What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

flushing part II: what about in soil?

Telepod

I grow in soil (organic nutrients), and have experimented with "flushing" (i.e. massive leaching of the soil with plain water) versus watering nomally until the end of harvest and just phasing out the nutrients about 2 weeks before the end. I myself haven't noticed much difference, and I have heard conflicting opinions from others. What do you think?

Does it make sense/ make a difference to try leaching nutrients or whatnot out of a soil grow, or should one just control feeding and try to get the plants to exaust their supplies by chop-time? I was going to ask this in another thread on leaching for aero/hydro but it really is a different question & I didn't want to hijack... any opinions will be welcome.

Cheers,

-Telepod

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
Flushin soil is not good.

If i was you Telepod i lissen to Captain Canibus . i never did it but i dont see how can you flush soil mix . it may take 100 gal of water per gal of soil to get it clean. and than you still will have to see if that help or make it worse.

good luck

Telepod

right on y'all

right on y'all

Leaching the soil before harvest is something I tried on my first grow years ago... nowadays I feed with PB Pro until about 2 weeks before harvest, then give pure water until the end. Works just great.

Thanks for the feedback!

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would never harvest without leaching. But that's just me. In nature, the roots are flushed thoroughly every time the clouds open up and dump cats and dogs on the garden...

Telepod

CC: I like your work, clearly you have found methods that do well for you. When you leach before harvest, when do you do it and how much water do you use? Do you notice a decribable difference between plants you haven't done this to and those you have; or have you always leached at harvest from the get-go?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I am trying to find out what people do and why, to futher my understanding of cannabis culture as a whole. Thanks!

-Tele

Hippo

my take on it is, if u dont flush u gonna leave behind alot of npk, whether that be organic or chemical its all the same at the end of the day.
Imo if u dont flush or atleast just water for 10-14 days at the finish, u will have higher amounts of nutes still in the plants, where as if u water only for last 2 weeks, the plant will use up nutes stored whithin itself, hence yellowing at the end of the cycle.
To me that makes perfect sense, saves u some nutes and makes your end product alot smoother.
I definatly wouldn't fert a plant to the chop date, no way.
Hippo

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Growth slows during the flushing period because the nutes have been flushed to a greatly diminished concentration. A plant that keeps getting fed will keep growing where possible, but will kill your lungs and burn terribly if you smoke it without properly leaching - even organic.

About good taste and burn... Remember that a slow, dark drying period makes for a smooth smoke. The newbie 3-5 day open air dry will dry the herb out too quickly and cause a harsh taste and bad burn.

Another mistake is to remove the buds from the plant for drying. Leaving the buds on the stem allows the buds to access moisture for a lot longer, making the dry slow to a crawl - and that's what you really want. Patience! If you want to remove the buds for drying, then dry slowly in some other way, like keeping the buds in a cardboard box or a paper bag. Just don't provide a mold environment. :eek:

The sugars and other nasty burning stuff in there breaks down when moisture is present for long enough ;)

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
definitely
Crazy Composer you are rite on the drying method . i let my plants dry for as long as possible. I see how many of you find a need to flush you plants. i never do it because i dont use any ferts. in first month i give them good dose of bat guano and after that is pure water till the end. This is the way i like to grow and iam sure there may be many new extras i can do to make things better but its hard to teach old dog new tricks. Love your work CC keep those buds getting bigger.

peace

HC

Hippo

i dunno how well your plants yeild for u, imvho u would be wise to work out a proper feed schedule, rather than giving them one huge fertilising.

HOT CARGO

The Best Is Yet To Come
Veteran
i dont give them too much. as soon as they go in 12-12 i will give them bat guano solution that i make for cople weeks .It will not burn. I been growing for over ten years and try it all. I never did bad with this method. This is what i do and i dont say this is the only way,just my pure organic. You can check the photo galery what you can grow on water.

peace

HC

Hippo

So u find they yeild better when u dont feed em regular in flower?, not heard that 1 before.
I grow my soil mother in soil, biobizz nutes, all organic, i find that if i dont feed regular i get yellowing pretty bad after a while, even if i feed regular with low doses this happens, so i feed regular medium sized doses.
Ive tried to fert bigger amounts, but less times and i find they burn.
This bat guano, ive never tried it although it sounds like good shit. I should try it some time, sounds to me like its releasing nutes over a period of time rather than all at once. Like time release pellets maybe.
Watever, as long as u like your weed, who am i to question it.
I will try that bat shit sometime soon though.
goodluck ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts