What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filters suck!!!

chomsky

I have three phresh 6x24 Carbon filters (2 kinda older but not out of spec and 1 brand new) scrubbing a 10x12 grow room with 4 plants. My whole fucking house reeks and it reeks around my house out to the damned sidewalk. Anyone else have this problem? Any other ideas about odor reduction?

Humidity kills them. Is that an issue?

How old are the others?

Is your room sealed or does it have significant negative pressure?

If it were me I would use all new filters and replace them every year or 2 at the most. You can DIY replace the carbon too.

Use ozone on outtake not into the dwelling.

b8man

Veteran
I've had great success with Rhino carbon filters. If the humidity is too high they don't work as well though.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like its time to replace the old ones . how old are they ?
i had pretty good luck with phresh filters , but my shop carries Can filters now , so i use them . i have a can 100 & a canlite 8 x 24 scrubbing my 10 x 10 room .

chomsky

Humidity kills them. Is that an issue?

How old are the others?

Is your room sealed or does it have significant negative pressure?

If it were me I would use all new filters and replace them every year or 2 at the most. You can DIY replace the carbon too.

Use ozone on outtake not into the dwelling.

None of the filters are over a year old. Room is mostly sealed. I do have an ac unit that kicks on at night to drop temps here towards the end of 12/12 but that's only at night. Ozone sounds like a good bet.

chomsky

My humidity has been a bit on the high side for 12/12. Sometimes around 65% but I'm using a very strong light and co2 and tons of air circulation. With VPD it's acceptable humidity. No mold at all.

FireIn.TheSky

I always buy Can filters, I use them for well over a year and a half and they still keep odor in check. Usually when I throw them out they still work just fine, I throw them out before I have problems. Never once has can let me down.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
back before anybody started making carbon filters , ozone was the only way to scrub the smell , but yes in high concentrations its no good for you or the plants . if you do use it , make sure to ventilate it out of the house !!!!

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, vent the ozone out !
I've had better results putting one at the beginning of my duct run. Gives it time to mix with the air.
And don't run ozone through a fan or a hood, they will develop a sticky brown gunk in them :yes:

O

OG Tree Grower

Just replace the carbon, don't throw out the filter. It's only a fraction of the cost of a replacement, or bake it at 400f for a few hours to reactivate the carbon. I run 70% humudity and filters are running 24/7 they get replaced every 3 grows with no smell issues ever.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
May the Schwartz be with you

May the Schwartz be with you

picture.php

picture.php

Granger2

Veteran
There's little to be saved by replacing carbon DIY unless you use cheapo carbon, which doesn't seem like a good solution. Your problem is not caused by the brand of filter. Rather than replace the carbon, take the filters outside and put a 6" fan on it blowing thru at the opposite direction for 45 min- hour. This will clear out the micro dust and leave the carbon clean, almost like new. I do this every 6 months or so. Your humidity is high. Don't breathe ozone. Put the generator at the end of the run. Good luck. -granger

O

OG Tree Grower

There's little to be saved by replacing carbon DIY unless you use cheapo carbon, which doesn't seem like a good solution. Your problem is not caused by the brand of filter. Rather than replace the carbon, take the filters outside and put a 6" fan on it blowing thru at the opposite direction for 45 min- hour. This will clear out the micro dust and leave the carbon clean, almost like new. I do this every 6 months or so. Your humidity is high. Don't breathe ozone. Put the generator at the end of the run. Good luck. -granger

I save a 300 hundred bucks every 3 grows replacing the carbon, and it takes about 15 mins.what do you mean cheapo Carbon? Lol it all works the same as long as it's the right size and it always is where I buy it
Blowing backwards through your filter will not reactivate the spent carbon. It just blows the dust out, and you should have a good pre filter on it keeping the dust out anyways

j_hold420

In my high humidity environment I can't really do a carbon filter. I use an inline ozone generator and it works great. The one I have is "big blue" or something like that. It produces a lot of ozone so you have to vent it outdoors. A few grows back I had a small slit in the duct and ozone leaked into my grow space, it almost killed my plants overnight.

Granger2

Veteran
Tree Grower,
15 mins, eh? All carbon is NOT the same. Prefilters only catch the larger dust. All I know is that my filters last and last, and there is NO smell. Blowing the dust out is what it's all about. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine. Good luck. -granger

O

OG Tree Grower

It's not about your way or my way. It's carbon and it's simple, once it absorbs enough it needs to be replaced or recharged. Your grow might not need as much replacing as mine but at some point it will need to be replaced and not just blown out. Proper way is 830c for 30 mins in a rotary oven, or 350c for a few hours in a normal oven.

Most carbon filters are very much the same, drill out 5-7 rivets, empty carbon, refill and re-rivet.