Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101

Thread Title Search
Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101 Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM #21
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant future
Great thread Neo...i can definitely see the benefits of IPM...

love using neem oil but will look at expanding the various organic compounds to help maintain a balanced organic growing system...as you know i have RA in my ROLS and will work on your suggestions to develop an environment that keeps the RA at bay...

been looking at sourcing neem and crab meal for my system but can't find any suppliers downunder at all.

If you are not paranoid...then you are not paying attention...

cannabis is not a crime...

It makes me smile...I really have to do this more often...
ozzieAI is offline Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM #22
MrSterling

I want to add that if people want to incorporate beneficial bugs like ladybugs or praying mantises into their IPM consider where you're buying before you do. Most mantis and ladybug sales online are taken from the wild. It's unsustainable and chances are they will a) die in the light indoors or b) fly away the minute you open the box outdoors. Better to plant other things outdoors that will attract beneficial bugs than to buy them online.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 PM #23
Neo 420

Neo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieAI View Post
been looking at sourcing neem and crab meal for my system but can't find any suppliers downunder at all.
Are you still trying to source? I will look through my notes and provide some info on obtaining those items. Good luck on the RA fight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSterling View Post
I want to add that if people want to incorporate beneficial bugs like ladybugs or praying mantises into their IPM consider where you're buying before you do. Most mantis and ladybug sales online are taken from the wild. It's unsustainable and chances are they will a) die in the light indoors or b) fly away the minute you open the box outdoors. Better to plant other things outdoors that will attract beneficial bugs than to buy them online.
Absolutely!! I wanted to add a section on beneficial insects (they are also apart of a effective IPM strategy) but I thought that might have been too much info. I may make a separate 101 for that in the future.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM #24
Greenheart

Greenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the rough
Clove (eugenol) oil "has also been found to possess antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antitumor, antioxidant and insecticidal properties"

https://www.marinwater.org/documents/...l_1_1_2010.pdf

Also note that it is an herbicide in high concentration.

Garlic. It is a potent larvacidal as well as good for black spot, powdery mildew, and downey mildew according to research. A couple more pdfs on that subject. I found the "coconut_report" a difficult read but the topsection (included below) is powerful knowledge. Also I liked the azadirachtin comparison in their study. I make the guess that the "GB+" referenced in the studies are for their specific "GarlicBarrier" product. I have never used it and know nothing more than their site will tell you about it.
https://www.garlicbarrier.com/documen...pesticides.pdf
https://www.garlicbarrier.com/documen...nut_Report.pdf

"Intact garlic cloves contains about 0.2-0.3% allilin, most of which is converted toallicin when garlic is crushed. When garlic is homogenized in water, the major chemical component is allicin. A methanol or ethanol extract of crushed cloves or powder removes all the allicin. If the solvent is evaporated and solute emulsified in water, the result can be a more potent insecticide, fungicide and bactericide than obtained with water only. The insecticidal and fungicidal properties are partly due to enzyme inhibition. Isolation and characterization of larvicidal principle of garlic, A. sativum have been identified as Diallyl di-sulphide and Diallyl tri-sulphide (Narayanan, 1954). Both natural and synthetic samples of these compounds are fatal at 5 parts per million"

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 AM #25
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant future
Quote:
Are you still trying to source? I will look through my notes and provide some info on obtaining those items. Good luck on the RA fight!!
thanks Neo...actually i have just found a source that i will follow up this week..

RA have been dealt with with the Neem oil....cheers

If you are not paranoid...then you are not paying attention...

cannabis is not a crime...

It makes me smile...I really have to do this more often...
ozzieAI is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM #26
Old_Headbanger

Great thread! I would love to hear about different ways to attract beneficial insects. Valuable resource right here just in these two pages.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM #27
RanchoDeluxe
Banned

RanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the rough
Having trouble posting up a pic. Google 'insect hotels'. I learned about them in my county extension gardening class. Hopefully I'll get around to building one in the next week or two.
RanchoDeluxe is offline Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM #28
Neo 420

Neo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really nice
Hands down the H miles mite is a beast... Been scoping them in my soil.. Caught them eating something. Some worm like insect. And the great thing is I assume they came naturally...

Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM #29
Neo 420

The neem/si/aloe may also help repel ants. I sprayed some ornamentals that ants have been steadily visiting and within the hour not a single ant. Will update to see if this was a anomaly or a result of the spray.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 AM #30
ziggestardust

ziggestardust will become famous soon enoughziggestardust will become famous soon enough
I'd recommend the ginger-garlic extract over at https://gilcarandang.com. I spray soil surface and foliar feed fermented basil which the critters hate.