I was to do a 4x7 or 8 frame I would have to put a center stiffener in. I also would put in a steel rack. Like that stuff they put in concrete. I used a white wire shelf from target or something. Keeping that bottom supported while airated goes hand in hand. As far as a drip pan I would just slope something like currogated steel for a big bed like that. It seems you got it working for you. I'm just scoping some big floor plans lately and am thinking mobile raised beds would be niiice.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
yeah man the idea of mobility was appealing, but when i get right down to it, the only reason i would ever move them is to paint the floors. and i can just slide a roller underneath them either way. when they are empty and bone dry i might be able to roll the one on wheels if i had help. i cant use my left half very well so it might have something to do with that. if you do go with bigger rolling beds do yourself a favor and put a set of casters in the middle too. an obvious choice in hindsight, i know.

also i have 2 layers of chicken wire under the first bed i made, second one has steel fence. either way, nail the top edge of the fabric into the top 2x4. every 12-18" all the way around. its necessary

Kozmo

Veteran
Nailing/Stapling the fabric in is sound advice my friend. Have not thought of that.