What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Cool Tube

Hey there.. just wondering what you guys thought.. what fan would you recommend to use for this type of cooltube application? I have only a 110CFM squirrel cage right now which is already pulling air through a 90cfm carbon scrubber. I would like to hook up a cooltube inline with this fan for my 250w HPS. The fan is already pulling the air through the carbon filter, through some PVC tubing and then out to the exhaust hole in the cab. If i put some vent ducting and thsi cooltube in the middle of all that (after the air is pulled through the carbon scrubber but before the fan) will my fan be powerful enough? Should i get a separate fan for it? What size would you recommend? I cannot afford anything big right now, i was thinking if i had to use another fan that i could maybe use one of those cheaper inline duct fans for helping to move air through vents in houses and stuff. What do you guys think? Thanks

Grizzer

let me get this straight, pc fan = fan inside pc tower?? If so r they all the same? I run across old pc towers for next to nothing like $1, 50 cents on half price day at thrift store..lol ok..ok..i been smokin some wreck!
STAY HIGH!
PEACE!

Grizzer said:
let me get this straight, pc fan = fan inside pc tower?? If so r they all the same? I run across old pc towers for next to nothing like $1, 50 cents on half price day at thrift store..lol ok..ok..i been smokin some wreck!
STAY HIGH!
PEACE!

Lol Jagger its just fans from computers, these little fans push alot of air some are 100cfm, i have 12volt converter lieing around so im gonna have a bunch in my grow...

Captain Parker

CanadianGrower said:
Lol Jagger its just fans from computers, these little fans push alot of air some are 100cfm, i have 12volt converter lieing around so im gonna have a bunch in my grow...

You can buy packs of 8 or 10 of those little 12v computer fans super cheap (I always order packs from newegg or tigerdirect, pack of 10 for $5 usually). Given the fans (I put 3-4 fans wired to a single old 12v converter - not an electrician, not sure if is good practice or not, but it works and has never failed for me), you not only get good airflow for your cool tube, but also use them for carbon filter setups (scent control) and set up awesome airflow throughout your cabinet - make those stems strong.

bigsmoke07

what i was thinking bout doing for my 400 was at home depot they have these in-line duct fans that are rated at 250cfm which ive heard its like 180 or 200 but i was goona put one on one side for intake for it then another one on the other side for the exaust. almost 500cfms for one 400 is sounding pretty good to me. what yall think?

KolorBlind

Any chance of getting the pic links restored? Sounds like a badass tutorial but the links are now broken :(

I realize this is a 3yr old thread so no biggie if not :)

KB

reddy1

ICMag Donor
Hey there.. just wondering what you guys thought.. what fan would you recommend to use for this type of cooltube application?

bump because this was never answered.

i'm planning on using a 300 cfm stanley blower($49w/shipping on amazon) split into two 250 watt vertical cool tubes then coupled to 1 duct at the top. this setup should be completed under $100. versus $500 at the hydro store.

is this enough air flow or should i go for 400+cfm? i will filter the intake of the blower and have flexible 4" ducting. this should lower the pressure right?

thanks in advance

toastfighter2

hey Reddy1, I think that you would be fine with the 300 cfm fan, but overkill is always better, so if there isn't a huge price jump, go big. Oh yeah, for anyone looking for a good deal on those hurricane glass tubes, check your local thrift store, thats where I picked up the ones that I have(the one near me had 3 of them for 99 cents each, so I got 2 and left one for the next guy)

toastfighter2

Just finish making my very own diy cool tube for my cab tonight, and it only took 3 hours(hps security light to remote ballast+ a little bit of drinking(not suggested for,well anyone, but it can make shit happen). Every thing looks good so far and I will post some pic in the morning

toastfighter2

I just got some pics of my cool tube, so here they are. Oh yeah, I had to make most of it with crap that was laying around the house, which is why you will have to deal with my coffee can exhaust ducting(1 one pound can and a half pound can soldiered together and foil taped), but it works like a charm.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I haven't seen the pics for this thread but judging from people's explanation of what s/he did, it's similar to how I designed my cool tube. I didn't use a hurricane lamp, but the thing I used looks similar. Check the link in my sig.