What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic source of silica?

Wooderson

Pyrophyllite clay is mostly silica and approximately 50% of that is amorphic and that's the form you want from a natural source like this. Get the granular as it's slow release and a lot less expensive than the powder. This clay contains other goodies such as Rare Earth Elements. 50 lbs for $25. Buy from the source!

http://www.vitalityherbsandclay.com/silica-rich-pyro-clay-soil-amendment/view-all-products.html

How much per gallon of mix would you add of this?

Y

Yankee Grower

Diatomaceous Earth is also really cheap, is a source of silica, and is a good thing for pest control too.
Just wear a mask when using DE as it's not good to breathe in...like sucking in microscopic razor blades.

Y

Yankee Grower

keep us up dated, thanks a million bro
I think it will be available later this year in the retail market. Pretty neat stuff. Has some unique characteristics. Tests out really good...waaaay up there in humic acid content...the best the lab has seen to date heh heh. Just not really available in small bottles yet. Smallest size right now is like 5 gallons which would last a hobby grower forever. Works many times, not %, better than typical humic acid extracts. I got a gallon to play around with. Think it will even work in some hydro setups! For sure not DWC but probably anything with a medium. Gonna spread some around to hydro friends and have them wring it out. It's already field tested and proven...just not canna tested lol but will work. It's not like BioAg's Full Power, with it's focus on fulvic acid, as that product is in a class by itself but think this new stuff might be better in some applications. The 2 products are different. Time will tell.

T

treefrog

Azomite has silica, as well as all the other minerals. It's also cheap and can be bought from people/places not associated with cannabis growing. There have been many studies..
"Scientists theorized that the silica in AZOMITE® may be available; whereas, the silica in most products is bound."

sunyata23

Field/Common Horsetail(Equisetum arvense) is a rich source of silica, and is used for this by biodynamic farmers, among others. Dry it and boil 100g/ltr and use 5ml/l in soil or as foliar spray.

Y

Yankee Grower

"Scientists theorized that the silica in AZOMITE® may be available; whereas, the silica in most products is bound."
My understanding is, with mineral type deposits and not plant sources, is you have amorphic and crystalline silica. It's the amorphic form that's plant friendly not the crystalline. Probably over time the crystalline form may get broken down and made available through microbial activity but amorphic is much more readily available.

Lots of great plant sources for silica. As Sunyata said horsetail is a great one. Have also heard rice hulls are a good source.

You can always buy something like a man-made product such as potassium silicate. Seems like it's man-made. Have not looked in potassium silicate except for the last 5 minutes or so and don't know if 'natural' forms exist. Lot's of potassium silicate used in agriculture.
How Made:
Potassium silicates are manufactured using a calcination process that combines silica sand (SiO2) and potassium carbonate (K2CO3) at 1100-2300°F for up to 15 minutes (NOP Petition; Rawlyk and McDonald 2001). The two substances fuse into glass, which can be dissolved with high-pressure steam to form a clear, slightly viscous fluid, or cooled and ground into a powder. Carbon dioxide is evolved from this reaction. The solution can be dried to form hydrous powder crystals of potassium silicate.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
YG

New Jersey Greensand is an iron potassium silicate which is not generally processed though there are prilled Greensand products available.

HTH

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
YG

New Jersey Greensand is an iron potassium silicate which is not generally processed though there are prilled Greensand products available.

HTH

CC
I didn't know that. You're a walking horticultural encyclopedia CC.

I always knew it was a good source of potassium,and that it is acidic.

Cool,maybe I'll re-implement greensand into the mix sometime.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Cool,maybe I'll re-implement greensand into the mix sometime.
CC1

I'd strongly recommend that you purchase the mineral mix from either place in PDX.

20% each Azomite, soft rock phosphate, Canadian glacial rock dust, New Jersey Green Sand and limestone. AND it's prilled so the dust factor is almost eliminated.

Add about 1-1.5 cups per 1 c.f. of soil. It runs about $22.00 for 50 lbs.

Good value and it has a wide variety of mineral agents.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
CC1

I'd strongly recommend that you purchase the mineral mix from either place in PDX.

20% each Azomite, soft rock phosphate, Canadian glacial rock dust, New Jersey Green Sand and limestone. AND it's prilled so the dust factor is almost eliminated.

CC

I like the looks of it.....May have to give it a run.

T

treefrog

Horsetail.... good to know, thanks guys. That stuff grows all over the place.
Any time I can get the stuff I need from nature, without spending the coin, I get quite...geeked, and it's not just because I'm cheap!

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Isn't silocone like plastic or something why would you put it om plants? the stuff i m used to smells like viniger. how is the plant stuff different from that?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CC1

CC

since you posted your mix in my thread CC, I've been interested in trying your method - just need the azomite and the glacier dust

incidentally, the soil here is glacial till since i incorporate the soil in my compost, i tend to think i already introduce this sort of amendment

at whatever rate, our approaches are very similar

I like the looks of it.....May have to give it a run.

oh! beat me to it i guess - lol

Gascanastan, silica is a mineral used in makinig plastic and glass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide

Has anyone thought about Diatomaceous Earth? it's mostly silica.

DE (concern) is my current approach to silica introduction (along w/ greensand)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
xmobotx

These folks might have some good input for you on your research about minerals in agriculture and hoticulture applications.................

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
xmobotx said:
"incidentally, the soil here is glacial till since i incorporate the soil in my compost, i tend to think i already introduce this sort of amendment"

I feel the same way about my local topsoil. It's a glacial washout/sandy loam/forest humis type thing. Volcanic in origin and no doubt has a lot of trace elements/minerals most people would have to implement with indoor mixes.

EDIT: Yet that mineral mix does look great!

mullray

Ok, found it...

botanicare: "2% Silicates Derived From Sodium silicate and potassium silicate"

dyna-gro: "provides supplemental potassium (3.7%) and silicon (7.8%) "

This assumes the numbers on the bottle are accurate. I've heard/read that most manufactures fudge numbers to protect the formulas, but I think it's safe to say dyna-gro is the better buy.

They are all basically potassium silicate. That's the way it comes and its sometimes a case of how they dilute it (add water).