What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Cool Tube

iamhigh

whoa thats an expensive hurricane tube.. lol. Those things run for $6.99 at you local craftstore, definatly support your local business on this item :p

0p0rat0r

Nice tutorial man! I always wondered how the light mounted in the center of the tube, now I know. I'm gonna have to give this a go soon.

G

Great write up and pics.

I had ebayed a bake a round a long time back and got it and found it was too narrow for my MH bulb and ended up just buying a tube for $120.

Had I seen this then... :eek:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
darrin i have jerry rigged reflectors on my diy cooltubes. i have been extremely happy with their performance untill i read the article on page 81 of the very best of weed world magazine. its about Adjust-a-wings adjustable pitch parabolic reflectors. theres a grow using two 600w yielding 47oz of bud!!!!! i think i will be gettin some of those to mount above my cool tubes, may even go with the super spreaders too and say f' the cooltubes.it says on the site and in the mag that adjust a wings fitted with super spreaders are 3 TIMES MORE EFFICIENT than standard reflectors! definitely worth lookin in to my friend.

adjustawing dot com or google it!

Last edited:

cid420

hey what kinda temps u get with 600watt cool tube

hey what kinda temps u get with 600watt cool tube

i wanna jump my closest grow to vented 600watt hps , but worried about temps any help ... thanks

weeweeman

id just like to thank user name for this thread :woohoo: easy to build and much cheaper then buying 1 from the hydro stores. i was able to put 2 150w HPS lights in 1 tube! :yoinks: the sockets are medium base and is why i was able to get 2 in there. the cabinets temperatures are now under control at 76F. before it use to hit in the high 80's. so for all you smaller scale growers, this is a perfect tutorial to follow. again THANKS USER NAME! :wave:

5302Dual-150wHPS-cooltube.JPG

WWM

dyren

wow, fantastic result weeweeman. i will be trying to rig one of these up for my 400w switchable! ill post pics if it works :D

-d

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
weeweeman, you did the damn thing! alot of small growers that could only run a single 150 could probably run 2 easily with your setup! nice goin!

great thread!

killabrown420

bummpity bump

might look into building me a cooltube... those bake arounds you can find on ebay...anyone know how long they are? seems like you could fit 2 400's

what does everybody think about linking multiple bulbs with ducting and inline fans?? do you think youd have too much trouble with the airflow?? especially being mounted the way they are in the tutorial. anybody out there have any thoughts??

I think you could do it but for a little more work I might run each one seperate and maybe use one larger fan, you know direct them all to one.
I've seen some of these at the stores, some of them have bottoms to them like a vase but are more tube shaped, if i could cut the bottom off would it be better than the "bulb" shape?
love the info, thanks. be cool

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
KB420- I think its too late for a response but i believe the bake-a-round tubes come in atleast 2 sizes. One size is about 2.75"W x 11"L; these usually come in a dual pack and are kinda rare. They can be used with 3" pc fans and such.

The other comes in about 3.625"W x 14"L; these are the ones you want to use. They fit nicely with 4" ducting.

Last edited:

jazztime420

14 inches long...or at least mine is...

and you need to use 4-inch couplings and all that with your system.

no chance of fitting 2 400's. i'd post a visual but don't keep pics of the grow on my pc these days...

Freakshow

Walmart

Walmart

High All, i just picked up 2 hurricane lamps at Walmart. They were 13.95 each and the glass bulbs are larger than the one shown earlier in this thread. Open at both ends and not quite as bulbous. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to show, but I think they will match up nicely to 6" dryer vent hose.

peace

Last edited:

froth

I know this thread is somewhat dated, but I just built a cooltube from this tutorial and now I'm trying to figure out what is the appropriate measure to vent this thing...

I bought a cheap inline duct fan for 20 $ from home depot but it doesn't really seem to be doing the trick because the temps are still about the same as without it.

the cabinet that i'm building is going to be about 24 cubic feet in total space. what kind of fan do you guys suggest I need to vent the cool tube? Additionally will this fan be powerful enough to vent the whole cab as well or do I need another fan for that too?

* edit * by the way the inline duct fan is 80 cfm

Last edited:

new deal

there are multiple ways of going about venting a cab. one method, requires a sealed cab...inorder to do this, you would take air from outside the cab, blow it across the bulb and exhaust it out of the fan. another way is to attatch a scrubber wich im sure a 20 dollar fan wouldnt be sufficient enough to handle all the pressure... hope i helped.

the inline duct fan probably isn't 80cfm, get a good pc fan (120v or 12v) that will push over 100cfm and you should be fine. i have a 120v 120cfm 4" fan pushing over my cooltube and it doesnt get too hot.

Latest posts

Latest posts