What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

switched to canna coco, new room as well

linky

Hey all, I setup a new grow using canna coco and canna coco nutrient line plus using mammoth P as well in vet and flower.

I am replicating vaderog's (ocean grown seeds/youtube) grow style. I am using flood and drain tables and recycling nutrients. I feed about 1.3-1.4 ec. 3 times during lights on and once during lights off. I am in a sealed room with co2 using a mix of 1000 hps and 1000 gavita's.

I just recently learned of VPD and realized my humidity is far to low to be growing in 85-89 canopy temps with co2 and only 50 percent humidity. So in the meantime until I can get my humidity up to 65-70 percent I have lowered co2 to 750 ppm and canopy temps to ~74-76 range. Still looking for a good humidifier that is up to the task of getting humidity up to those ranges. I am exhausting also twice a day, once mid day and once after lights off for 15 minutes each. Intake through a phresh intake filter and exhausting through a can carbon filter.

The problem I am having is I have yellowing on a few plants. Almost like a nitrogen deficiency, but I don't think that is the problem. I did add a little cali magic as well once the problem started, not much, maybe 75 ml in the 40 gal res. It may be related to the environment issue or something else is off. It has been yellowing from lower leaves first for the most part and working its way up. New growth looks very good as they are coming in though.

Anyone familiar with growing in this style and have some recommendations on nutes/environment or perhaps current issue I am having?

Lesterburnum

Canna does not recommend recirculating unless you're using vega nutes.
I can see where this would happen recircing the nutes.
Dtw and you'll be fine. I never add cal mag except at flush and no yellowing or mag deficiencies. Canna line has plenty of both.

Yeah humidity is way way to low for those temps.

Hope my two cents helps man.

Lesterburnum

Be careful with that mammoth. My buddy fried all of his by using it like everyday.

I would suggest a weekly dosing with it. But again just my two cents man.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Canna nutes are a bit low on Nitrogen, I use Plant Magic Grow as it has lots of N, from recollection I had the same when I just used Canna Coco and was advised to use alternative veg nutes

Otherwise I'm with Lester on way to go

linky

Thanks all for the replies. Yeah I know you are not suppose to recirculate canna coco but I am just mimicking vaderog's grow (youtube channel). He grows in this way and has great results.

I have remedied the humidity issue, I have it at 75 percent with canopy temps mid to high 80's now and using co2 at around 1100 ppm. I have it at 73 with lights off and humidity 45-50 percent.

I am using less than 1ml per gallon of mammoth p, have not had any issues with it yet, but man does it make a difference, way more growth when using it.

What could I add to get a little bit of nitrogen supplement besides another nute line? something like nitro boost maybe for veg and first couple weeks of flower?

thanks all!

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Vaderdog has his set up dialled in, I agree with Lester about not reusing the waste, if the plants didn't want it yesterday why should they want it today, plus you nutrients are never correct, each fresh batch gets mixed with what ever drained out, salts and all

My main aim is keeping it simple but as perfect as I can, fresh feed every time and well oxygenated, reuse it and when you get root rot in one plant the next feed they'll all have it

FFS feed is cheap and $10 extra can be the difference between an acceptable crop and a big one worth considerably more than the $10 spent getting there

hazyfontazy

Veteran
What could I add to get a little bit of nitrogen supplement besides another nute line? something like nitro boost maybe for veg and first couple weeks of flower?

thanks all!

are you using r/o water or tap ?

1.3 ec is to low for your plants hence the yellowing ,,up it to 1.8 -2.0 and things will green up again :tiphat:

tbk

Hello.
If you want to add N Canna has a mono nute line http://other.canna.com/mononutrients

About recirc. try ask canna. One of the problem is pH. Some nute lines has buffers added https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution. As an example canna aqua and hydro is for recirc and run to waste. http://other.canna.com/hydro http://other.canna.com/aqua
One mentioned that if the plants don't want it one day why the other. This is to a lesser degree the problem, as plants to some extend is selective in their nute uptake. Of course you need to change the water and nutes at some point, but recirc. can save you money if done right. It's also more eco friendly. Regular nute production are not very eco friendly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process last section in the link.
Canna has two nute lines for coco, the reg coco and the cogr. maybe there is difference between these two lines similiar to the hydro and aqua.

Maybe add pictures of the problem to allow others to evaluate the extend of the problem?

gr866

Veteran
Way to much fluctuation in ppm/ec when recirculating nutes in coco. I would not do it, did it in some coco hempys a few years ago, big fucking mistake.
Just IMHO,

GR

B

Baron Greenback

Been recirculating Canna for a few years now, absolutely zero problems. Ph in flower stays at 5.9 from the first balancing to the refill, everything is taken in the same proportion, ec also remains utterly stable.
8 feeds per day, sometimes up to 5 minutes per feed, ec no higher than 1.2 even for huge tropical sativas. I use the cogr range now, along with their rhizotonic and Enzyme - with it recirculating, nutrient costs are minimal so I can go for the expensive additives if needed.
I use the Cogr slabs so if pumps fail and I don't notice for a few days, the slab is still soaked and the plants won't die.
I do like coco, even did my outdoors in it this year, best ones I have ever grown outside :)
I have also recently started using some veg. nutrient in flower, 25% is about my aim, seems to keep them a little greener than just flowering nutrient.

Last edited:

linky

Been recirculating Canna for a few years now, absolutely zero problems. Ph in flower stays at 5.9 from the first balancing to the refill, everything is taken in the same proportion, ec also remains utterly stable.
8 feeds per day, sometimes up to 5 minutes per feed, ec no higher than 1.2 even for huge tropical sativas. I use the cogr range now, along with their rhizotonic and Enzyme - with it recirculating, nutrient costs are minimal so I can go for the expensive additives if needed.
I use the Cogr slabs so if pumps fail and I don't notice for a few days, the slab is still soaked and the plants won't die.
I do like coco, even did my outdoors in it this year, best ones I have ever grown outside :)
I have also recently started using some veg. nutrient in flower, 25% is about my aim, seems to keep them a little greener than just flowering nutrient.

Which veg nutrients are you using? 25 percent of recommended dosage? You are using that in addition to canna coco a and b?

I have been keeping ec at 1.3, ph stays stable at 5.8-6.0 at all times so far.

I have settled on using this now in the 40 gal reses

100ml silicia
125ml cal mag plus
350ml canna coco a & b
75ml (flower) 150ml (veg) rhizotonic
200ml cannazym
200ml (starting day 14ish) boost
50ml hydroguard (just in case)
hand watering twice a week with mammath p, (not using it in the res.)

Going to give this a try on the next run that are just now going into flower. I also bought some nitrogen boost to have just in case, will try using half dosage in veg and first 2 weeks of flower possibly.

Mudraya

Same. No difference between DTW and Recirc. It's all about proper reservoir management.

linky

Okay, I have started venting the room, set temps down to mid 70's room about 78-80 canopy with 50-55 percent humidity when lights on and 45-50 humidity with lights off and the yellowing and problems seem to have gone away. Newer plants I put into flower are starting to look greener and yellowing appears to have stopped. I only have a 6" can fan through a can carbon filter pulling air out and a 6" can fan pulling through a phresh intake hepa filter coming in, this is in an approx 800 sqf room. So not venting a ton of air through. I do have the co2 on still but at 750 ppm, having no problems keeping it there and its not running a whole lot to keep it there either. (have an ares 10 burner).

Anyone know why when running sealed with co2 and humidity at 50 percent and/or following the vpd chart keeping it at 75-80 percent (mid to high 80's canopy temp) I was getting bad yellowing? I raised EC, lowered EC, added cal mag and silica etc.. nothing helped.