What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Storys Of A salty Dawg

wolfshadow

Howdy folks.

Im sitting here stoned and got a little free time,so I figured I would share one of my many fishing stories with yall.

I guess the year was early 80's sometime.I had got a deck hand <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> on a Long Line Grouper Boat that fished down off of Honduras
for 30 days at a time.The Old skipper was Named Pete about 60 something.Ol Pete was as SALTY as they come.Also a VERY good fisherman;) .One morning we was letting our gear soak and I was the first one up.The water was Slick calm,and not a bit of a wind blowing.Im taking me a leak off the stern{back} of the 58 foot grouper boat.Im half asleep and yawning and still trying to wake up when I noticed something floating slowly by.To my amazement it was A Bail of Murijuana!!.Well I got to looking and the water behind the boat was dotted with hundreds if not thousands of these bails!! The tide was running pretty hard and to jump in after the bail was not an option.In fear of being swept away with the hard runng current.I grabbed A fish Gaff and ran to the bow{front} of the boat,and sure enough!!! A BUNCH more floating "MY" way:D .

By the time the rest of the crew had woke up I had 8 bails of weed.Of course I only Kept the ones that floated high in the water:D .Well ol Pete was not with this ol evil weed.So it took some convincing from the WHOLE crew with a bonus of five grand to pete if he let us bring our "BOOTY" in.The outside of most the bails was wet.We took our sheets and put each of our wet stash in sheets on top of boat to dry in the sun.After we had convinced Pete that we was gonna make all this money,He decided to let us have the day off to party and celibrate.We rolled MANY doobies with Bugular rolling papers.Swam and had a good day.

The Next morning,I was up first again and doing my morning pee.
I was groggy eyed and heard A thump,thump,thump rumbling across the water.The Tide was at A slack tide.No water moving at all.I made out a helicopter at the water line about 10 miles away slowely comming our way.I strained my eyes against the morning sun to see the chopper.Then my Heart started beating like a big base drum..A Double propped Coast Guard Chopper AKA>Chinook
I rushed into the wheel house sceeming"Every Body up!!!! Now!!!
Hurry!! Lets scramble!! COast Guard is COMMING!!!" Every body sprang into action snatching and throwing sheets and all into the STILL water.By the time they was over us,The boat was totaly clean of weed.But the water all around us was completely saturated with pretty weed floating high in the water.The prop down wash from that chopper was crazy and the weed just blew all up on the side of the boat and stuck the sides.The cargo doors was open and there sat a man with A big camera taking pictures.
I ran in and got my camera and started taking pictuers back.Pete was talking on the radio and told them that we woke up and the weed was all around the boat.Then he went to cussing them for Blowing back on the sides of his boat:D

We went back to fishing.Was A LONG trip. Back in them days,was ALOT going on down in Nicaragua and when we came back thru the yukatan channel,Well we was Boarded by NAVY seals or at least I think thats what they was.

I will continue this story at another time,as I cant believe I have typed all that.
Peace all!!
<ws>

G

That is a good ole story WS. I remember we called that shit back then diesel dope. From all the bails floating through the diesel fuel in the water. Those bales use to float up in the Keys too. Shit tasted so bad from the salt water and other shit that they would float through. They would also fly in low and drop them out of the planes. The bales had cola in the middle of them, use the weed as a cushion. Oh the fun of yesterday eh.

I wanna know If you got any gator meat stashed away. Never in all the times down there in the glades, I never did get a chance to try it. How does it taste? And ya got any stone crab claws available there too? Can you tell I woke up with the munchies:D

Can't wait for the rest of your stories.

G

You left us hanging! Bet you took a 'commercial' break to spark one up huh.:p

wolfshadow

salt water taffy

salt water taffy

Thats what they called it back then.

I tried to to send the rest of the story but got logged out and lost it.Was alot of typing.I will try again some other time.
Peace!!
<ws>

wolfshadow

About a day and a half after we was handcuffed
[For about 4 hours] hand in hand around our fishing box on deck by these Navy seals I was at the wheel doing my two hour watch when I noticed a roach in ash tray.First I thought it was buglar cig,but upon smelling it I relized it was hooch:eek: This was at 2 in the morning. I slowed the boat down and took her out of gear.
Ol Pete was there in one second flat."Whats wrong"!! Whats Wrong!!" he shouted. "Pete" I said."we gonna have to have us A meeting". I showed him the roach and All "HELL" broke loose.

All hands was in the wheel house in No time at all."Alright"!! "who's Got it!" Pete shouted. I steped up being the deck boss and Told everyone to come clean right now,as we would be hitting the dock the next day and was for sure gonna be shook down even more by U.S. Customs. Well it turned out Everyone of us had Lil stash:eek:..Even when we was cuffed to the fish box. He,lol We all had just a pair of shorts on and they did not figure we could possibly have anything in them.Of course we all looked realy hung;).

We made it to the dock and Pete and crew was detained imiediately upon tieng the lines to the dock.Another 6 hours before we could unload the 20,000 lbs of grouper/snapper we had on.

Peace!!
I Stay safe hope you all enjoyed the story of A salty Dawg;)

<ws>

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Once you slip your mooring, strange things can happen out to sea.

When I was in the Navy, our ship headed out thru the Triangle and we proceeded to lose ship steering which started to work again once we were out of the Triangle. Good thing they have auxillary steering. We would have made the requisite jokes to the snipes (engineers) but our fire control system radar was down and one of our fire control computers had crapped out as well.

We busted our humps troubleshooting that radar set and computer system and we just couldn't make it work. We chased our tails on that for two days then it started working right again for no apparent reason.

Yep. Ol' Davy Jones must have been laughing thru those watery walls at us.:eek:

zunny

No Bust, No Fish.... But High on Sea

No Bust, No Fish.... But High on Sea

I try to get out at least once every week. Winter kinda sucks unless I run to the gulf stream which is almost 50 miles out. Here we are last fall trolling for Kings, spanish and Mai-Mai....

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/213t_Gunnyfishinglastweek.gif

We ended up with a few small spanish mackerals and a good time. A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work anytime!

Last edited:

RailRoadGin

nothin better...than bobbin in the middle of the water on my boat smokin a doob pickin my git fiddle and blowin my harp..lyman..the legend.....of lake E..peace RRG

wolfshadow

Dat you smiling gunner?

Trolling is fun;)>>Fishing that is.

Im gonna try and put together a May fishing trip with some of the gang.Bottom fishing for Black Grouper.In the Honey hole:tup:

<ws>

Latest posts

Latest posts