What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HTFSE(high terpene full spectrum extract)

hewy

I tried some htfse recently, and it was hands down the most flavorful dab I've ever had. Extractioneering on Instagram has a bunch of finished product but won't share how he's going about doing it. im going to be doing some trial and error runs from the little bit of info I've been able to gather on the process and will report back when finished. If anyone else out their has had success making htfse or knows how and wants to share please do. This is a link to the webpage I found when searching on Google.

http://www.extractioneering.com/faq.html

switchy85

I've been curious about this since I found him on IG. I'm in AZ so I've never had a chance to try any, but it all looks amazing. I know he claims to use a standard CLS that he made only a few small modifications to, so hopefully it's something we can all try out easily enough. Keep us posted on your tests! :)

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I tried some htfse recently, and it was hands down the most flavorful dab I've ever had. Extractioneering on Instagram has a bunch of finished product but won't share how he's going about doing it. im going to be doing some trial and error runs from the little bit of info I've been able to gather on the process and will report back when finished. If anyone else out their has had success making htfse or knows how and wants to share please do. This is a link to the webpage I found when searching on Google.

Wow, interesting!

I've been curious about this since I found him on IG. I'm in AZ so I've never had a chance to try any, but it all looks amazing. I know he claims to use a standard CLS that he made only a few small modifications to, so hopefully it's something we can all try out easily enough. Keep us posted on your tests! :)

I'm in arizona as well! what part of the state are you in?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The sugared (crystalized) pictures look like the propane honey oil I picked up at Chalice and posted pics and a review of recently,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7584507&highlight=Chalice#post7584507

Attachments

• Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.20 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-11-16 at 10.20 AM.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 12

SocalNugz

Doesnt sound like anything but $1000 words for a basic closed loop extraction and lettin it air cure for a few days at temp.
Everyone is tryin to sell the same thing 5 different ways like theyve reinvented the wheel.
Concentrates have had more names in the past 5 years than a 2 dollar ho.

Yeah.

Didn't the "hyperbaric chamber" (hbc wax) guys lie through their teeth about their tek until everyone found out about rosin?

So many temporary lies preying on the ignorance and gullibility of stoners.

Which state did this "tek" originate in? I think i heard about the hyperbaric lie but don't remember where it started.

Doesnt sound like anything but $1000 words for a basic closed loop extraction and lettin it air cure for a few days at temp.
Everyone is tryin to sell the same thing 5 different ways like theyve reinvented the wheel.
Concentrates have had more names in the past 5 years than a 2 dollar ho.

LOL ...... ain't that the truth. Not only that ........ if it ain't piss yellow apparently it's garbage.

Maybe they are adding terps to the extract. To get it to that 40% level.

Of course they are .... and by the way has anyone ever stopped to think vaping terpenes in those amounts might actually be really bad for you? In fact I'd venture to say it's probably very likely it's not good for you.

Amuses me how it's readily acceptable to spare no expense to remove every single trace of the evil butane or ethanol, then proceed to add back ridiculous levels of Terpenes that will possibly in the near future be determined to be far worse to vape than extraction solvents ever were.

They are not adding terpenes from what I can tell from there instagram. They appear to be taking live resin, winterizing, then slowly letting solvent evaporate in narrow containers to allow it to separate into a lower fraction contain sugared out crude THCA crystals, and a top fraction that is high in terpenes. They pour off the high terpene fraction , possibly clean it up further, but that's what appears they are selling as high terpene full spectrum extract(HTFSE). The lower portion sugary portion they sell as High Cannabinoid Full Spectrum Extract(HCFSE).

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now wait...how can one be high terp...the other be high cannabinoid...but yet BOTH still be "full spectrum"...

dank.Frank

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The LPG formula that they quote, is typical of lighter butane.

They state they aren't recovering the butane, so are ostensibly open blasting, so I suspect no provisions are made to remove mystery oil first.

The terpenes in cannabis range from about C-10, through at least C-30. Even the C-21/22 cannabinoids are phenolic terpenoids.

Included with the ~C-30 triterpenes, is chlorophyll, flavonoids, anthro cyanin pigments, and plant waxes.

We get extracts with THCa (C-22) in the low 90's, with most of the rest mono and sesquiterpenes, by freezing the material and extracting with subzero LPG. That significantly reduces the extraction rate of the longer chain C-30 molecules, below that of the C-10 through C-22 molecules.

We use up to a 50/50 blend of instrument grade n-Butane and n-Propane, which we first pre-distill and to 99.99% before extracting with it. That helps retain more C-10 molecules later during purge, because there are no high boiling point residual mystery oil in the extract requiring higher heat and more time to remove.

That lightens the extract further, because C-3 n-Propane is less able to carry C-30 molecules, which is where most of the color comes into the raw oleo resin essential oil.

The anthro cyanin plant pigments are also glucosides (plant sugars), which can be carmamelized by heat.

Short path distillation typically produces three fractions from cannabis essential oil. One is clear monoterpene alcohols, ethers, esters, aldehydes, and ketones. The second is the very light "piss yellow" phenolic terpenoid resin, and the third is the very dark mostly C-30 molecules.

The second reason for using an LPG blend, is that it also flows better below -40C, than straight n-Butane.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ I for one am not about to cast any fearful shadow on the quality of BHO because of the wee little bit of greasy 'Mystery Oil' found in all butane lighter refills. If they're open blasting directly from refrigerant grade tanks - shame, that stuff is nasty, and NEEDS TO BE DISTILLED!

If someone would like to take the position of Danny Danko from HT mag, and 'correct' me to my face with the BS line that all MMJ and legal recreational BHO is made with distilled butane,

"refinedhydrocarbonBIG NEWS!! We are now able to ship our 25 gallon tanks to you for much cheaper than before!! Shipping price on a tank to the Northeast is under $250!! Don't let shipping costs keep you from accessing the highest quality hydrocarbons available!! Give us a shout and #getpuregas #startpurestaypure #cleangas #butane #propane #isobutane #cleanmeds #claritycounts #bho #pho #slabs #losganjales #dabbersdaily #dabbers_unite #nugrun #errl #errlsquad #bhombingamerica #bhombingcali #westcoastdabbers #eastcoastdabbers #liveresin #weshouldsmoke #shatter

ironfistextractorsjd Hawaii?

thatguy_cy@refinedhydrocarbon did you ever launch your line of open blaze nozzles??

blacklabelpaper.co Best gas in the game

cvldersmithPropane, propaaaane (Jim Lahey voice)

peterspliffin Beautiful ����

mpro420o@thatguy_cy was wondering the same? @refinedhydrocarbon not sure it would be cost effective but canned gas sucks and is expensive also

refinedhydrocarbon@ironfistextractorsjd ill look into Hawaii for ya @thatguy_cy @mpro420o We have no plans on creating a nozzle set up, people usually make those on their own

refinedhydrocarbon@blacklabelpaper.co @cvldersmith thanks guys!!

dab.710.daily It's 7:10 somewhere"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI38YDfDNDM/

I have no problem saying CLS is the way to go, but the Mystery Oil in canned butane wasn't the reason for the development of CLS, it was found after by A6 Grower here at ICMAG Concentrate Forums.

switchy85

Now wait...how can one be high terp...the other be high cannabinoid...but yet BOTH still be "full spectrum"...

dank.Frank

Well, I mean, just because one part of the spectrum is higher doesn't mean the full spectrum isn't there. If I have numbers 1 through 10 and call that the full spectrum of numbers, does having way more 5s and 6s (but still have the rest) make it not full spectrum anymore?

Old Gold

Ko
^ I for one am not about to cast any fearful shadow on the quality of BHO because of the wee little bit of greasy 'Mystery Oil' found in all butane lighter refills. If they're open blasting directly from refrigerant grade tanks - shame, that stuff is nasty, and NEEDS TO BE DISTILLED!

If someone would like to take the position of Danny Danko from HT mag, and 'correct' me to my face with the BS line that all MMJ and legal recreational BHO is made with distilled butane,

"refinedhydrocarbonBIG NEWS!! We are now able to ship our 25 gallon tanks to you for much cheaper than before!! Shipping price on a tank to the Northeast is under $250!! Don't let shipping costs keep you from accessing the highest quality hydrocarbons available!! Give us a shout and #getpuregas #startpurestaypure #cleangas #butane #propane #isobutane #cleanmeds #claritycounts #bho #pho #slabs #losganjales #dabbersdaily #dabbers_unite #nugrun #errl #errlsquad #bhombingamerica #bhombingcali #westcoastdabbers #eastcoastdabbers #liveresin #weshouldsmoke #shatter

ironfistextractorsjd Hawaii?

thatguy_cy@refinedhydrocarbon did you ever launch your line of open blaze nozzles??

blacklabelpaper.co Best gas in the game

cvldersmithPropane, propaaaane (Jim Lahey voice)

peterspliffin Beautiful ����

mpro420o@thatguy_cy was wondering the same? @refinedhydrocarbon not sure it would be cost effective but canned gas sucks and is expensive also

refinedhydrocarbon@ironfistextractorsjd ill look into Hawaii for ya @thatguy_cy @mpro420o We have no plans on creating a nozzle set up, people usually make those on their own

refinedhydrocarbon@blacklabelpaper.co @cvldersmith thanks guys!!

dab.710.daily It's 7:10 somewhere"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI38YDfDNDM/

I have no problem saying CLS is the way to go, but the Mystery Oil in canned butane wasn't the reason for the development of CLS, it was found after by A6 Grower here at ICMAG Concentrate Forums.

I'm quite surprised at your take on the mystery oil. I can smell it from across a room in miniscule amounts (what gets left behind post-distillations.) It smells rank, and doesn't always enjoy low temperature vaporizations on my hot plate.
I'm not saying it is the reason closed loop extraction systems came about (is it just me, or is anyone else blown away by the lack of basic chemistry practices this industry has seen - cleaning your solvent isn't new to making BHO lol)

I am also aware that many of us may intake things from even just the air we breathe that may be as or more harmful than "mystery oil" and residues from tank manufacturing.

Immediately relevant update: After taking a dab of some oil I more than know the smell and taste of, I can definitely taste a very slight funk. It's pretty well-purged with nitrogen, but not all that mystery skunk escapes, and I will almost swear by it. And the residues that accumulate over time have a more orange/reddish hue than the resin naturally produces.

Well, I mean, just because one part of the spectrum is higher doesn't mean the full spectrum isn't there. If I have numbers 1 through 10 and call that the full spectrum of numbers, does having way more 5s and 6s (but still have the rest) make it not full spectrum anymore?
Agreed. Both are full-spectrum, and both appear to come from the same extraction. I think weedaholic721 is right. Perhaps letting the last of butane evaporate at an extremely slow, controlled rate, then pouring off?

Gray Wolf said:
They state they aren't recovering the butane, so are ostensibly open blasting, so I suspect no provisions are made to remove mystery oil first.
Interesting. Where do they state this? And where are they based out of?

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The mystery oil in canned butane and the refrigerant grade tanks is indeed very nasty stuff, GW's had it analyzed. But we found not a single brand of US butane refill had enough to be of concern, though some are indeed much cleaner than others, see my Signature link.

I'm assuming everyone will be up to speed on the tank residue issues shortly, and with the Haskel, and now the Vaporhog out there, imo all the major hangups have been addressed, and hopefully few newcomers will start out open blasting.....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. Where do they state this? And where are they based out of?

It was printed on the opening page, touting it as a "better way", because it avoided cross contamination between runs.

They don't give an address, but are marketing in CA.

The problem with lighter gas sources, is that they aren't held to the same standards as reagent grades, so their quality can and does vary more.

Mystery oil sensing becomes a little like tasting the tea bag in tea, once you recognize it, after a while it jumps out at you from then on.

At sensory thresholds, it ostensibly isn't toxic, but can detract from the quality of the extract, and since SPR is a medical research organization, we have concerns for folks with compromised immune systems and damaged livers, etc.

We start with 99.5% Instrument grade, which so far consistently analyzes 99.9%, but are still able to wipe a film of mystery oil from the distillation pot after re-distilling.