What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ISO Oil questions

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have been making iso oil for a while now for use in canna caps. the reason for iso is availability and price...ethanol is just too expensive and hard to find

i would like to know what THC % can be expected? i can't find any concrete figures but hear 60 - 80% is average...

i generally don't decarb, i allow the process of double boiler evaporation to generate enough heat (54 - 62 C) for about 3 - 5 hours depending on how much i am processing...the end oil is active...

when i do decarb (120 C x 45 mins) i lose out on return going from 16 - 18% to 10 - 12%...and i don't find the oil any stronger...am i doing something wrong?

i am trying to get some dosage consistency in the caps i make... the final mix includes coconut oil and lecithin

thanks...

The loss of weight following decarb could be due to a more complete evaporation of the iso? The fact it doesn't seem any stronger could be that 120C x 45min may be degrading some of the THC. See the graph below..

picture.php

Maybe you should try a shorter decarb of say 20-25min, as you may have already partly completed it prior to the decarb step.

Cheers.

troutman

Seed Whore
According to that graph if you went for 45 minutes at the temp you mentioned you would lose some goodies.

From the looks of things, 145°C for 7 minutes is the best protocol. :tiphat:

ozzieAI

Veteran
i hear ya on temp/times but there but there is also plenty of other recommendations i have come across...and none take into account the heat/time the iso process also includes...that must account for something otherwise my non decarbed material wouldn't get me stoned...

i have tried both long and short times without a noticeable difference

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have been making iso oil for a while now for use in canna caps. the reason for iso is availability and price...ethanol is just too expensive and hard to find

i would like to know what THC % can be expected? i can't find any concrete figures but hear 60 - 80% is average...

i generally don't decarb, i allow the process of double boiler evaporation to generate enough heat (54 - 62 C) for about 3 - 5 hours depending on how much i am processing...the end oil is active...

62C/144F is hot enough to start the decarboxylation process, as well as the breakdown of THC onto other degradation bi products such as CBN. 3/5 hours at that temperature is a long time. Can you process using natural evaporation, under vacuum, or in smaller batches to keep the time down?

when i do decarb (120 C x 45 mins) i lose out on return going from 16 - 18% to 10 - 12%...and i don't find the oil any stronger...am i doing something wrong?

i am trying to get some dosage consistency in the caps i make... the final mix includes coconut oil and lecithin

thanks...

In blue above.

120C/248F for 45 minutes is longer than is required to reach maximum THC content. Suggest watching the bubbles and stopping your process at about 70% decarboxylation, or when the rapid bubble production suddenly slacks off.

Last edited:

ozzieAI

Veteran
62C/144F is hot enough to start the decarboxylation process, as well as the breakdown of THC onto other degradation bi products such as CBN. 5.5 hours at that temperature is a long time. Can you process using natural evaporation, under vacuum, or in smaller batches to keep the time down?

thank you very much for your contribution GW...

so i can get away with not decarbing if i use correct temp/time in the evap process?

if i use low temp evap and then purge in an oven at 120 C for 20 mins i should be right?

what strength does iso usually come out as?

again thanks for all contributions

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thank you very much for your contribution GW...

so i can get away with not decarbing if i use correct temp/time in the evap process?

if i use low temp evap and then purge in an oven at 120 C for 20 mins i should be right?

what strength does iso usually come out as?

again thanks for all contributions

You don't have to pre decarboxylate.

Above about 52C/125F changes start to occur more rapidly. Under vacuum you can boil at below those temperatures, or evaporate off naturally below those temperature.

See ethanol boiling points under vacuum, compliments of SH.

If you have to boil above those temperatures, minimize the time by doing it smaller batches.

The decarboxylation curves are predictions at best, because all material doesn't start at the same level of decarboxylation, so the most accurate way is to watch the CO2 bubble formation.

I have noted that when doing so, the 122C/250F curve is in the ball park for the top of the curve.

As far as potency, what ISO extraction process are you using?

Attachments

• Boiling point of ethanol under vacuum.jpg
    Boiling point of ethanol under vacuum.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17

ozzieAI

Veteran
i do a long wash for about 5 mins of shaking and sitting and then do a second quick wash to get the last of the goodies...

will try natural evaporation next batch...

gumby420

ok so lets say I have some BHO and I decarb it and want to cook with it. Wouldn't I lose potency if the decarbed oil was then cooked in something like brownies at 350?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok so lets say I have some BHO and I decarb it and want to cook with it. Wouldn't I lose potency if the decarbed oil was then cooked in something like brownies at 350?

Yes. Fortunately the mixture doesn't reach 350F until the end when most water is boiled off.