What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long do you hold your hit?

Koondense

Veteran
When i started smoking it was like many say 'hold it till you can' which was nonsense to me. The tar deposits when you hold it inside so over time i found there's no need to hold it for more than a couple of seconds. Also when you hold it for long, you get higher co2 levels in your blood which has a very bad long term effect on the brain. Might feel like a more intense high but that's just your brain cells dying, i guess nobody wants that.

So inhale and exhale, no more holding now. The weed is strong enough :)

Cheers

Brother Nature

Well, here we go...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2554344

Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989 Jun;33(2):481-4.
Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke.

Zacny JP1, Chait LD.
Author information

Abstract

Marijuana smokers are frequently observed to hold the smoke in their lungs for prolonged periods (10-15 sec) apparently in the belief that prolonged breathholding intensifies the effects of the drug. The actual influence of breathhold duration on response to marijuana smoke has not been studied. The present study examined the effects of systematic manipulation of breathhold duration on the physiological, cognitive and subjective response to marijuana smoke in a group of eight regular marijuana smokers. Subjects were exposed to each of three breathhold duration conditions (0, 10 and 20 sec) on three occasions, scheduled according to a randomized block design. A controlled smoking procedure was used in which the number of puffs, puff volume and postpuff inhalation volume were held constant. Expired air carbon monoxide levels were measured before and after smoking to monitor smoke intake. Typical marijuana effects (increased heart rate, increased ratings of "high" and impaired memory performance) were observed under each of the breathhold conditions, but there was little evidence that response to marijuana was a function of breathhold duration.

PMID:2554344
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

mayorofthdesert

it ain't bullshit at all & you can test yourself. your lungs/blood absorbs the good stuff almost instantly so i only hold it 3-5 seconds or so. i tried this a few times, have your s.o. blow second hand smoke that you inhale, i guarantee you won't get high. i knew a couple who were heroin smokers, he only ever gave her 2nd hand smoke, kept her tolerance down, she'd still get get high & got sick when they ran dry, different animal. that's what gave me an idea to try it with mj. i do believe how deeply you inhale does make a difference though

Satyros

Not that long, pull it in deeply, but circulate it and roll it around. More of an interplay than a gasp. So its not packing or pressing against the lung surfaces but moving. French inhales sometimes. Each toke is like its own little dance move concerning the air flow process. If I just wanted to suffocate, I'll take whippets.

St. Phatty

Been a long time since I've been in a formal math environment.

I forget the name of this curve shape.

Absorption rate slows down a lot with time.

Total absorption is area under the curve.

Sort of saying, "you're both right".

attachment.php

Attachments

• absorption.jpg
    absorption.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 19

CaptainDankness

If I'm actually paying attention to how long I usually go 10 seconds, but usually I just hold it in probably 5 seconds all depends on the hit too sometimes I take a huge rip and cough before I clear the bong.

Dabs forget about it I can't hold them in very long.

Cvh

Supermod
I fill my bowl with as much as I know I can draw in one go.
I light it, keep pulling until it's all ash. Lift up the bowl and clear the bong. And then slowly exhale. I'm then good for an hour or two.
I think it's +5 seconds or so in total that I keep the smoke in.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
When I was a kid we played a game. Had to take a huge hit and hold it. The game was...."No smoke or another Toke".

I simply can't hold hits that long. These old lungs simply won't take it. Any more I take light one hits and enjoy the taste....before it was just how wasted I could make myself....

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
In my experience, when you pull the joint, pipe, or bong away from your mouth before you've filled your lungs, and then keep inhaling fresh air until you reach capacity, you don't have to hold it in. You can just start exhaling. As long as you get that smoke or vapor way down in there, it's being absorbed.

You'll even see less smoke or vapor being exhaled.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I hit a bong til my lungs are pressurized and squeeze it a bit.

It helps me to be sure my capillaries are occupied.

All in all I go for the quick release and never hold a dab.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Guess I am old school. I don't do dabs, I have but stick mostly to flowers. Hash and Kief burn my throat. I have turned into a pussy.

In the evening I sip a little vodka and smoke a one hitter. I get myself a nice glowing buzz every night.

Gry

When I was a kid we played a game. Had to take a huge hit and hold it. The game was...."No smoke or another Toke".

I simply can't hold hits that long. These old lungs simply won't take it. Any more I take light one hits and enjoy the taste....before it was just how wasted I could make myself....

Had a pal say to me in the early 70's that big hits made no sense at all,
as one goes through cannabis too quickly and never gets to enjoy it much with all the coughing, gasping and choking.
His idea was that smaller hits were a more comfortable experience allowing one an opportunity to experience the taste and flavor of the cannabis more fully. Made sense then, still does now.
With you on the dab rigs, look a little complex to me.

I stay happy with one of the new sillcone bongs that don't mind if I drop it.