What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jogger

Dirt Bag

Watching purge bubbles form and pop can be worse than watching paint dry, grass grow, or whichever idiom you prefer. Especially those last few... No these last few... Wait, there's more... Sigh.
I decided to just jiggle my purge rig (which is in reality an electric skillet containing a Reynolds turkey roasting bag of sterilized sandbox sand with a 2 gallon Glass Vac nestled snuggly on top with a BBQ meat thermometer nestled just under the chamber). It worked. Bubbles erupted dramatically faster than just sitting there. But who is going to sit there banging a skillet on the counter? Right? Then I remembered a job I had (in 1986) at the local newspaper. I just had to combine one of each Sunday ads and align them. This is accomplished on a paper jogger... Basically a table that vibrates. Using one under a vacuum chamber would not only reduce purge times, it would probably produce a deeper purge and possibly eliminate the need for flips. If anyone has access to one, or uses one I'd love to hear about it.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Watching purge bubbles form and pop can be worse than watching paint dry, grass grow, or whichever idiom you prefer. Especially those last few... No these last few... Wait, there's more... Sigh.
I decided to just jiggle my purge rig (which is in reality an electric skillet containing a Reynolds turkey roasting bag of sterilized sandbox sand with a 2 gallon Glass Vac nestled snuggly on top with a BBQ meat thermometer nestled just under the chamber). It worked. Bubbles erupted dramatically faster than just sitting there. But who is going to sit there banging a skillet on the counter? Right? Then I remembered a job I had (in 1986) at the local newspaper. I just had to combine one of each Sunday ads and align them. This is accomplished on a paper jogger... Basically a table that vibrates. Using one under a vacuum chamber would not only reduce purge times, it would probably produce a deeper purge and possibly eliminate the need for flips. If anyone has access to one, or uses one I'd love to hear about it.

Good idea! Adding vibrational energy would reduce the surface tension so that the bubbles can more easily break it and escape.

Vibration is hard on electronics and heating elements, so keeping them isolated from the vibration would be a good idea.

If you were just shaking a tray in an oven or chamber, you could ostensibly use an ultrasonic transducer for vibration under about 52C/125F. They make high temperature transducers that will operate up to around 150C/302F.

Ostensibly vibrational energy could be used to speed up a purge, or to perform the purge at a lower temperature so as to preserve more of the volatile compounds.

Another thing that vibration does, is continually break new crystals as they form, providing more points of nucleation for more crystals, and ultimately grains of a hydrate. Instead of a few large crystals/grains, you end up with more smaller ones.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW are you saying that the vibrations have a potential to cause buttering.

I've never tried it, so it is a guess based on my experiments solidifying molten metal in a foundry. Vibration changes the large columnar grains to a fine equiax for the reasons I gave.

I suggest that you try it and see.