What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

7thson

I wish I knew.Some of it had no name attached to it.

There was many different kinds floating around(70's/80's);reds, browns,golds,brown red,green etc.

The gold was all gold,stem and all.Either lumbo or mexi? The Hawaiian was always the easiest to tell from the taste alone.The Thai stick was easy too but that's not hard either,it's on a stick, lol.I did smoke a lot of stickless Thai,loss Thai and Thai bud,one in the same.The strongest was the small hard as nails sticks,you could pound nails with them.One hit wonder weed,anymore and you would fall asleep.

1)Thai 2)Brown Red,I think it was primo lumbo,seedless. 3)Hawaiian

I will say that some and or a lot of weed these days has some unreal flavors,highs too.

I do miss the grass from the old days.

Last edited:

Jon 54

My favorite Cannabis from back in my day which was 1972 was Acapulco Gold. This was pure golden weed like the color of yellow with no other color mixed in with it. A quarter pound of it cost $250.00 which was a large investment to smoke all to yourself!!
Second would be pure opium, what a flavor like lilacs when you exhaled a deep hit and the dreamy high which came afterward.

Jon :peacock::plant grow::plant grow::peacock:

frostqueen

I grew up in Southern Oregon and had my first outdoor crops in '82 and '83. The SWAT teams were out in full force (CAMP) during those summers, and we would grow along the Rogue river floodplain, pulling the surrounding vegetation over our crops with big lines and stakes in the ground. I carried water from the river on my shoulders for 1/4 mile in two 5 gallon buckets, one on each end of a 6 foot pole. Good times.

We were growing a lot of interesting new indica hybrids during that time. Northern Lights and Skunks, for sure. Also some stranger types; the dominant flavors were tart green apples/fruit and roadkill skunk, and the potency was really high. I recall big fat-bladed leaves and beautiful purples, and the shape of the flowers of those was usually golf balls on a stick. In the end we harvested some super stinky buds that we tried (and repeatedly failed) to hide from our parents.

On the market at that time we were also in total heaven. We were getting this amazing Golden Thai right on the stick. Panama Red passed through town occasionally. Incredible Columbian Gold that tasted a bit like peanut butter and a hint of spice. These all had seeds galore, but the highs were truly strong and also truly exceptional, taking a few minutes to kick in but then lasting for as much as 6 hours. 'Creeper'.

Of course we've all been hunting for that elusive roadkill skunk ever since, and the tart green apple golfball indicas are hard to find. I've just made the move on some Tom Hill X18 in the hope of tapping back into that trait; Tom was apparently about 100 miles south of us and probably worked with some of the same early landrace afghani and paki stock...

I sure as hell hope so! The descriptions that I've read sure sound a lot like it. There was prolly some Northern Lights bred into those, too. We used to get NL#9, which I remember as being mostly sativa... I might be wrong, tho.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My favorite Cannabis from back in my day which was 1972 was Acapulco Gold. This was pure golden weed like the color of yellow with no other color mixed in with it. A quarter pound of it cost $250.00 which was a large investment to smoke all to yourself!!
Second would be pure opium, what a flavor like lilacs when you exhaled a deep hit and the dreamy high which came afterward.

Jon :peacock::plant grow::plant grow::peacock:

So what was the high off the Acapulco Gold like? Anything like being on shrooms? I have some Bodhi AG seeds as well two 1973 Guerrero crosses. Guerrero is the state Acapulco is in. No pot was grown in Acapulco as it is on the beach, all up in the mountains of Guerrero.

$250 in 72 is like a $1000 today. Plus you got seeds, stems and shake. So like $300 an ounce or more. Might have been Colombian Gold too eh? Got a pack of CG 72 seeds waiting to pop. CG from 1979 was nothing special and yes it was legit.

Highest I ever got was most likely Michoacan brown 1975. For 20 minutes I was on another planet with aliens that used to be stoners. They were rolling joints of it and throwing the seeds and stems on the ground, never thought to ask for seeds. Never saw them or that weed again.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
What strains do I miss or were my favorite from back in the 60s 70s and 80s? None of that shit. Probably when yer brain was younger that crap seemed more potent than it was. Even the stuff I deem not a keeper in my garden today is 10 times better than that old shit. Old people and their nostalgia for past things and times:biggrin:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Early on...whatever we could afford, a 3-4 finger lid. Smoke was harsh (leaves mainly), but hey, we scored!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea, it was a big deal to get any pot early on. 5 finger lids were something to be bragged about. Mine were more like 3 hehe.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What strains do I miss or were my favorite from back in the 60s 70s and 80s? None of that shit. Probably when yer brain was younger that crap seemed more potent than it was. Even the stuff I deem not a keeper in my garden today is 10 times better than that old shit. Old people and their nostalgia for past things and times:biggrin:

Lotta truth in what you say but I was not a geezer at 20 or was I? I got progressively stronger stuff as the seventies ended and onward. I never got those trippy effects from the seedless California buds and even Colombian Gold in 79. I got some Hawaiian in 85 that had me seeing shimmering effects from solid objects. I was not a kid then fully adult at 28. Made me too nervous so let go of that bag.

That trippy effect came from shwaggy looking Mexican, not all or most just a few. Not the most thc but profound effects to be found there anyways.

I am headed back down south in my seed selection to see if I can capture any of that early magic. The Jarilla I grew recently already got me some of that early tripped out feel.

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Classic weed is the same as classic cars. My son has a supped up Skyline and it is faster than anything I've ever owned. It's like a crotch rocket with four tires. But the novelty wears off quickly and I want out. When younger I had (69 GTO, 66&67 Olds 442, 79 Trans Am , 71 Mustang Grande and a 61 Jet Star). The kids road trip to Colorado hit up the dispensaries. We bought some blah blah blah. The T shirts were much better than the weed dad. My favorite weeds were and still are (Oaxacan, Panama, Columbian and the Asian Sativas). Thanks to Ace and Canna Bio Gen. I can still have these genetics and grow my own. Long live the Muscle Cars ! Peace

frostqueen

"I didn't have any good weed back then, therefore nobody did."

Sounds like you missed out on some really great varietals, friend.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Classic weed is the same as classic cars. My son has a supped up Skyline and it is faster than anything I've ever owned. It's like a crotch rocket with four tires. But the novelty wears off quickly and I want out. When younger I had (69 GTO, 66&67 Olds 442, 79 Trans Am , 71 Mustang Grande and a 61 Jet Star). The kids road trip to Colorado hit up the dispensaries. We bought some blah blah blah. The T shirts were much better than the weed dad. My favorite weeds were and still are (Oaxacan, Panama, Columbian and the Asian Sativas). Thanks to Ace and Canna Bio Gen. I can still have these genetics and grow my own. Long live the Muscle Cars ! Peace

Nice try, comparing what Ace and CBG are making and modern methods of growing to what was happening 50-60 years ago on the streets of the US. The peasants from central and south America flooded the US with compressed and heavily seeded Columbian, sometimes moldy, Panama Red, Michoacán, Jamaican and whatever. You were lucky to score a bag that was under 50% seed. Most people didn't even bother to remove the seed from joints and pipe bowls. When a seed cooked off and shot out a 3 foot jet of smoke people would run over and stick their head in it. Made sense because if the dope was weak the lack of oxygen gave you a good buzz. The genetics may have been good but every thing the growers and smugglers did after that was fucked. I want a bag of that stuff as much as I want some Classic 60 year old pussy. :biggrin:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice try, comparing what Ace and CBG are making and modern methods of growing to what was happening 50-60 years ago on the streets of the US. The peasants from central and south America flooded the US with compressed and heavily seeded Columbian, sometimes moldy, Panama Red, Michoacán, Jamaican and whatever. You were lucky to score a bag that was under 50% seed. Most people didn't even bother to remove the seed from joints and pipe bowls. When a seed cooked off and shot out a 3 foot jet of smoke people would run over and stick their head in it. Made sense because if the dope was weak the lack of oxygen gave you a good buzz. The genetics may have been good but every thing the growers and smugglers did after that was fucked. I want a bag of that stuff as much as I want some Classic 60 year old pussy. :biggrin:

You made me laugh with the pussy joke, or sadly really truth.:laughing:

The rest is truth too, I was there. However..... for me anyways and quite a few others, there were a few or maybe just one strain that worked for us in a way that no modern hybrid can.

Dog Star

Veteran
Destroyer have some interesting high,

was grow those crazy thai pheno that grows in strings and that was some amazing
weed compared to strong polyhybrid weed i use usually...

same compared with a size of a buds on this Destroyer

picture.php

picture.php

Mango woody incense and high with duration of 3+ hours,but very pleasant
for head,best weed for sunny days walks and socializing with other people,good vibes
weed.

Dog Star

Veteran
picture.php

This pheno flowers for atleast 16 weeks,maybe even more... but i smoked her at
10 weeks and it was 3+ hours stone... i think if i left her full time that will
be a weed that keep you stoned atleast 5+ hours..

will look again in this line,Destroyer is worthy if you look for old school weed effects.

Betterhaff

Veteran
^^Those look nice.

Back in the 70’s most of what we got were imports and the majority was Mex brick. But there were the Colombos, Thai, Hawaiian, and even some better Mexican. Hawaiian was the most expensive.

Somebody said it earlier, what was done with the crop after harvest most of time was a shame but some good stuff came thru in good shape.

I don’t know, I have yet to find any of the varieties of today that compare to the better stuff from back then, maybe because of their hybrid nature, but I believe it’s the genetics of the older strains and the places they were grown that made them shine.

frostqueen

View Image

This pheno flowers for atleast 16 weeks,maybe even more... but i smoked her at
10 weeks and it was 3+ hours stone... i think if i left her full time that will
be a weed that keep you stoned atleast 5+ hours..

will look again in this line,Destroyer is worthy if you look for old school weed effects.

Wow, nice pheno of the Destroyer! This one is very heavily Thai influenced judging by the structure, taste and finishing time. From what I've seen so far with other people, your pheno seems more of an exception rather than the rule; most finish a lot faster and have a more conventional and hybridized structure.

I need to run some Destroyer.

EastFortRock

I grew up in Southern Oregon and had my first outdoor crops in '82 and '83. The SWAT teams were out in full force (CAMP) during those summers, and we would grow along the Rogue river floodplain, pulling the surrounding vegetation over our crops with big lines and stakes in the ground.
What part of the Rogue was this? Now it's all in the back yards , all over the place.

Latest posts

Latest posts