What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

KungPOW!!! makes a FLIP/FLOP

D

DB2004

When a 1000 watt ballast is on, it draws approximately 8.3 watts, during the flip, the amperage drops to approximtely 3 amps for a few milliseconds, then increases to 8.3 amps again. There is a minute spike, but you would need an oscilliscope or voltage analyzing equipment to measure the exact duration of volatge and amperage drop and spike. It's nothing that would show up on a meter.

Best Regards

DB

G

glad i could help you guys out!!

I am humbled that this thread was so well received!

I am going to be back on here more now that i am putting some personal stuff behind me.

glad i can help all you boys out there

best wishes

POW!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone post where to get the proper relays?? the open type is what is said to be best but nobody says where to get them.. What's the proper specs on it? Thanks.

edit: man I feel like a dumb ass ... the picture on the first page gives the specs and Mfg. part # of the relay. nte electronics r04-11a30-120
Thanks KUng POW!!

Last edited:

Arkaya

Yeah I'm also having trouble finding this heavy duty open relay model # NTE R04-11A30-120

I either find nothing or I find the ice cube style wimpy relays. I looked at frys electronics, home depot and lowes and didn't find these.

So kung pow!!!, where did you find this beefy relay?

D

DB2004

flip temps

flip temps

Those relays are the right ones, but if you're going to be building a flip with 4 or more relays, make sure the enclosure is vented or has a louver. These relays get very warm. I've measured internal temp as high as 52 Celcius (125F). If the enclosure has a front opening, keep it open or off to allow air flow. They get warm especially when the coil is energized.

Best Regards

DB

Wayzer

hey i definitely am building 1 NOW! lool

if i'm using 240 to power the ballasts do i have to get the 240v relays?

man this is the smartest shit

D

DB2004

The AC power for the ballasts has nothing to do with the Flip relays. The Flip relays just switch the lamp load output between two bulbs. The ballasts being 120V or 240V doesn't matter for the flip. The coil for the Flip relays is 120V, but the contacts are rated for 30A @ 600V.

Best Regards

DB

Wayzer

ya they might be rated for 30a 600v but i use relays to build my growlight controller boxes and it definately matters if i'm using the 240v relays there so was just wondering... so if it doesnt matter i guess im safer going with the 240v relay.... i guess... btw the coil rating has nothing to do with the load the relay is meant to handle. the coil is for the timer. i have 4 relays that are for 220v and have a 110 coil. like i believe kung pow pictured

anybody wanna make it a bit more clear why it wouldnt matter....

BakedBeans

Yes, the coil is 120V but that is a separate circuit from the lights. The contacts on the relay are 0-600V. It doesn't matter what voltage your lights are running.

Nice thread.

bb :joint:

Last edited:
D

DB2004

The relays are rated for 240V on the contacts, but will easilly handle 600V for the lamp. The 120V or 240V for the ballast power doesn't matter, all that matters is the contact rating for the relay. The coil voltage can be many voltages AC or DC. I think this is the easiest explanation.

Best Regards

DB

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
So, kung pow, how is your flip flop holding up?

your relays did they have to be pulse rated? I know that the sockets for the bulbs have to be pulse rated because of the way extra power that the ballasts send to the bulb to light them, this is why i ask about the relays

D

DB2004

I use the same relays, they're rated for pulse rating of 6000VAC. That's what one of the techs at NTE told me. They should be replaced about every 2 years. The contacts do get carbon build up from arcing. You can wipe the contact points with some emery cloth, should get a few more crops before you will need to replace the flip.

Best Regards

DB

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
do you mean 6000vac or do you mean 600vac? the relays have 600vac printed on them.......

So they really need to be replaced about every two years?

you don't have a link to a web site for NTE do you?
If i was to go to one of the local electrical supply houses I kind of think that the relays would be a lot more than what kung pow payed for his

gottt it

man .. you guys are the shit!!! everyone who put their input on this thread is the man! thx for all the info .. north coast hydrogarden should hire one of you guys, they used to sell something like this but they couldnt get it correct .. so they stopped selling them ..

Last edited:
D

DB2004

gottt it said:
man .. you guys are the shit!!! everyone who put their input on this thread is the man! thx for all the info .. north coast hydrogarden should hire one of you guys, they used to sell something like this but they couldnt get it correct .. so they stopped selling them ..

North Coast Hydro used to sell the Equalizer Flips, those flips were garbage. I used to work for IP Controls, what an asshole the owner was. Now IP Controls is out of business and dozens of very upset customers. I was fired for refusing to continue building garbage flips and timers. Shawn at NorthCoast is a great guy, glad to see they no longer carry the Equalizer flips. Maybe they can distribute mine. If anyone has an IP Control flip or timer, let me know. I can build you a replacement unit that WILL work......

Best Regards

DB

ginoberde

I have purchased the relays, but I do not understand where to put the timer
Is it placed between the ballast and flip flop or between the flip flop and the bulb
I am going to use it for two 600w hps ballast
I have some pics of the relay
If someone has a diagram or someting that shows me how to install the wires and how to setup the lamps and timer, or can explain it to me
I would be very gratefull
Thank you for your help