Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101

Thread Title Search
Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101 Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 10:45 PM #11
Neo 420

Neo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really nice
Foilar Spray Strategy

Now that you know how to create the mix, you need to devise a plan on when to spray and what to spray. I generally foilar twice a week but you can adapt to your schedule and needs.
However I highly recommend to spray at least 1 time per week as the neem and silicon will create a "barrier" of protection on the leaves and stalks that powder mildew and pathogens cannot survive on.

Young & Preventive Foilar Chart

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur Base Mix Only/Rosemary (Diversity Can Be Key!)
Fri
Sat
Sun Base Mix Only
Every Week Till Flowering Cycle

Fungus Gnat Sighting Foilar Chart

Mon
Tue Base Mix + Thyme
Wed
Thur Base Mix + Rosemary
Fri
Sat
Sun Base Mix Only +
2 Or 3 Weeks Then Back To Preventative Foilar Chart

Mite Sighting Chart

Mon Base Mix + Rosemary
Tue
Wed Base Mix + Lavender
Thur
Fri Base Mix + Rosemary
Sat
Sun
3 Weeks To Break Cycle Then Back Preventative Foilar Chart

Adapt the chart to your liking and when they are sightings, identify your insect/diseases and adjust accordingly. Knowing your invading insects and its life-cycle will assist in customizing your chart to break its cycle of life.

Side Note
Always use this spray towards the night cycle or when lights are off. The majority of the compounds will degrade when expose to lights and the neem can burn the fragile leaves under the brights lights.

Do not worry about the plants being wet during lights off. I switch off air circulation during these foilars and switch back to on before lights cycle start to allow a more efficient "soak" of the elements.

When spraying make sure to cover every part of the plant including undersides of leaves and stalks until the plants appear to be drooping.

Some plants can not tolerate the mix as much as others and will have to be toned down with the ingredients. I generally make the mix weaker for new plants and clones but will increase as the plants gains age.

Do not use past the 1st or 2nd week of flower or you risk bruising the pistils and contaminating your buds. If you have used at least 1 times per week for the plants life cycle you should have boosted the immunity and have enough protection to last you till harvest.

I have tried personally a mixture of all the material listed in this thread on various plants and have had great success in maintaining a pest/disease free canna garden. I wrote this thread from experience, application and research. I am also experimenting with this method on the outdoor veggies this year.

Credits
A majority of the recipes and techniques was handed down from the ROLS guru Cootz in the dialogue from the Living organic soil from start through recycling thread. He would lay out bit and pieces of information that I would capture, research and it always panned out. Some of the links I provided are results of that research.
Would also like to give credit to all the ICMAG member that encourage and strive for quality dialogue.

If you got recipes that are organically sound, post em!!

Last edited by Neo 420; 03-26-2013 at 03:54 AM..
Neo 420 is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 PM #12
Greenheart

Greenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the rough
Mint is a pest repellant as well as a good companion plant. It grows fast and attracts beneficial insects such as predator wasps.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM #13
W89

W89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the roughW89 is a jewel in the rough
Great thread mate, awesome info!

I have been using a Neem/kelp foliar to keep up the pest control, Ive not had bad bugs so far, I do a kelp and neem tea at 1 tsp of each per liter this gets watered in and sprayed on the plants, I do this once every week to 10 days.. when buds appear I just spray the under side of the plants

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM #14
Neo 420

Neo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really niceNeo 420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by al-k-mist View Post
Awesome post, Neo420 ...too bad about the 'must spread rep' thing, AND the 'no more voting on threads today' thing. . Damn

It definitely pays to prevent a problem(proactive), as you said, rather than to react to the problem(reactive)...by then its late...sometimes too late.
Definitely! I found that out the hard way. Thanks for tried rep!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cann View Post
A few posts from old cootz...

Pesticide Sprays

Preventative Spray...1-2x per week

This is all that I have copied in my notes, but I know there is more. Post more sprays if you got em folks!
Excellent!! Post more if you get them. This could be a nice repository of recipes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420MAN78 View Post
Cann thanks for posting those up from Cootz. I am new here but i have been reading tons of threads mostly the organic ones and i see that he is highly respected and has tons of knowledge he shares.
Word!! We call him the Professor Cootz around these parts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invocation View Post
Neo420, got my Hypoaspis miles on the way. Seems like a winner to me!
Every garden should have those as guests!! Good luck and keep me posted on the progress. They only eat the bad guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheart View Post
Mint is a pest repellant as well as a good companion plant. It grows fast and attracts beneficial insects such as predator wasps.
That is the type of information we need to spread amongst our selves and use with this system! Thanks!!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 AM #15
Neo 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by W89 View Post
Great thread mate, awesome info!
Thanks W89!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W89 View Post
when buds appear I just spray the under side of the plants
Nice move.. This is a tactic I might have to edit in....

Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 PM #16
Greenheart

Greenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the roughGreenheart is a jewel in the rough
Neo 420

While IC was down I came across this little pdf on neem.

Insect growth regulator effects of azadirachtin and neem oil on survivorship, development and fecundity of Aphis glycines (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and its predator, Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) https://labs.russell.wisc.edu/cullenl...ullen_2008.pdf

The "predator" in the study Coccinellida are known to most of us as ladybeetles or ladybugs.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 AM #17
Neo 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheart View Post
Neo 420

While IC was down I came across this little pdf on neem.

Insect growth regulator effects of azadirachtin and neem oil on survivorship, development and fecundity of Aphis glycines (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and its predator, Harmonia axyridis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) https://labs.russell.wisc.edu/cullenl...ullen_2008.pdf

The "predator" in the study Coccinellida are known to most of us as ladybeetles or ladybugs.

Good find!! While I reading the PDF I found this quite interesting..

"Azadirachtin increasedH. axyridisdevelopment time to adult whenapplied toboth instars, while neem oil only increased time to adult when applied to first instar."

It increased development time for ladybugs also..So ladybugs are somewhat effected by neem...

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 AM #18
Greenheart

Foliar applications seem to only influence 1rst and 3rd instars. Azadirachtin had much more significant impacts than neem oil when it came to mortality rates of the 1rst and 3rd instars of the ladybeetle lifecycle (figuires 4 and 5). Neem caused a greater increase in mortality than azadirachtin when it came to the soybean aphids in the target study shown in figure 3 though marginal at what by my guess is about 5%. What the study seemed to suggest is that it will influence two stages of ladybeetle development as well as slow reproduction.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM #19
Neo 420

Most of the non academic write ups on neem mistakenly state that neem does no damage to ladybugs. Well.. It is the internet!!

I remember reading somewhere that neem foilared at above "normal" rates would cause new bee's from only small hives not to be able to exit he cells... Did not affect medium or large hives....

Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM #20
RanchoDeluxe
Banned

RanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the roughRanchoDeluxe is a jewel in the rough
Great thread Neo. Seems like we are kicking things up around here as far as scientific info is concerned. Also seems like the info is more accessible to the newer folks.

All this w/ out unnecessary fighting/bantering.

Be careful using ladybugs indoors. If you use them inside do not release them by the 1000's. They commit suicide by light (can't be good for the bulb), and they will get inside an air-cooled system as well.(No idea how) Anyway, I've had enough of them die and then fall on top of the bulb that it caught on FIRE...luckily I was in the room and simply pulled the plug.
RanchoDeluxe is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.