What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

i need help quick!!

illdank

my lifesaver seedlings havent been looking so great theyve been chewed up by tiny clear worms,they ate the roots and the stem and leaves,what do i do?i still have bout 4 good lifesaver,but the others might be contaminated,is there a product i can buy near me?

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I agree, unfortunately. You haven't invested that much time and effort so far. It's a good time to cut your losses and start again.
But if they're all you have, I can understand why you might want to save em...
I'd try neem oil... It's works good on pesky criters like that, and keeps em from coming back most times ;) 100% organic and non-toxic too :D

cc

G

Yup, I was gonna suggest neem oil...
or maybe some soapy water with some Red Pepper in it...

greenhit

Not is only messed up It's totally gross.
Glad I just had dinner a bit ago. :)

I havn't had the worms, but i did leave my soil mix bag
open one time outdoors, and when i tried using it within
a 12 hr period, it was infested with like these little gnats.
Had to throw the whole bag away. Don't know what happened
or if it came like that ?. Now i close my bags if still in use.

-g

DrJay2001

now at peace
We've had a real problem with what we think are fungas gnats. You can see them flying in the adult stage but they do their damage as hatching larvae in the soil.

We've got them under control with BT added to the ferts (BT is a natural bacillus that eats gnat larvae), pyrethrum sprayed on top of the soil and blue stickies (face down) to pick out the few survivors.

I think the gnats came from the bits of Supersoil we used. It's really maddening. Still, we have it under control and the girls are VERY healthy. They get fish food in veg and Tiger Bloom in flower.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
DrJay2001 said:
We've had a real problem with what we think are fungas gnats. You can see them flying in the adult stage but they do their damage as hatching larvae in the soil.

We've got them under control with BT added to the ferts (BT is a natural bacillus that eats gnat larvae), pyrethrum sprayed on top of the soil and blue stickies (face down) to pick out the few survivors.

I think the gnats came from the bits of Supersoil we used. It's really maddening. Still, we have it under control and the girls are VERY healthy. They get fish food in veg and Tiger Bloom in flower.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

Awwww crap, I've been seeing little nats in my grow box lately, looks like I've got some work to do.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We've had fungus gnats. Neem oil makes them entirely extinct within a week or so of the neem treatment.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Re: i need help quick!!

illdank said:
my lifesaver seedlings havent been looking so great theyve been chewed up by tiny clear worms,they ate the roots and the stem and leaves,what do i do?i still have bout 4 good lifesaver,but the others might be contaminated,is there a product i can buy near me?

Don't laugh but you might try using some ladybugs. Those things will eat the worms like they were candy and they're 100% organic. Get about 50-75 of them and turn them loose, they'll stick around as long as there's a food source. The best part is they don't like weed so they won't hurt the plants. The bad part is once they're done feeding, they're going to take off and indoors that might be a problem.:cool: Good luck.

twin48dcoe

scrub up and keep as sterile as is poossible an enviroment ...thing u got are hard to eliminate u must throw away as much as poosible ,and any that are saved quarantine them ,,,..and check new grow medium is of a good relible quality

chemicals might work but the shock recovery period outways the option of starting a new grow area ...humidity and temp play an important part in the breeding/ growth of small living bugs

so if you can lower the temp to beloc 20 c might not be as quick a grow but at least your area should stay out of bugs ideal .

ps dont let any water pool or lay stagnent ,,and that means trays and tanks ,,if so agitate with a cheap pump..

do not leave old leaves in area as decay will promote single cell bugs ,,,an-aerobic (combost)

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
I just got done watering and a lot of em just started flying around when I was watering. My girls only have like 3 weeks to go and I haven't seen any visible damage yet, if I leave them alone and just throw away all the dirt after harvest, what could they possibly do in the time between to hurt my girls?

illdank

cleaned whole room really good,no more bugs,got rid of everything,and got a good soil,cant remember what tho,but its very good!6 more days on my sweetcindy99's.got 30+ clones.2 lifesavers growing strong,and 8 sprouts tryin to survive.hopefully harvest half a pound with my 3rd crop with 400 hps.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
fungus gnats are horrible ... they like dry soil to lay in.... they can be controlled a bit with hanging flying insect strips too.. hang some of those around and watch em pile up... ick... i heard hydrogen peroxide applied in watering can kill or fuck them up in the soil...

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
So far I haven't encountered any pests in my grow, but I think I will take a lesson from this and clean up the spilled dirt and what not that I've left laying around from when I started the seedlings and before they went into the hydro setup.

Last edited:

DrJay2001

now at peace
Good advice! We got our predator Nematodes yesterday but the pack was supposed to be cold and wasn't so I hope the little critters are still alive. We also have a ton of ladybugs. It's time to turn them loose!

Yours,
Dr. Jay