What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH

vetteman69

Who's using CMH lights? I'm going to switch over from DE's and am curious which brand/light is better for CMH. Please only opine if you are using CMH.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I use Philips Master color and GE Constant color in 400 watts. Both magnetic and low frequency digital ballasts were used with each.

GE won every time, in my less than humble opinion. I also do not use LED's with the extra red bloom switch as an overabundance of red is as poor as under.

The meters agree with me, from a two percent edge going to GE with square wave digital to an almost twelve percent advantage with Philips on magnetic and GE on square wave. That last one was more to show the difference the low frequency square wave makes, almost ten percent even with the same bulb used.

I would venture a guess the 315 watt new generation CMH with matched ballast have similar curves and vastly outperform similar wattage HID/MH.

The two percent brand to brand was tiny in comparison to the ballast differences.

przcvctm

I'm still rocking old school 400w CMH. Have two bulbs left and will weep when the last one burns out. Nothing better for veg and flower (IMO)!

Bluto

I have set up a 315 and It is bright. Makes me want to upgrade all my T 5s. Workers at the shops claim a gram a watt.
I'm more veg minded with them.

Also got a conversion bulb for a DE hood. Put one in a gavita and vegging with it. It is two 315s in one bulb. Liking it so far only been 24hrs but seems to work well.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I swapped out 3x600mh and 3x600hps for 3x315 and 4x315. So far with the same.number of plants, I'll get an = to if not better harvest with the 315, and by using just about half as much power.

Latest posts

Latest posts