What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vs. HID test grow

Boerman

OK, people have been asking for this so I am going to give it a try.

As many may know, I wanted to see for myself how current LEDs perform compared to HID lighting. So I set up a side by side grow using a switchable digital 400w HID on one side and a 82w LED array on the other side.

I got the LED array from HIDhut. I did not build it, so I can't answer as many questions as I am sure as I will get. My understanding is that the LEDs are 1w, 637s. 10 of the LEDs are blue. The array is a prototype and you will see, if I can get the pics to load, that the power supply is external. They are expecting a shipment any day now and all the ones they will have will have the power supply internal.

The setup is a 5' x 3' cab with a divider in the middle. Three sides are closed, 1 side is open for observation and to allow the ambient temps to equalize as much as possible. The plants are clones that were taken/rooted at the same time, from the same mom. They are being grown in a e/f setup. I don't normally grow e/f, but I wanted them to share the same nutes at the same time so, hopefully, there is no bias in the feeding. I am also not using any cutting, bending, tying, pruning etc. techniques so as to avoid any potential favoritism. The HID light has been kept about 18" above the plant top. Although the LED has been kept much closer, I haven't set it right on top of the plant because most people don't just grow a single plant and I want to see a more expanded footprint that is closer to typical growing conditions. The plants were vegged for 3 weeks and are now in the 3rd day of 12/12.

I just got this camera and have no idea how well this is going to turn out, but here goes. This pic is side by side with lights on.

This one is the HID side with a 2 liter bottle to the right of the plant.

And this one is the LED side with the 2 liter on the left of the plant.

I may try finding another light to shine on the LED side for pics. They don't turn out too good under the red light. Screws with your vision pretty quick, too.

B

NOKUY

Veteran
props for giving the side by side test a go. :wave:

I already know who the winner will be tho

Boerman

NOKUY said:
props for giving the side by side test a go. :wave:

I already know who the winner will be tho

thanks, you want to share with me who the winner will be?

slips - The HID side was vegged with MH, the LED side will be LED all the way.

B

NOKUY

Veteran
forgot how to spell "the'

forgot how to spell "the'

Boerman said:
thanks, you want to share with me who the winner will be?
B

the winner will be you :headbange

Last edited:

Boerman

slips said:
So as of now the growth is about equal :)

I'd say not. The LED side is now 20" at its highest point. The HID side is only 17". It's harder to see in the pics, but the difference is quite obvious when you are standing right there. The LED side is also much wider. I don't like to make comparison claims that I can't put a tape measure or scale to.

I want to be upfront here: I want the LED side to win. If it does, it will represent such a giant leap in technology. The benefits will be huge. But I am not going to lie here to myself or to anybody else. I think I have designed this test in such a way as to eliminate any biased influence on my part. And if anybody sees any way to improve the fairness of the test, I hope they will point it out. I must admit that right now I am shocked at the current stage of development. Pleasantly shocked. In my wildest imaginations I had hoped that the LEDs would at least come close to the performance of the HIDs. I never dreamed that they would be outperforming at this point.

Having said that, the goal is not to produce taller, wider plants. So I will be waiting 8 more weeks before making a final judgement. But it really IS hard to contain the excitement when I go in there and see the two plants.

The next important thing to see will be how well it does when you put the LEDs higher for a wider footprint. Not many people use a 400w light to grow just one plant. I'd like to see how the LED does, say in the middle of four plants.

But right now I am feeling like going shopping for a coonskin cap 'cause I'm feeling a little like a pioneer. WoooHooo!

B

reaperz

the led is ahead, little old 82 watts vs big ole 400watts blasting down from a hid

the led side is bigger and bushier, im defo taking a seat for this one

i think the led could rival the HID but only if the led's were spaced out in a 2x2(maybe bigger) array rather then concentrated in one point, also i think the plants under the led's would need to scrog'd or lst

Last edited:
S

stonedeconomist

This is going to be a real interesting grow . I've got my subscription in.

:lurk:

This is great I'm looking forward to this. I remember last year when my store got some of these and we were both skeptical as to whether or not it would actually grow something so I'm pulling up a chair for this one for sure. May the best light win!

ParadimeBag

props for doing this. i've been interested in seeing an actual side-by-side test for a long time, but it seems that no one has taken the logical step to do so. i watch with great anticipation.

Boerman

Here's a pic from today. It's so hard to get a decent pic with the lights on. The sign says FLO 4 cause I haven't changed the sign yet, but it's actually the end of day 5 of flower.

Boerman

It's kinda like watching the grass grow. lol Pun intended. Just a little taller and wider on both sides. Everything is healthy. Just eyeballing it, it seems that the LED side may have stretched a little much. But it is hard to be objective just looking at things. That's why I am most interested in final product. The scales don't lie. I will have a new pic in a couple of days.

B

D Rock

HERBAL RELEAF PLANT A SEED START A WE
Veteran
Very interesting, I have often wondered about the effectivness of LED's

MID TOWN

This is great! I've been wanting to see someone try out the leds. It'd bet interesting to use a light meter and see how deep and wide the useable light foot print actually is on one of those.

Latest posts

Latest posts