What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help please with yellowing

linky

Hey all.

I have a new room setup and some issues with yellowing. Starting mid leaves it appears. They are about a week into flower.

Its a sealed room running co2 at 1100-1200 ppm (using controller). I have low to mid 80's canopy temp. Keeping it at temps of about 70-72 with lights out. Currently I am keeping it at 55 percent humidity with lights on and 45-50 with lights out. I am able to adjust humidity anywhere from about 45 up to 80+ if wanted/needed. As of now I am venting 5 times a day for 20 minutes each. when lights come on and then every 4 hours and once in middle of lights out.

I am growing in canna coco using canna coco nutrient line.

I started at 1.3 EC and have since upped it to 1.6 EC (RO water)

PH is currently at 6.1. I started it at 5.9.

Started with

350 A and B
200 Cannazym
75 rhizotonic
125 cal mag plus
100 silicia

I have since added an additional 100 ml of A and B and additional 75ml of cal mag

I don't start using boost until flowers start appearing, around day 14-18.

Idea what may be going on? This is the 2nd grow in this new room and I had very bad yellowing issues with first run as well. I was not running cal mag or silica in that run. That is why I have started using it this run to see if it happens again.

Thanks for any info.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

maimunji

Maybe co2 too strong but I never run and don't know for sure. Or some kind of off gassing from something in room. Doesn't look like nute or medium issues. Its something with environment.

linky

Maybe co2 too strong but I never run and don't know for sure. Or some kind of off gassing from something in room. Doesn't look like nute or medium issues. Its something with environment.

1100 ppm for co2 is on the lower side for people who run co2, most run at around 1500ppm.

Only thing running in room besides dehumidifiers, central ac, lights, fans and humidifier is the co2 generator.

Maybe I will turn co2 generator off and run 24/7 vented for a week and see if issues clear up, would really rather not do that but if environment is the issue I guess that is the only way to find out. If it ends up being that though I wonder what the issue could be then.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
mag def. add epsom salt 1tsp per gallon water with every feeding till you flush.

actually imma walk that back, didn't notice you were feeding 1.6EC. man that's hella high you probably locking it out. looks like mag def, but those tips are starting to burn and i see crinkle...probably overfeeding PK and locking out Mag.

when did the yellowing start? before or after the jump from 1.3 to 1.6EC? and did the yellowing start before or after you saw flowers?

linky

mag def. add epsom salt 1tsp per gallon water with every feeding till you flush.

actually imma walk that back, didn't notice you were feeding 1.6EC. man that's hella high you probably locking it out. looks like mag def, but those tips are starting to burn and i see crinkle...probably overfeeding PK and locking out Mag.

when did the yellowing start? before or after the jump from 1.3 to 1.6EC? and did the yellowing start before or after you saw flowers?

Thanks for the reply.

The yellowing started before 1.6 EC and had no yellowing before put into flower a week ago.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
The plant utilises nutrients in a different way in flower, I think your leaves are generally pale and also seem to be bleaching slightly at the edges, a sure sign of under feeding

Leaves bleaching outside in = under fed

Leaves bleaching inside outwards = over fed

Just retread PBLs post, could be lockout, don't change more than one thing at a time, tempting tho it is, coco is pretty quick to both show deficiencies and cure them

I keep my ph at 6.2 start to finish, roots seem to prefer a stable ph right through

linky

Okay, should I add an additional 75 to 100ml of each A and B to start? or just like 20 percent more of everything perhaps?

slipdefeu

Hello!

@Pweredbylove +1 ;)

Plants shows some defficience that's allright, but it's not necesserary because they're hungry, a high ppm level inside the substrat can block absorbtion too, in this case a huge flush is required.
what about the volume/ec/pH run-off?

slip

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
if i were you first thing i would do is flush with 1.0 ec. what's that a flood and drain? just run through the nutes at 1.0EC till they run off a little bit like 10%. give it a day or two. it's either gonna get better or get worse. if it get's worse up the food cuz it's just hungry, if it gets better you know it was overfeeding and locking out.

linky

if i were you first thing i would do is flush with 1.0 ec. what's that a flood and drain? just run through the nutes at 1.0EC till they run off a little bit like 10%. give it a day or two. it's either gonna get better or get worse. if it get's worse up the food cuz it's just hungry, if it gets better you know it was overfeeding and locking out.

Good advice, I will give that a try. I upped it a little bit yesterday so will see how they look tonight, if not any better I will give this a try.

thanks all!

linky

I don't understand why you hav'nt check your run-off, the answer is in.

I don't have run off really, I flood and drain, it fills up the 4 x 4 tray from the bottom 2"-3", it is just soaked/whicked up from the bottom of the pots into the coco.

slipdefeu

Ok i've just understand what does mean flood&drain :biggrin:

I've a mate who's running this type of system, except he don't use co2.
Don't know his ppm level while stretch, but he didn't feed more than 250ppm nutes (tapwater 0.5 + nutes = ec1) during the entire blooming phase and it worked.

high feed doen't seem necessary high yields and of course not high quality.
Ok your plants are showing some defficience but do you think that you don't feed them as much?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do a slurry with distilled, I would imagine a very low pH (low 5's) and high EC (3+).

How often are you flooding?

Are you controlling the humidity rise at lights out?

How is the flame on the generator? During venting as well.

Did this setup work in a previous location?

Just my two penny thoughts.

Last edited:

Buddler

Veteran
I was reading this and thinking Sealed Room with co2 usually needs to runs at higher heat and ec but the ec the op is runnin lot of cal mag and silica.your basenutes ec should be around 1.4 maybe higher once u dial it in for a sealed room .Before you add calmag and silica. a thought anyways

linky

did you ever fix it?

I think so, hard to tell though because the next set I put into flower were different strains. I ended up venting the room when lights on, its an 800 sqf room (not full of plants, lots of open space) but only have about 400 cfm pulling out (pulls from ceiling). Everything I put in a few weeks ago is looking very good so far. I lowered room temps to 75 ambient and approx 80 canopy, also lowered humidity to 50 percent and lowered co2 to 750 ppm. Even though I am venting it still is keep it at 750 ppm with no problems and not having to run any more than it did keeping it at 1200 ppm. (ares 10 co2 generator).

I have also started adding cal mag and silica to the nutrients as well.

Lesterburnum

I'd get rid of the calmag. Canna has plenty. That stuff will cause lockout. And your ec is hella high.
Go to 1 ec and drop cal mag. You might have to flush them. I would first.

linky

I'd get rid of the calmag. Canna has plenty. That stuff will cause lockout. And your ec is hella high.
Go to 1 ec and drop cal mag. You might have to flush them. I would first.

I have read and heard opposite opinions on cal mag with canna coco nutrients. Some say you need to add it because coco holds onto calcium and others say you don't need it. I can try removing cal mag next water change and see how they do. I just know I was not using it and had really bad yellowing, really messed up a number of my plants, they are near harvest now but literally 3/4 of the leaves are gone. Amazingly enough the bud looks good, lots of crystal and dense, smells horrible too (exodus cheese) :) I know I lost half my yield on those. Maybe the yellowing was mainly a strain thing, never ran it before and most the other ones were fine. (Grape God, Obi Wan OG, Scott's OG, all turned out nice.). These were all new strains for me though besides Grape God, I have grown this one a few times.

1 ec seems so low to me but I can try it, I am open to trying anything :) I am used to running 1.8-2.0 EC with previous systems. I ran approx 1.6-1.8 with rdwc, which is the system I was running previously (for a year or so) using both blue planet nutrients and cyco in those systems. (had 4 8 site rdwc systems I had built).

I am going to do a run with blue planet in one of my trays and compare them to canna. I will use boost though with them in flower, as boost seems to help with added flavor and smell.

Latest posts

Latest posts