What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collection pot foaming when I pour?

Sriley28

So I recovery passively and have recently added a filter drier and since then any time I go to pour out my run to foams up and hardens like spray foam. What would cause it to start doing this now?

Attachments

• B26142DB-BCAC-4285-ACC9-9724120B23C2.jpg
    B26142DB-BCAC-4285-ACC9-9724120B23C2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 10

Sriley28

what happens when u take it to 115 and full vac

It melts back down and can turn to shatter but with it foaming/hardening up its a pain to get out of the collection pot. I use to be able to pour it but now I have to scrape it out. The only thing that has changed was the adding of the filter dryer.

troutman

Seed Whore
You could maybe dissolve your bubble extract using a very small amount 95%+ ethanol.

Then the bubbles would pop and you could let it dry back to solid. :tiphat:

Note: Don't use a vaccum pump and it will dry solid without bubbles.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I recovery passively and have recently added a filter drier and since then any time I go to pour out my run to foams up and hardens like spray foam. What would cause it to start doing this now?

You seem to have re-discovered Cotton Candy. The vacuum inflates the remaining oil into foam, and it dries in that state.

Attachments

• 85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    85F extraction-1-1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 10

Sriley28

You seem to have re-discovered Cotton Candy. The vacuum inflates the remaining oil into foam, and it dries in that state.

But I don’t let it get down to a vaccum. And it doesn’t foam up till it starts to be poured. I guess the question is how do I stop it from happening?

prune

Veteran
Stop it? Either chilling your pot below the vapor point of your solvent or leaving a touch more solvent in the extract so that it pours faster should do the trick...

Sriley28

Stop it? Either chilling your pot below the vapor point of your solvent or leaving a touch more solvent in the extract so that it pours faster should do the trick...

Yeah I just don’t understand how adding a filter drier has caused this to happen. My process hasn’t changed at all other than the butane now gets dried befor going back into the tank.

frazierk

Hmm it doesn't seem likely this would happen just because your butane is dry now. To stop it from happening I would chill your collection pot below room temp before opening and pouring. You need to slow the evaporation rate of your solvent. Maybe add 5-10% n-butane to your iso-butane.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But I don’t let it get down to a vaccum. And it doesn’t foam up till it starts to be poured. I guess the question is how do I stop it from happening?

What are you using for LPG?

Last edited:

Old Gold

I used to do this all the time with butane (finishing the recoveries cold) and going all the way to -20" Hg. It's the best starting material for shatter, because it already is....just needs to be melted down. I would usually purge it in this state for 24 hrs under vacuum before melting it down in order to pretty much ensure 0 ppm.

I think it's rather easy to remove from the collection pot. Though the residue does need the ethanol treatment.

The air bubbles and all that will go away. Set it in the oven (no vacuum) or on a heating mat set to ~90-93F and set some weight on top of it evenly (textbooks work great). Just let it sit and slowly melt together. The slower you do this, the less chance of haziness or nucleation. With product like you pictured (nice and white by the way!), nucleation isn't likely to be a big issue anyways.

My friend's blue dream a few years back refused to do anything but this (never really tried to "sauce" it however). Low terpene content and high THCa content.....
Do you dewax? If not, how cold is your solvent upon injection? Maybe you are simply doing a great job with extraction and yielding such high THCa percentages that it is coming out crystalline. I'm sure some of the white shards from blue dream I used to run would've come in over 90%.

gumby420

Or to ask another way, what percent propane are you running?

he said he uses isobutane. I just switched over to a blend of 50% n butane, 25% propane and 25% iso butane and love it so far. the iso butane makes super stable slabs, I can get my solvent down to -40 prior to injection and have enough pressure to actually flood my column.
I would guess its foaming like that on the pour out because of something to do with running 100% iso. But just a guess...

montroller

I actually just switched from running a 70 n butane 30 n propane blend to just running iso butane and have been getting this exact foam issue... well it isn't really an issue I just can't pour anymore. Pretty sure it's from the solvent.

At first I tried to leave some extra solvent in so I could pour again but even when it was soupy in the extractor it turned to foam the second it was exposed to atmosphere. I'm guessing it has to do with having a lower BP than n butane.