What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

going rate for trimmers

the gnome

Veteran
i'm not in CO..... anymore but figure this is a good place to post the Q on trimmers and how they're paid for services?
I'm thinking the fairest and most common way is by weight is best for most strains.

It's damn difficult to get a position anywhere since there are more than enough happy stoners with badges to apply for them. But the last I saw was around $10 an hour. They want fast and thorough trimmers. 40 plants a week in some places.

panick503

Damn 10 an hour before taxes? I'm in oregon, I'm gonna tell my guys to quit their bitchin... 125 an elbow for me...

snake11

Suppose it depends on the area but $10 an hour is pretty damn low. In seattle they have a $15 per hour minimum that got voted in so at those rates you would be paying trimmers less then they would make at McDonalds. I think no matter what the industry, treat your employees well. It will make you more productive and have fewer problems down the road. Paying by the pound properly trimmed is a great way as it is an incentive to work hard/fast.

shithawk420

Veteran
Lol 15 an hour to sit on your ass watching TV and doing almost nothing? I've trimmed many times and its not that hard.for fucks sake.

mowood3479

Veteran
I pay $20 n hr or $200 a unit... Guys always take the $20 n hr (they'd make more at $200 a unit) but that's why they're trimming I guess. No movie watching allowed. Tunes only

snake11

Lol 15 an hour to sit on your ass watching TV and doing almost nothing? I've trimmed many times and its not that hard.for fucks sake.

Your are not always paying in regards to the difficulty of the work but also the legality of it and to keep their mouths shut. This is part of the reason for higher wages vs job difficulty. Most people are looking for experienced trimmers that can trim good/fast as well as be trustworthy. That costs money.

Also dependent on where you live. There was a report in Seattle a couple of weeks ago saying that it took 75 working hours at 15 per hour to be able to afford the cheapest single bedroom in the city. Pretty fucked up but seattle has a horrible real estate scene. Someplaces $15 per hour isn't a lot. Not sure how far the dollar goes in CO.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pay $20 n hr or $200 a unit... Guys always take the $20 n hr (they'd make more at $200 a unit) but that's why they're trimming I guess. No movie watching allowed. Tunes only

Spot on.

Cheap out on wages at your own peril. Better to keep people happy, even if they don't take advantage of wage incentives.

Sitting on your ass in your underwear glued to the TV is a great way to make trimming your tent take 4 times as long. This thread is about commercial trimming, not head stash.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
fuck that I trim my own only ...trimming sucks ass...I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 20 an hr ...yeehaw

I dated a haircutter girl several years ago. She was older in her late 30's I was around 30. She had a lot of hand issues because of using scissors all day and changed careers because of it. I've never trimmed more than 4 Oz at a time, and I'm the dude that sits on the couch and watches tv doing it. I'll tell you I don't get in any hurry, but try to do a respectable job.

15-20 bucks an hour sounds fair. I imagine trimming someone else's bud hour after hour day in and day out gets old. It's always about the quality and devotion of the employee though. I might pay a slacker $10 an hour.

MelloYello

So, you discriminate against slackers and only pay half the going rate?
What if it is a gay, black, disabled, transsexual, illegal alien, midget slacker? How much then?

i heard there are all sorts of weird things going on in the colorado trim scene... have heard of people getting paid not by the pound, or even by the hour, but by the plant.

in cali the normal rate is $150 per lb for a good close trim

E

ej2012usa

200 to 250 a pound,,no less,,and no one gets paid till the pound is complete,,PAY FOR ALL LUNCHES,,DRINKS,,SMOKE,,,,ive made 500 in one day,,took me 9 hours,had to prove it could be done,,i COULD have done 3 pounds,,an ALL nighter easy money,,few breaks,,lots of bong hits,,kick back,,its all ABOUT your teqnique,,some weed is SO SHITTY AND SO DRY,,IT TAKES YOU 2 OR 3 TIMES LONGER,,THATS THE HOURLY RATE TRIM,,MOST PEOPLE JUST WANT TO MAKE 20,,60,BUCKS AND CALL IT A DAY,,HAVE THEM TRIM THE CRAP,,,SERIOUS TRIMMERS WILL DO 1 OR 2 POUNDS A DAY AVERAGE,,of nice quality,,watch OUT for BUTCHERS,,i had a guy just running through POUNDS trimming,,till we noticed he was literally just chopping EVERYTHING UP ,,,CRUNCHING UP THE BUDS TO DIFFICULT TO TRIM,,A LAZY TRIMMER COULD ALSO COST YOU MONEY IN THE LONG RUN,,I LET MY BEST TRIMMERS ALWAYS GET FIRST PICK ONE THE BUDS,,IF THAY WANT 200 GRAMS,,OR 600 GRAMS,,THAY KNOW WHAT THAY CAN DO,,TRY TO HAVE 3 TOP TRIMMERS,,DAILY,,THAT S ENOUGH TO ENSUSE SUCCESS,,HAPPY GROWING,,, I WANT TO APOLIGIZE FOR CALLING SOME GUY A LOSER,,YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE,,IM NEW ,, IM STILL A NEWBIE,,,,.

E

ej2012usa

Only paying when a pound is complete insures TWO IMPORTANT FACTORS,,,ONE ,,YOU KNOW THEIR COMMING BACK TO COMPLETE THEIR POUND,,,,TWO,,IF THAY DONT COME BACK YOU JUST MADE?$?$?of free trimmed buds,,,i seen a guy trim 300 grams,,and COULD not finish the pound,,never came back,,now you have 300,,grams of bud you did not have to pay for,,,just keep the cycle GOING,,before you know it you will have people comming and going leaving 50 grams,,70,,grams,,ect..because trimming is just not for them,,mean while you ALWAYS have trimmed buds,,,wheather you paid for it or SOME ONE gave up,,and left their buds,,,,,its buisness,,,Thats how i seen some places operate in cali,,,really hardcore,,Thats not me follow growers just sharing,,warning,basiclly,,blabbing,,hope this helped some one,,,HAPPY GROWING,,,,,